Created Hero Within Range?

M

madmike

Hey there. As you may have already guessed, I need some help with a problem I've encountered and just can't get out of.

I'm working on a map that includes a gameplay element of dodging enemies -- i.e., touch them and you die -- and I have hit a snag.

I'm confused about how to set a trigger using a Hero that is created after the game starts (not one previously placed).

The Event for the trigger is "Unit - A unit comes within 70.00 of X". The "X" unit, though, is where the problem lies. The player-owned Hero only enters the game after it begins, so I can't pick what unit I want. The only options are heroes that are currently on the map... but there aren't any. How can I specify who dies and is revived when one of the four created heroes gets too close to an enemy? I have the rest of the trigger in the bag, with the Hero being revived after a set amount of time. The only thing is that, like I said, I can't specify the Hero. This is basically because the player chooses his Hero at the start of the game, and it is then created and sent to its starting position.

If anyone can tell me how to specify the seperate Heroes (maybe through variables, but I couldn't find a suitable one) in that trigger, I would appreciate it greatly (and Last Created Unit wouldn't work, because there are four Heroes created). Thanks!

~Mike:cool:

Scam_ent

Reaction score
An easy way of doing this is the following:

Use a variable called something like "player1hero" and make it a unit variable.
Then, when player1's hero is moved to his starting location, use
Action: Variable - Set Variable
and set your player1hero variable to the last moved unit. (this should work, if not, i'm sure u can find a way).
U'll then be able to select this variable as if it was a unit.

Cam

M

madmike

I understand the Set Variable thing, but the variables still won't show up when I'm specifying a unit in the "Unit within range" trigger... maybe because I'm not using "last moved unit", but "last created unit". Here, let me show you the trigger...

Event

-Unit - A Unit enters TaurenSelect

Condition

-(Unit-type of (Triggering Unit)) Equal to Selector of Heroes

Actions

-Trigger - Turn off (This trigger)
-Unit - Create 1 Tauren of the Earth for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) at (Center of EarthHeroSpawn) facing 270.00 Degrees
-Unit - Pause (Last created unit)
-Set EarthHero = (Last created unit)
-Trigger - Run Setup Hero (ignoring conditions)

And that's it. "EarthHeroSpawn" is the spawn region, "EarthHero" is the Unit Variable. Maybe I'm doing something wrong with it... I set it as a Unit Variable that isn't an array and without a preset value. I figured it didn't need one since I set it to equal the newly created unit in this trigger... but I don't know.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Scam_ent

Reaction score
Hmm...
maybe if i see your trigger for dodging enemies?

Cam

M

madmike

Thanks anyways, man, I figured out a different way around the problem. Instead of just creating a new unit, I just sent the display unit to its spawn point.

Unfortunately, I've run into a different kink... it is the one last problem I'm having with this map, though.

Basically, the game has four players, and a leaderboard is kept for each individual. At the end of 10 minutes, I want to display victory for the winning player but defeat the other three. How can I do this? I know the Event is "Game - Elapsed game time is 600 seconds", but I'm at a loss for afterwards. Any ideas on that?

Thanks.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.