I need help so bad

U

Unregistered

Hello everyone. I need some serious help. I hope you guys are ready for a challenge!
I will explain everything is chronilogical order.

This is the EXACT system I have
---------------------------
AMD ATHLON 900MHz
IWILL KK266 w/ VIA KT133A CHIPSET (Original BIOS) (Original MoBo Drivers)
512MB SDRAM (NOT DDR) (two 256MB STICKS)
VisionTek XTASY GeForce 4 Ti 4600 DDR 128MB (40.72 drivers)
Sound Blaster Audigy MP3+ (latest drivers)
Quantum Fireball 30GIG HD
Linksys LNE100TX (Original Drivers)
Win98se (ALL service packs, critical ups, suggested ups, DX8.1a, etc.)
---------------------------

======
PART I
======

I will start out by saying the above configuration worked like a dream. Only two things
did not work.
1. The world editor(WC3WE) for warcraft 3 would randomly freeze (not crash, FREEZE, including my system).
2. I just bought Lord of the Rings FotR for PC and the textures were scrambled on all models.
3. I had latest patches for both above mentioned games.

In a quest to figure out why the WC3WE would randomly freeze my system and in efforts to be able
to play LotR FotR for PC without scrambled textures, I went on a quest to solve the problem.
Here is what I did.

1. I downloaded the newest (and appropriate) 4in1 drivers VIA has released for all their MoBos.

However, after I installed them, it gave me an error saying my video adapter was incompatable
and of coursed force me into some 16 color bullshit. Also, when I went into my device manager, it
said my primary IDE (HD) was not working properly. So, I am like WTF. I uninstalled the 4in1 MoBo drivers
and everything is back to normal, but my problem is not solved of course. I heard that if you have an
older bios, you need to update it before the 4in1s will work.

1. I downloaded the newest (and appropriate) BIOS for my KK266

So, I make my bios flashable, I flash my bios with awdflash, back up my old bio, and install
the new bios. (I guess the whole process is called flash). And, when my computer starts up, I immediately go
into bios and turn on fail safe default settings. SUCCESS. I did not screw up my computer. At this point,
WC3WE and LotR FotR still have same problems. Now that the bios is newer, I figure I will try the
via 4in1 drivers, since that was the whole point in flashing the bios anyway.

1. AGAIN, I install the newest (and appropriate) 4in1 drivers VIA has released.

Ah! This time my computer does accept the drivers. It does not complain about my video adapter
or my Primary IDE like before. Unfortunanlty, both of the above mentioned problems (WC3WE & LotR)
are still not resolved. ARGH! So, now I am desperate. Somehow I run across these leaked 41.09 drivers.
(this was like 2 days before they release the official 41.09)

1. I install the leaked nVIDIA Detonator 3 41.09 drivers

OMFG! It worked! I dont know why or how but somehow both the WC3WE and LotR run now like a dream
no freezing or scrambled textured! I must admit, I was a happy camper.

=======
PART II
=======

Ok, so now my computer works, I am in hog heaven. The very next day, my friend comes over with XP
for me. I am like drueling. Well sure. So I backup all my personal stuff.

1. I install Windows XP Professional (not on top of but a fresh format in NTFS)
2. I download ALL service packs, criticals, DX 8.1a, etc.
3. I download all of my drivers but the ones for XP.
(So my BIOS stays the same of course, but I reinstall [after xp install and update] 4in1s, non leaked
41.09s, Audigy drivers)

So, lets review. I have xp pro with FULL AND COMPLETE updates. AND, I also have all of the new and
appropriate drivers for all my hardware. And here is what is weird. Warcraft 3 (the game not the editor)
now crashes within the first 60 seconds of play. It crashes three different ways.

1. The most common crash was a soft crash to the desktop. It displayed a message saying something about a
memmory dump.

2. This crash was odd, it would freeze the game and my computer, and my speakers would squeel.

3. The one pissed me off, but was the least common. My computer would just restart. NO warning or nothing.

I am like WTF? I wanna play damnit! So this is everything I do to try to fix the problem.

1. scandisk and defrag
2. 40.72, 40.71, 40.41, 30.82 drivers for my vid card.
3. turning off 3d positional audio
4. disabling sound card in device manager
5. reinstalling direct x 8.1a
6. runing it is opengl and swtnl
7. changing the PCI texture memory from 63MB to 2MB
8. uninstalling the 4in1 mobo drivers
9. installed memmory zipper

Let me note that the weirdest thing about everything is tried is not that NOT A SINGLE one of those solutions
worked, but that not a single one changed the outcome of the error. I GOT THE SAME 3 errors no matter what I changed!
At this point, I figure I will just no play WC3. I buy a new game called hegemoina (a german game that is fun but
highly graphicly intense). I install, get the newest patch (1.7) and play. SAME THING! I dont f***ing belive it! The
SAME exact three things happen in the first 60 seconds of play. A soft crash, a freeze with squeeling, or a random reboot.
Now I am freaking. The only two things I have not changed is the OS and BIOS.

