[Contest] Artificial Intelligence Contest

Rheias

New Helper (I got over 2000 posts)
Reaction score
Artificial Intelligence Contest

Note: If anyone wishes to be the second judge, look at the Second Judge Position details at the bottom of the post.

What is this about?

This contest is about creating an Artificial Intelligence (AI) system. You will take a hero from one of the four races in Warcraft III and create for it Artificial Intelligence system. In other words, you will create a system that will control the hero to fight enemies. It is not that simple though, you'll need to consider abilities, maybe count the units around the hero, see if he might want to run, etc.

So all you need to do is to create an AI system that will control the hero and order it to fight and battle against his foes.

What are the rules?

Rules, we all love rules. You know the saying “Rules are made to be broken?” Well, feel free break this contest’s rules, but be sure that you will be disqualified if you do so. Now that we got that in mind, we can proceed.

• The AI system may only affect the chosen hero and nothing more.
  • Your hero must start at level 1, if you want, you can give him abilities as he levels.
  • You may use GUI or Jass, however you may not use a piece of code that wasn’t written by you, unless it is a published system, such as Caster System, Kattana’s handle system, ABC, and so forth. If you are not sure if you may use a certain piece of code, post it and I’ll approve / disapprove it.
  • You may use only standard heroes (heroes that can be played through a non-custom game, custom games include campaigns). If you want to use a custom hero, you must create it yourself. Further more, you must post it to get an approval from me. Using unapproved heroes will get you disqualified. Your hero will need to be more or less balanced to the standard heroes and must be created especially for this contest.
  • You may not get direct help from someone when working on this AI. For example posting your whole code into thehelper and asking “Why doesn’t it work?” won’t make me especially happy.
  • In case that wasn't clear you may NOT use the AI editor, actually, you may not use anything but the trigger editor.
  • You may not make a hero stronger than it is. That is, you may not, for example, add hit points to your hero when he is low on life. Further more, your AI may not affect any other units but the hero.
  • Your AI must support leveling, that means giving abilities to the hero when it levels etc.

Those are the rules for you submission, very trivial rules, however, breaking them means disqualification of your work. Also, there are a few thread rules.

• Do not spam. Shall I say it again? No spam. Again? Spam is not approved. Makes sense? This thread is for the submissions and questions, it is not a thread to serve as an off-topic forum. By spamming you disturb other contestants, and you threat your presence in the contest.
  • WIPs are not only allowed, but encouraged. Let us know what you are up to!
  • When submitting your map, please tell us what your AI supports, what hero is it based on, and perhaps a screenshot or two. It makes it much easier to see what you got there.

Also, nothing too complicated, just follow those rules and we are good.

Grading

• Coding 40 / 100 - Coding will determine 40% of your work. That is a lot. Better remove all leaks and try to keep you code efficient. Note that Jass is better than GUI, however you won’t lose too many points for using GUI, as long as your code isn’t too bad you could easily get 30 / 40 even when using GUI.
  • Complete 30 / 100 - How many aspects does your AI supports? Does it support using spells? Attacking? Running? If you'll drop things out, you might lose points in this category.
  • Strongest 20 / 100 - 20 points will go to the winner in the AI competion. Once all AIs are complete I will run a map testing each hero's AI abilities, the strongest one gets 20 points! The system will run as a competion, two winners fight against two winners etc.
  • General feeling 10 / 100 - Everything else goes here. The general feeling, readability of your code, how the AI looks and so forth.
  • Bonus 5 / 5 - Creating a custom hero that gets approved for this contest will give you another small bonus, for your time and effort.

Deadline

The deadline is a month from now December 6th. It gives you enough time to make a nice AI system, but not too long, we want to keep it going. At December 6th 12:00 P.M. the contest is closed you could not enter any more submissions.

Prize

Besides the great honor of winning the contest? Well, I can’t officially offer more than a reputation from me, however, I hope other members would be kind enough to spare some reputation to the winner.

Perhaps an admin could get involved and offer a better prize, but at the moment that’s what you got.

Contestants

• ManyTimes
  • rodead (Submitted)
  • Andrewgosu
  • Esb
  • Chocobo (Removed)
  • Cr4xzZz
  • david2cool
  • dhk_undead_l
  • Romek - (Removed)
  • Uareanoob
  • Hadha
  • R@i_no_Wyrm (Submitted)
  • Denmax (Submitted)
  • Shadow14l (Submitted)
  • Aslin - (Submitted)

Second Judge Postion

In order to apply for the second judge position, you must meet the following requirements. If you think you fit, post in this thread saying you are interested, and I will contact you through Private Messeging to get futher information from you.

