Changing the game view

S

stielydan

!Help me Darg, you're my only hope! Changing the game view

I am trying to make an RPG and i want to change the view to an over the shoulder type for all players. I can lock the view onto a unit but i cant change the angle or rotation. Please help me im getting really frustrated!

p.s. I have seen and used an over the shoulder camera angle in the map DM_MOD. i cant remember the author and he didnt have an email to ask him. His map didnt have any triggers either so im stumped...

Bomook

Reaction score
unfortunately I don't think this is possible...

besides, it'll be very nauseous for the players especially when they rotate 90 degrees in half a second.:p

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
when you say 'over the shoulder' do you mean like in a third-person shooter kind of way? I've never done it myself, before, so I can't help with the specifics. If you downloaded that DM_MOD things from wc3campaigns, then I think that may have used some external engine to run it or something.

I imagine you would have to keep the camera periodically behind the unit (hint - periodic event).

Have you tried mucking around with 'lock camera target to unit' and 'lock camera orientation to unit'?

S

stielydan

HEY DARG< THANKS FOR ADVISING

-Ya i was thinking like a third-person shooter.
-i did use lock camera to unit, and orientation to unit every 2 seconds and it will follow them correctly but i cant get the camera to orientate(spin right?) with the units rotation and i cant get it to lower to that 3rd p shooter.
-Actually if u could just help with that rotation i would be happy with that, and just work on the angle later.
-The reason i really want that angle though is that in that mod i played with that angle it makes everything look so real, i mean, trees are tall and mountains look HUGE! its awesome.
-if you could help me with that i would appreciate it.

p.s. i really hope that wasnt some other engine doin that!!!

Scam_ent

Reaction score
Me and my friend did something like this in one of our maps...
we had a forest scene, which was set out with detailed paths etc,
and for cams, from about hero-head high looking slightly down (use angle of rotation and Z offset to get the cameras like that), one camera for each of the cardinal directions (north, south, east, west). Regions were set up at the begginning of each path, so that when the hero entered that region it would move over 1 second to which ever of these cameras was appropriate. Unfortunately we were too tired and inexperienced to bother with a variable system allowing the camera to swich to the opposite view when the unit went back through the region, but that should be fairly easy to do...

sorry if I explained this poorly, but I'm tired...

Cam

S

stielydan

Thanks Scam_ent...

i just figured out that i needed a camera to do this. However, i want this to follow the units all over so i need to find a way to lock a cameras orientation and target it on a specific unit.

-So, my new question is how do u lock a camera that you have made, onto a unit, so it will follow him.
-It would also be a bonus if it could face the direction that the unit is facing.

-DARG HELP ME!!!

-I have the camera at the right angle tell me i can lock it onto a unit plz!

Scam_ent

Reaction score
Lock camera target to unit should work, as far as I've found there's no way to make it lock permanently to the unit's heading...

Cam

S

stielydan

Tx again scam

-the problem is i CAN lock the normal cam to a target, but i cant lock a camera i made to target.

-How do i make my own camera lock to a target?
-and how do i make that the view for player 1,2,3 etc?

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
I can help you if you want, but I guarantee I won't have an answer for a few hours, since I have never done this before. In the meantime, scam_ent's advice is the best you will find around here.

btw, have you had a look at the warchasers map yet? It's in your maps\scenario folder. This may have some useful stuff in it.

Scam_ent

Reaction score
heh heh heh... cheers Darg...

Stielydan, if you say "Apply camera object (timed)" and then "Lock camera target to unit, it should work.

Camera - Apply [your cam]<gen> for Player 1 (Red) [obviously, put in whatever player you need here] over 0.00 seconds

Camera - Lock camera target to [your unit]<gen>, offset by (0.00 0.00) using Default rotation

Using those commands worked for me, so it should for you aswell.... Here's hoping...

hope I helped
Cam

S

stielydan

I GOT IT!!! I GOT IT!!!

Hey guys i figured it out.

-For future reference if anyone else wants to do this angle thing its...

Event
time- Every 2 seconds of game time

Action
Camera- Set (PLayer1,2,3 etc) camera rotation to (facing of unit) over 1.5 seconds

camera- set player 1 distance to target to 750 over 0 seconds

" " field of view to 120 over 0 seconds

" " angle of attack to 335 over 0 seconds]

Lock camera target for player 1 red to (unit)

I know thats not the neatest writing of a trigger but maybe one of you guys can check that and clean it up for anyone else who wants to do this. It looks soo sweet.

Thanks again for all the help Scam_ent and Darg!!!!!

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
If I can clean it up, maybe I will stick it up the top in my 'free trigger code' thread.

Scam_ent

Reaction score
congratulations man, and np...

Cam

S

stielydan

ANYONE INTERESTED IN BETA TESTING THIS RPG???

Hey im pretty much done with this map but i could use some help to make it even better. I know that there are better ways to do things like the quests but im not sure how they go. So i would liek it if anyone could help me test and give suggestins and such.

-I know the bridges look goofy but i cant get em down on the ground for some reason

Ive played the map a few times with some buddies and we mostly agree that it pretty cool.

-The angle though...u either love it or hate it!!!:D

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
for the bridges: select the bridge and press ctrl and pgup or pgdown.

Unforunately, I can only help beta test during weekends, I'm pretty busy during the week.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.