1. I reformat, install win98se back on my machine.
2. I installed my NIC card drivers so i could get to internet.
3. I get ALL THE UPDATES FOR windows 98 se, DX8.1a, IE 6, service packs, criticals, etc.
4. Then I install all my drivers that are for win98. I got the 41.09, the 4in1, the audigy drivers.
5. I reinstall original bios, and set on fail safe settings.

SAME ERROR! now I have 2 games warcraft 3 1.04 and Hegemonia 1.07 and both crash about 60 secs into the game.
I still get the SAME THREE ERRORS! WTF! This is probably where i was dumbfounded. NOT ONLY HAVE I NOW CHANGED AND TWEAKED
EVERYTHING INCLUDING MY OS AND BIOS. BUT I AM BACK TO THE EXACT (AND I MEAN EXACT) SAME SETUP THAT I HAD WHEN EVERYTHING WAS WORKING
JUST FINE!

now you know my sad story. I have tried everything and failed. IS THERE ANYONE WHO IS SMART ENOUGH TO KNOW WHAT TO DO?

thanks for your time and goodluck.

Nicholas Kimble

I

iamtheposter

please....

I hate to sound desperate. but, I hope you forums geniuses read my post above and know what to do. Cus I dont. Thanks

Rapmaster

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Just do a scandisk and a defrag and it will work fine.

Just kidding =) That's what Blizzard tech support would probably tell you....

Hmmm I don't know what else you could do. Nvidia has officially released the 41.09 drivers as beta so maybe you could try those instead of the leaked version.... probably the exact same though.

Have you tried disabling sound and running the game in opengl or swtnl mode (again)? It can help narrow it down.
Try ripping out the sound card and network card and other unnecessary stuff-- to isolate any resource conflicts. Especially any old ISA cards. You could do this through Device Manager too but I like to do it physically (assuming you are comfortable playing inside the case) :) Obviously you will be testing the game in complete silence and singleplayer only.

These are things to try but they may lead nowhere.

You could also try the memory tester program at www.goldmemory.cz -- it can take several hours for the full test. It can find problems with your memory caused by defects or bad voltage.

I realize this may not help but I didn't want you to think you were being ignored =)

U

Unregistered

interesting

first off, thanks rapmaster. I have already begun to rip things in and out of my system. The worst part about this error is the irregularity of the problem. It makes it damn hard to isolate random crashes and restart.
I found something interesting though. I not only have been removing card in and out, but moving them around as well. I think I may have found it, but I am not certain. I moved my linksys nic to a different pci slot, reinstalled drivers. And I have not had any problems for about 2 hours of play which is exceptional. I dont know if it is chance or that the pci slot was bad or what. The last thing I would think it was would be the nic. Anyways, I will keep you guys posted. I hope this is the fix.

L

LT.Homer Simpson

You may need to install the service pack, also xp pro has an issue with the refresh rate--its a bug with nvidia drivers and xp --this could cause your soft crash.

http://www.voodoofiles.com/2633

PS: Also try placing the switch -opengl after .exe in the target line of the games shortcut properties for W3.

U

Unregistered

darn

my problem is not resolved. I still crash. Just not as often. does anyone have any clue what this is? hardware? I think I am out of ideas here.

U

Unregistered

noluck

I have had no luck. Still getting the stack dump register errors. I think I just wanna end all my woes. I bought a gun today. If I bury the muzzle far enough into my mouth, my neighbors should not hear it. goodbye cruel world.

t'kron

Rest in Peace My Friend
Reaction score
Did you check out your memory as Rapmaster suggested.

Bad memory can cause lots of unusual problems. I believe that both of those games utilize all your available memory, i know that the Blizzard game does. Try checking you memory using goldmemory:

http://www.goldmemory.cz/download.htm

F

federalreserve

I am in the same boat here with you. Warcraft 3 hard locks my computer randomly within 1-10 minutes of gameplay. Sometimes I get an error about a memory dump error, however, my computer is no where near the same peices as yours.

AMD Athlon XP 1600+
ABIT KG-7 Motherboard
512 MB DDR RAM
Sound Blaster Live! value
ATI Radeon 8500 (64mb version)
Windows XP SP1 and all updates

I tried swapping memory sticks in and out to see if anything was fixed from it, nothing worked. I tried absolutely everything you have, and more! Nothing that anyone has thrown at me has fixed my lock up problem. In fact, that goldwave program causes my computer to lock up after about 30-60 seconds around 9% of completion. I'm not too sure what else there is left to do.