• You must know Jass. Not only that, but your level needs to be above basic, you don't have to know everything there is to know about Jass, but good enough.
  • You must speak English well, if I can't understand what you are saying, how am I going to communicate with you? English doesn't have to be your native language, but you need to know how to control it.
  • You must be able to spend a few hours of your time once the contest ends to grade the submissions.
  • If you ever created an AI triggers, and you can show them to me, that's a bonus.

That is all. For now.

The Duel Map Credits to Andrewgosu

As said above, there will be a map to serve as a dueling place, the winner of all the duels will get 20 / 100 points. I will just tell you that the dueling map will be of type mini-AoS. I will not say more, for obivious reasons.

Example Map V1.1

Here's a map I created in about an hour to an hour and a half that includes AI triggers for the Paladin. Go ahead and download it, you could learn a thing or two and see how easy it is to make AI. YOU MAY NOT COPY ANY OF THE CODE, in fact if you could try not to do a Paladin AI, I would prefer that.

Small Note: This map is a really quick one, I expect your AI triggers to be better. Everything is in GUI, so you could all understand it, might be a leak or two over there. *Shrugs*.

Thanks for reading, keep in mind that this contest is supposed to be friendly, not about winning, or seeking some “easy reputation”. Act accordingly.

Contest CLOSED. Gradings:

FIRST PLACE: R@i_no_Wyrm (Tauren)
Coding: High.
Complete: Quite High.
Duels: 2ed place, 15 points
General: Average high.
Bonus: No.
80 points.

2ed place: Rodead (Pit Lord)
Coding: Low
Complete: High
Duels: 1st place, 20 points.
General: Quite High.
74 points.

3rd place: Denmax (Mountain King)
Coding: Average high.
Complete: Average high.
Duels: 4th place, 5 points.
General: Very high.
70 points.

4th place: Shadow14l (Shadow Hunter)
Coding: Average.
Complete: Average high.
Duels: 3rd place, 10 points.
General: High.
66 points.

5th place: cr4xzZz (Mountain King)
Coding: High
Complete: Average
Duels: -
General: Average
Bonus: No
56 points.

6th place: Aslin (Crypt Lord)
Coding: Low
Complete: Average
Duels: -
General: High.
44 points.

Attachments

• AI Example.w3x
    25.4 KB · Views: 304

ManyTimes

I'm so lonesome I could cry...
Reaction score
Count me in. Do not know if I manage get it done because of a shit-load of exams waiting at the end of november start of december, nor if I bother, but, yes, count me in!

>>I hope other members would be kind enough to spare some reputation to the winner.

Add me, if you are going to make some kind of list over the members that adds rep or something like that.

Comments: none special, just that why all the buzz, mentioning things three times and so on, just makes it a hazzle (bother) to read! Example, you do not need to mention that you get disqualified two times. You do not need to say all the things about spamming, I mean, it cannot be misunderstood, now can it ?
You also seem to drag out some sentences, which makes it longer to read!
Thats all! :)

Rheias

Reaction score
> Add me, if you are going to make some kind of list over the members that adds rep or something like that.

It's nothing official, simply when I post the winner, if you would be kind enough to slip a little reputation to him that would be nice.

> Rest of ManyTimes' post

Just to make everything clear, I might repeat a few things few times, but that to make sure no one misunderstands me.

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a question.

You mentioned something about having the hero run back to the base to gear up/whatever.
That doesn't mean that you need to make the AI for the whole race, right?
Just the hero?

MoonSlinger

I Love using Cheap Tricks... only Results matters
Reaction score
Some question:

As far as I know (which is not much), AI Editor governs the welfare of the whole race instead of just the Hero, does that means we have to use normal Triggers to work for this AI contest.

If we are using Normal Triggers, then will the Computer AI not try to override the orders we try to set?
Example: My hero is at 80% health, I want her to go home and rest. However, the computer decides that the hero should be in battle and sent her out again. Would that not simply ignore my orders?

I would rep the winner too.... this looks like something i cannot do.

Rheias

Reaction score
> Ghan_04

Nope, nothing but an example.

