Monitor Problem

NoNameRequired

Administrator and Blizzard Tech FAQ Editor
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I upgraded my video card drivers so my video card would support OpenGL and Direct3D correctly. For some reason XP's default drivers were not supporting it. I went on ATI.com and got Alternative drivers which are not considered official. They work much better than XP's drivers, but now my monitor won't shut down correctly. I set up Windows to shut down my monitor after 3 minutes of inactivity. For some reason, it only shuts it down like a screen saver. Let me explain.

There is a light reporting my monitor's status on it. The 3 colors are :

Yellow - On and active.
Orange - Shut down by Windows.
Black - Shut down by a human. (Me)

Everything worked well before, but now it stays yellow when Windows shuts it down and the screen looks black but not "I'm off" black if you follow here.

Anyone has a solution for this ?

Thanks.

PS ; What's going on with TheHelper.net web site ?

D

De Freak

I'm assuming you have a LCD panel screen because thats what happens when you tell windows to make the monitor go to sleep. The black light only shows up when you turn it off manually, but if windows turns it off it will just turn orange. Its normal.

NoNameRequired

Administrator and Blizzard Tech FAQ Editor
Reaction score
What's an LCD panel screen ? I believe my monitor is just a regular one. It was about 200$ or so.

I know the light is supposed to turn orange when windows turn it off and turn black (off) when I turn it off myself. The problem is, the light stays yellow when windows shuts it off and the screen turn black, but not "The monitor is off" black. Their seems to be a faint light still active.

C

cloudberry

I understand what you mean. It's like the monitor is on when it's supposed to be "soft-off". Check the drivers for the monitor (not the vid card), maybe the drivers messed up the monitor drivers too? Or, try switching back to xp-drivers to see if that fixes the problem. Or simply, manually shut down your monitor when you shut down the comp.

S

Swilo

An LCD display is a thin monitor, usually under 5 inches thick. If you do have one of these there's a good chance that light you're seeing is the backlight for the LCD not going off. If you have a CRT (The big monitors that look like TVs) then there is a problem.

S

Swilo

YEs, you can stare at them pretty much forever without strain, that's why they're good for working. They blur fast motion so they aren't ideal for gaming though.
I've found a good flat screen CRT without an antiglare coating can be just as easy to stare at as an LCD though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.