-Justin

U

Unregistered

Same here

my warcraft 3 and hig graphic apps ran fine....i recently upgraded my system....im running a

ECS Elitegroups p4vdx
128 DDR
pentium 4 2.4 ghz
Ati rage 128 Xpert 128
win 98 SE.....

I have the same exact trouble..........my games used to run fine on 500 mhz pentium 3....with same video card and a abit board........Im clueless....i await the final conclusion to ll of this.....

J

jtong01

It would be nice to list the capacity of your system power supply. It sounds to me that you have a shortage of power. Well since it worked for you before, it might be marginal. Just my guess.

U

Unregistered

hey

Hey, I am the one who started this post. I am currently trying to get my power info for you. I am also be getting a error message for you guys too.
sorry u guys who have the same problem. I know it is wrong, but I am conforted that I am not the ONLY one on the damn planet with this problem. I was starting to think I was. I will be back with more info about my memory stack dumps.

A

Author-of-Post

hey

DDHELP caused an invalid page fault in
module NVDD32.DLL at 0167:b00d8a75.
Registers:
EAX=4b7fffff CS=0167 EIP=b00d8a75 EFLGS=00010206
EBX=f4095740 SS=016f ESP=0083fb7c EBP=f4095740
ECX=f4095a80 DS=016f ESI=f32f7ac0 FS=2fcf
EDX=00000000 ES=016f EDI=f4095a80 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
c7 40 14 00 00 00 00 85 c0 74 03 89 50 14 ff 4e
Stack dump:
f4095740 b00ef3a2 f4095740 f4095740 b00ef567 f4095740 f4095740 8347ff2c
b00ef4a8 8347fe00 b013cbb0 000

there it is! the exact error I get. Now, remember, sometimes I dont get this error. I get random freezing and random restarting too! Good luck guys!

L

LT.Homer Simpson

DDhelp is an vid card/dirextx error, usually caused by three things.
One. Bad drivers--try reinstalling drivers or using a different version.
Two. Coprruption in the DirectX files--Try reinstalling and using latest DirectX.
Three. If your using 95, 98, or Me. Its most lately an IRQ conflict (even if it doesn't show a conflict).
Each pci/agp card under 9X windows versions should have there own irq number. If they your vid, sound or nic/modem share an irq together, on the same number, you are going to have numerous errors. Try to rearrange the cards in there pci slots to change irqs. Also you can move irq thru device manger and thru bios. Always try not to use pci slot 1 number if possible (slot next to agp slot) this can cause issues with some mobs.
NOTE: Sharing a irq number with pci steering is ok.

A

author

hey

well, thanks for the advice.

1. I know that it is not my drivers because I have gone through 10+ different versions.

2. I have reinstalled DX8.1a numerous times.

3. OK! you might be on to something! When my computer boots, it always says my vid card is on irq 11 and that my serial port is on irq 11. No other sharing happens though. Any ideas?

J

jtong01

Re: hey

Originally posted by Unregistered
Hey, I am the one who started this post. I am currently trying to get my power info for you. I am also be getting a error message for you guys too.
sorry u guys who have the same problem. I know it is wrong, but I am conforted that I am not the ONLY one on the damn planet with this problem. I was starting to think I was. I will be back with more info about my memory stack dumps.

Have you fixed your problem yet? Despite the different symptoms of hardware/software failures caused by it, the power supply problem is often overlooked.

Since you have AMD Athlon, Geforce4 TI, and Soundblast Audigy, all famous for their power hungry, you are very likely running into this problem. So if you tried everthing else but with little improvement, you might want to buy a serious 400W~450W power supply with combined output of 5V and 3.3V as high as possible. Good luck.

U

Unregistered

Fixed my exact sme problem...

i wrote previosuly.....i diagnosed my problem as bad ddr ram.......I bought micron 256 megs of pc2100 and corrected all errors with this problem.....On another note i was getting the sme stack error you were...almost identical

[email protected]

S

StiGmA-1

no it isnt the power supply... unless u are currently experiencing crashes/freezes in *everything* including wc3 then maybe u do need a new power supply. but if the crashes are only limited to wc3 then i dont think its the power supply's fault

my proof for this is that i have tried the power supply idea (i went from 200 watt ps to 350 watt) and still have the crashes (i really, really thought this was the problem since i was runnin geforce4 + a whole bunch of other stuff)

what im beginning to think now is that there may be a motherboard incompatability issue with certain ram (i read this after rummaging through my Asus K7M Slot-A manual, which stated that specific ram had to be used with the MB or else crashin and other problems could occur). anyways maybe u could list ur MB + types of ram and we can see whats causing the problem for all of us...

*note: its not really a "mb incompatability" but more like a "wc3 doesnt like the ram" thing since crashing for me only occurs in wc3

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.