WoW Models --> WC3 Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lionhearte

Reaction score
Alright well, after several weeks (even months:banghead:) searching for help on how to convert WoW Models into WC3 maps, I am stuck. So I have come to THF to find some, hopefully, useful advice.

I only have a few questions.
1) Does anyone know of a certifiably accurate guide on how to convert WoW models into Wc3 format models that are usable in Wc3?

2) Can anyone actually explain to me (slowly, kek) on how to use most of the programs needed to convert them?
I already have the following:
WoW Model Viewer 0.5.09b
MyWarcraftStudio
Mdlvis (Not sure what version - I think 1.39b)
Yobgul's File Converter
MPQ Edit 32
The actual World of Warcraft Retail game
and Warcraft 3 and TFT

Now all I need is a guide... or someone kind enough to guide me through most of the process, because as far as I can tell, the only guides out there start halfways through the process, are in different languages, or just lead me off going "wtf?"

So thanks for helping in advance.
I bet you'll help more than one person than just me, who knows how many ppl are in the same predicament as me.

Knatten

Reaction score
I don't even know if it's possible to convert them, maybe if you made a model from scratch:confused:

PurgeandFire

zxcvmkgdfg
Reaction score
Well, I strongly don't suggest it because WoW models are huge in size and a lot of major sites don't approve maps with WoW models. Also, did you try google? :p

GooS

Azrael
Reaction score
I don't even know if it's possible to convert them, maybe if you made a model from scratch

It is possible. I've seen lots of weapons converted from WoW that have not been made from scratch.

However -im sry to say- I do not know how to do this.

But what troubles me by this is that as already said WoW models take much more space, I dont know if they use the same geosets, their animations are probably not compatible with WC3 and, well this isn't such a big problem cus it's easy to fix but their textures are in blp2 and not WC3's original blp. all in all there's alot of fixes that one would have to do before actually getting a playable WoW character into Wc3.

All I can say is good luck and if you find anything good, post it here so I can read :)

Edit I stand corrected after actually looking through that german link.
It seems blizzard has keept many of their old goodies in make animations etc. Yet if you succesfully go through with that tutorial, remember to reduce the poly amount of the models plz ;)

Sil3nt

SUP?
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure converting models from wow into wc3 isn't allowed to be discussed here.

MurderMode

Giving new meaning to co-op... slowly
Reaction score
yeah converting WoW models for warcraft 3 is actually illegal, you can't take resources from other games and use them in your own modifications because they are property of the game developers (whether you own the game or not) and they are the only ones who have the right to use their resources outside of its original purpose. It is considered to be like forgery or pirating even if you don't make profit from it.

Most War3 forums like this one and the hive workshop forbid talking about or hosting WoW extracted models.

Your best bet is to ask someone to edit a current War3 model to look like the WoW class, weapon, or armour pieces you desire.

Lionhearte

Reaction score
I thought I heard it was said that Blizzard doesn't allow using their models for public use, however, I think using it for private use was okay, seeing as if I have the game and the models on one computer, putting them into another game for my personal enjoyment should be legal. Although if that isn't the case I'm sorry for plaguing you guys.

Thanks for the site btw.
It should help with... many things.

Lionhearte

Reaction score
Ok, so I think I've pretty much figured it out...
I just need someone that speaks german.
I can read most of it but I'm stuck at the bottom...
If any of you speak German and can translate it for me I'd be really grateful :)

I just need steps 3. and the parts that say Umschreiben der .mdl - Datei
and Aufbereitung für WarCraft 3

Those are the sections I'm stuck on... once again thanks all of you guys for helping :D

W

Werewulf

Thread revival? From what i read after hearing Ghan talking of ILLEGAL shit like this is a no no.

R

Razielx5

uuummmm...actually its not illegal as long as its not Exactly the same...is what i have heard....so..idk how but its what ive herd

MurderMode

Giving new meaning to co-op... slowly
Reaction score
guys this is an ancient thread about unsupported helper.net material, just let it stay dead

S

scvn80

I see some guide on convert WoW model to War3 model.
But it only work with WoW ver <2.0
Any one know hot to convert wow model ver > 2.0 to war3 model ?

Andrewgosu

The Silent Pandaren Helper
Reaction score
I am not very comfortable with converting World of Warcraft models to Warcraft 3 ones.

I will post and ask in the blizzard forums about their policy about this subject, but as for now, these kind of topics will be closed.

If you want to play a map with WoW models, purchase the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.