Report Digital dependence 'eroding human memory'

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
An over-reliance on using computers and search engines is weakening people's memories, according to a study.

It showed many people use computers instead of memorising information.

Many adults who could still recall their phone numbers from childhood could not remember their current work number or numbers of family members.

Maria Wimber from the University of Birmingham said the trend of looking up information "prevents the build-up of long-term memories".

The study, examining the memory habits of 6,000 adults in the UK, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxembourg, found more than a third would turn first to computers to recall information.

The UK had the highest level, with more than half "searching online for the answer first".

Read more here. (BBC)

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Just because you dont remember unimportant information does not mean you have worse memory. You just have more capacity to remember different things. I bet that memories of movie and internet trivia is on a big rise compared to previous eras.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Just because you dont remember unimportant information does not mean you have worse memory. You just have more capacity to remember different things. I bet that memories of movie and internet trivia is on a big rise compared to previous eras.
I could argue that our habits of looking up answers now has this sort of priority:
  1. Try to remember what it is.
  2. Can't remember? Look up answers from sources through our electronic devices (PC/laptops, smartphones, etc.).
  3. Repeat until the answer is known, or give up.
And never shall the media say that we are memorizing different things. They will always go for the most negative connotations they could muster for that sweet, sweet karma (views).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.