Lag!

A

AMPowers

Ok, i have a major lag problem... I used to get no lag at all, but now i get 6 red. I have aol, but is that really the problem? This really sux cuz i never can play with my lag. Everyone always boots me! Is there a program that i can dl that will help with lag or anything to hide my lag? Thanks, AMPowers

Ilendil

Most Respected Former Admin
Reaction score
AOL... aka America on Lag. He he.

Anyways... I can't think of anything you can download to help you with this lag... you can always try to ask the helpers zone. Or, as a last resort, get a different ISP, or a cable or DSL and whatnot.

A

AMPowers

I know, thats the prob, I have DSL... Its called AOL DSL... or somethin like that... I already have DSL, and it goes hecka slow... what should i do?

Ilendil

Reaction score
IMO, the only good thing about AOL is it has lots of people to talk/chat with.

Again, there are many other DSL ISPs you can try, the DSL I use is provided by Qwest, I usually have 1g always, in the channels anyway. Also... when you log on, it says which server which you have logged on, if it says something else than AT&T, which I haven't seen it different for a while, then you got a good server, because I almost always have 1g with it.

A

AMPowers

Oh ok, i oughta check that.... Can u explain though, y i used to always have 1g in everything? Like i used to have it and now all of the sudden i have bad lag...

C

CmdrTydaeus

The first one's always free....

Many services start you with a particularly good, "new user", connection which goes about as fast as that service allows. After a while, they'll allow your connection to slow down and hook more customers with their good port. Your main options are to:

a)switch ISPs
b)get a faster line (not an option in your case, unless you really want a T-line
c)complain to your ISP (AOL being the least likely to respond)
d)wait for the next ice age, when the service (not just the version number) is upgraded.

One other thing - lag as listed in the pre-game chat room is relative. As the connection speed of other users increases, your apparent connection speed decreases. As more users get decent DSL, cable modems, and T-lines, your AOL keeps on looking worse. Dependability of the line also counts. With a 56k connected at a stable 33.6, I've done better than some DSL and cable set-ups.

A

AMPowers

I talked to my dad about it, he says hes gonna try and send to AOL about how hes an unhappy customer... lol I hope it works

C

CmdrTydaeus

It does work occasionally with the smaller ISPs, but I agree with Ilendil. AOL ranks lowest except for Microsoft when it comes to customer disregard.

A

AMPowers

do you think if he calls then there might be a better chance to fix it?

C

CmdrTydaeus

I'd give it say, an extra .1% chance. AOL isn't known for good customer service.

A

AMPowers

lol, u wont believe this.. My dad emails AOL, and the next day I go on BW i get 1 green... lol

C

CmdrTydaeus

Depends largely on the current number of complaints. The fewer people complaining, the easier it is to swap ports so that the complaining people get the high priority ports and the ones who're just taking the slop get the bad connections. Basically, they just gave your lag to someone else. (either that or they were upgrading anyway, and waited for a complaint so that it would seem they were fixing something as well as upgrading)

Rapmaster

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
the lag you see in the chat rooms only reflects your connection to the server (which has nothing to do with in-game lag.) If the b.net servers are slow that day, you'll see red bars (usually many people will be red)

the bars you see when you join a game and are waiting for players is based on your latency to the other players (or at least to the host)

A

AMPowers

Ok, so if the host has 6r and i have 1g, and i start dling off of him would my lag to others be bad? Oh yeah, Cmdr, thanks for clearing that up.. Do you think my bad lag will come back eventually, and i will have to complain again?

Ilendil

Reaction score
The lag in-game I noticed was...

if EVERYONE in the game has 6r, then THEY have 6r to YOU. So don't say THEY lag, because YOU lag. I can't bear the amount of newbies saying others lag when THEY are the ones lagging...

as for only 1 person lagging, that means he DOES lag.

Ilendil

Reaction score
Also... if you say they lag, and they say YOU lag with 6r, and then says something about everybody else lagging... then you can guess he lags...

(I have said "lag" about 8 times in the last 2 posts)

C

CmdrTydaeus

Lag is based off the host, so if the host is in 6 red, you're lag is prolly going to be in the green, unless ofc your lag is equivalent or not much better than the host's. Bnet attempts to get all players synchronized, so that all have yellow or better. This is why the lag bar changes as time in pre-game passes.

Whether your connection slows down again or not is pretty much at the whim of AOL. However, they'll probably try to leave you on the good line for as long as possible/feasible, because you're one of the few complaining customers (most AOL customers are inexperienced enough, netwise, to not know what they're missing).

A

AMPowers

Sometimes, im on the verge of lagging out, and then i stop lagging... Is this Aol's fault or Starcrafts?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.