Hero Help Needed!

U

Unregistered

I heard from somewhere that you can compensate for the fact that heroes only go up to level ten by transforming them into a new level one hero that is more powerful.

Does anyone know how to do this???

Scam_ent

Reaction score
hmmm

I'm doing something slightly like this in my map, so maybe I can help.

You'll need to find out what special effects are used for the level up graphics, and what sounds, if you want to do this properly.
I'm to tired right now to give u an example trigger, but I'll try to explain what to do.

You'll want to say that when your hero (we'll call him Bob) reaches 100% experience when he's on level 10, to get rid of him, and give all his items to a new Hero (Bob2), as well as having Bob2 learn all the same skills as Bob. You'll also want to play the level up spec fx and sounds at the same time as you put Bob2 in Bob's place. With me so far?

In my map i'm having the ability to change between armoured, unarmoured and riding a phoenix, so I have the armoured and phoenix-mounted version of my hero sitting in a room down the bottom of the screen, as a different team, and when ever my active hero learns a skill, they do too. I also have it that when I change between them, all items get transported.

Alternatively, you could just make it so heroe's get 25% of future experience, so that it's harder to get to lvl 10.

I don't know if all of this is possible, because I havn't tried this exact thing myself, but it should be. (no doubt Darg can correct me on this:rolleyes: :D )

I've explained this really badly, havn't i?

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
If you don't mind waiting, the 10 level cap will be lifted in the expansion pack. I think the limit has now been raised to about 10,000 (somewhere around there).

In the xpack you will also be able to retrieve and set hero stat information, which will make a lot of things easier to do.

I'm not sure if it's totally worth it starting to make new maps now if you plan to buy the xpac. You may find your map has to be changed enough to make it not worth the conversion. On the other hand, if your map has no imported files, then you should be okay.

Scam_ent

Reaction score
wicked!

I know next to nothing about X-pac, but i agree, that'll make heaps of thing so much easier. How soon is it coming out?

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
The worldwide release is scheduled for 1st July.

Edit: And trust me when I say that the xpac editor is going to totally rule. :)

Scam_ent

Reaction score
I trust you, but now I'm really ticked off!

Bcoz I've only just started my new RPG map, and it's really going sick, but I strongly doubt it'll be finished by 1st of July. (about 3 or so days work and I haven't even finished the opening cinematic!). I've imported music files, but only a few, and i havn't even started custom spells and abilities yet.
Will it be easily transferred to X-pac do u think?

Sail with me across the sea
so we can see what's going on
along the way red stack the bong...
-Unwritten Law "Sound Siren"

Cam

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
Don't do the custom spells now. The format for the spell data file in the xpac has completely changed and your spells most likely won't work with the xpac. Importing music files is fine. Working on standard stuff like making cinematics and other triggers, and modifying unit stats too should all be fine.

The xpac editor will come with a spell editor, so you may not have to bother learning how to make spells right now.

Scam_ent

Reaction score
A spell editor? So that would be abilities too?

It'll get so common then, just like making your own heroes....

Oh well....

I still believe it when you say
it's another perfect day
-American Hi-Fi "Another Perfect Day"

Cam

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
definition-wise, spells and abilities are the same thing (at least in warcraft 3)

yes, i agree, giving us an easy way to edit spells is going to encourage every man and his dog to start making custom spells. It goes without saying that we are going to see the desecration of custom spells over the next few months, as n00bs are going to be doing some very stupid things with them.

Scam_ent

Reaction score
Urgh...just think....power players "let's make a spell that deals 1000 damage to all enemies!"

I havn't even started making spells yet and that makes me shudder

Never did like noobs, although i s'pose i still am one compared to alot of Warcraft III mappers...

Blank face and a bitter taste
coz the world world world won't wait...
-Superheist "7 Years"

Cam

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
you're a newb not a n00b

newb = rookie
n00b = idiot/moron/someone who appears to do really dumb things

Scam_ent

Reaction score
Ah, kool.
I never did understand the difference between newbs and n00bs.
And there I go, proving myself a newb...

Cam

U

Unregistered

Please don't think that I was going to use it to make stupid spells.
I share the same thoughts as Scam_ent on: "Urgh...just think....power players "let's make a spell that deals 1000 damage to all enemies!"

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
Um, who are you? Are you the guy who made the first post up the top? Cause you aren't even asking about spells there.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.