Special effects

Chewbalka

Reaction score
I noticed I couldn’t remove/kill props or environment doodads. So I used special effects, but the problem is I can’t find a way to create one with a Z offset. Any ideas?

Chewbalka

Reaction score
maybe use locust units instead?

The doodads have a glow effect that make areas visable (im using 'call SetDayNightModels("","")' ) i doesent work with units, its pitch black with a unit but with doodad it makes a light glow that makes the area visable.

perkeyone

something clever
Reaction score
well... why dont you make a custom doodad that can be destroyed that looks like the prop?

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You could use a unit with a dummy model - An invisible model with an attachment point.
Then attach the effect to that unit, and make it fly around as you want. :)

Chewbalka

Reaction score
well... why dont you make a custom doodad that can be destroyed that looks like the prop?
if you mean make a tree/destructible with the model file of the thing i want, tryed it and didint work :(

but the sector destructible covers the doodads and props, i think :eek:

nope there not.

You could use a unit with a dummy model - An invisible model with an attachment point.
Then attach the effect to that unit, and make it fly around as you want.

ill try it out

perkeyone

something clever
Reaction score
didnt work?
in what specifically did not work?

no glow effect?
couldnt change height?

Chewbalka

Reaction score
didnt work?
in what specifically did not work?

no glow effect?
couldnt change height?

no glow it was all pitch black.

Then attach the effect to that unit, and make it fly around as you want.

didint work either

perkeyone

something clever
Reaction score
could you screen shot the glow effect i dont even know what it is you are talking about.

do you know which things do make the glow effect?

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
> didint work either
How did it not work?
What happened instead?

I use this method, and it works perfectly.

Chewbalka

Reaction score
the map is entierly pitch black all of it!
these glowing lights act as lightbulbs making areas based on the lights power visable.

id put a screenshot but there just lights, there not actually see-able more then being able to see your surroundings want one anyway?

the thing that isint working is the light, all the things i tryed havent made any light it is still pitch black near them.

bOb666777

Stand against the ugly world domination face!
Reaction score
Why not use a destructible with the same model as your prop?
For the glow, use a triggered visibility modifier circle

perkeyone

something clever
Reaction score
as far as i know
lights dont reveal map terrain
units do.

maybe you need to change your fog setting to terrain partially visible

Chewbalka

Reaction score
the lights dont really "reveal the map" as in vision wise, it just makes it not pitch black, honestly go to a dark room, turn on the light and it has the same effect...

heres a screenshot
lightso.png

See how the light lights up the one side of the tv and not so much the side im on, if i took out the lights (witch you can see hanging by the roof, there the red triangles) the room would be pitch black, you would have no clue whats in the room.

BlackRose

Forum User
Reaction score
I noticed I couldn’t remove/kill props or environment doodads.

Trigger:
  • Animation - Play the hide animation for all doodads of type Fire Gust within (Playable map area)

hide animation hides them. For any doodads I think. I tested it on shrubs.

Does that solve your pre-problem?

Chewbalka

Reaction score
Trigger:
  • Animation - Play the hide animation for all doodads of type Fire Gust within (Playable map area)

hide animation hides them. For any doodads I think. I tested it on shrubs.

Does that solve your pre-problem?

No, the lighting glow effect remains, so really visually nothing changes at all.

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
If you post some triggers or a map others or myself can much easier help you with your problem. The answer to how it is solved has already been given by Romek. I use that method myself with great effect as well.

I don't know how to help you without triggers to show why your light is not showing.

Chewbalka

Reaction score
If you post some triggers or a map others or myself can much easier help you with your problem. The answer to how it is solved has already been given by Romek. I use that method myself with great effect as well.

I don't know how to help you without triggers to show why your light is not showing.

What triggers..?
There are absolutely no triggers because nothing has worked so far.

romeks idea is good but it didn’t work, there was no light coming from the unit that had the attachment.

Anyway i tested creates a special effect and the glow did work through special effect - create.
So i figure if i make a invisible unit i can just do
Special effect - create overhead of unit

The only problem is that when i destroy it, it takes about 3 seconds before the effect actually disappears. So if i want a sound to go along with the effect ill have to find a way to destroy the effect 3 seconds before the sound is played and still hope that the special effect is in the player’s vision to make it have a point.

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
So it's a model that disappear at the moment you destroy it you need.

Here's a model for you. You can easily modify it to your color and light strength preferences with a model editor. Model editors are found in the tools sticky.

Anyway i tested creates a special effect and the glow did work through special effect - create.
This sounds like a trigger doing the creating. If you want to adjust the height, just make the model the effect is attached to fly and you'll get the height you want. If you don't know how to make it fly, you'll just have to add and remove the Crow Form ability, and then set it's fly height.

romeks idea is good but it didn’t work
It works if you use the right models and triggers. Give the unit a model like the dummy.mdx attached to this post. Attach the effect to it's "origin", then make it fly. You should not hide the model through triggers, cause that also hides the effect. Instead give the unit the ability Locust so it loses the ability to be selected, targeted and have a health bar.

Attachments

• OmniOrange.mdx
    872 bytes · Views: 92
  • dummy.mdx
    1.6 KB · Views: 86
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.