> we have to use normal Triggers to work for this AI contest.

Yes.

> If we are using Normal Triggers, then will the Computer AI not try to override the orders we try to set?

Any change to the map removes AI from the computers. So no.

Heh, it seems like there are more reppers than contestants. This is not such a hard thing to do. Not at all. You can give a glance at maps that has AI to try to learn a bit.

Rheias

Reaction score
> Explain plz

No need to start working on the whole race. Just put two heroes, one with AI, one that will be controlled by the tester, make them fight, perhaps put here and there a shop where the AI hero could shop in etc.

> Also, where do i find a tut on how to map?

To do the AI just use regular triggers, the is no special AI language.

You guys make of it much more than it is. :rolleyes:

diamondhero5

Reaction score
>To do the AI just use regular triggers, the is no special AI language.

O, i thought u had to do something special\

P.S. Add me to contestants list

Rheias

Reaction score
> Wait... are you asking for people to +rep the winner? I will since I'm no good at doing AI if there is a slot left of course.

If you could, that would be great.

> How do you change the text under your name?

You wait until you got 100 or more reputation points.

Rheias

Reaction score
> Can i use the twinker?

Sure, go a head.

I got a feeling that people are a little drawn back becuase AI seems like a lot of work. So, I'm changing a bit the contest. All you need to do is to create a battle AI. What does it mean? No need to add something like "buy items".

Just create an AI, so the hero could look for enemies, fight them, using abilities etc. That takes about the same time the creating a spell take. And it is by all means not harder.

Rheias

Reaction score
> am i allowed to look at other maps with AI?
but not copy?

Yes.

Still waiting for more people to join, we got enough reputation here so even AceHart would want to join. :rolleyes:

Anachron

Reaction score
Are funmap AI's ( Like my Footman AI ) included aswell?

I made Hero Arena AI's, Footman Wars AI's, currently I am working on a boardgame AI... I think if an AI is makeable for an funmap you should do one :)

MoonSlinger

I Love using Cheap Tricks... only Results matters
Reaction score
I got a suggestion. :D

Why don't we create a simple 1v1 AOS-type game
- Map can be set to a simple single lane map with constant creep spawn
- For Heroes, lets not think too much, just grab them from WarChasers.w3m
- For Items, we can just use the same from the map, with price modification

It becomes a simple player vs computer
Contestants will have to pick a Hero from that map to code
This way, we can focus on making combat AI, and ignore other related problems :p

Andrewgosu

The Silent Pandaren Helper
Reaction score
Just a suggestion, why not uploading a demo arena where the AI controlled heroes have to fight?

I mean, 1vs1 battles, the group winner advances until the final 2 contestants remain.

The winner of the last battle wins the competition.

Of course, that mean the heroes from the submissions have to be transferred to the demo arena map.

Hint, hint, better triggering points for easier implementation.

P.S

don’t make it so powerful no one can beat it.. Make it so we could kill your hero, but not easily.

That is plain stupid. The harder to kill, the better the AI.

At least, in my opinion.

Rheias

Reaction score
> may i do the Hero manoroth from the Undead campaing?

I would rather not, as it is not playable in the standard games, you can try to change it a bit and upload it as a custom hero, and I'll see if it can get approved.

> dhk_undead_l

I'm not sure I got you, but all you will be judged on is your AI hero, thus making AI for units or something like that would not count towards your grade.

> MoonSlinger

You can make AoS, Hero Arena, whatever, as long as I can see how your hero fights other heroes / units.

> Andrewgosu

This is a nice suggestion. 20 Points bonus for the winner in the AI competion, I'll add that, thanks for the suggestion!

> That is plain stupid. The harder to kill, the better the AI.

I wasn't clear, I meant do not make hero stronger than usual, for example to add mana points to them if they are going to die, use the usual resources. I'll edit that as well.

Andrewgosu

The Silent Pandaren Helper
Reaction score
I wasn't clear, I meant do not make hero stronger than usual, for example to add mana points to them if they are going to die, use the usual resources. I'll edit that as well.

Sounds good.

Anyway, count me in.

Lets just pray I'll finish something this time.

(I will repute the winner, also)

Rheias

Reaction score
Andrewgosu, you got a month to do a couple of hours work. You'll handle it. :p

Anyway, we got 4 contestants already, that's good, but the more the merrier.

I'm still looking for someone to fill the second judge position!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.