World Switzerland: Kiwi living in tent makes mum proud by sparking unpaid UN internship debate

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
The mother of a young New Zealander forced to sleep in a tent in Geneva says she is "proud" he has started a debate about unpaid internships at the United Nations.

After the plight of David Hyde featured on the front page of a Swiss newspaper on Tuesday (Wednesday NZ Time) and on Wednesday (Thursday NZT), the 22-year-old from Christchurch told journalists outside the gates of the UN's European headquarters he had decided to resign.

"It's my own decision and I chose to resign because I felt that it would be too difficult to continue to focus on my work as an intern at this stage," said Hyde, who started his internship two weeks ago, AFP reported.

His Christchurch-based mother, Vicki Hyde, said she had not heard from her son yet and only knew what had been reported in the media.

She noted her son said the UN had been supportive, but he was "just finding it hard to focus on things".

"It would be a fairly stressful situation to be in. I really feel for my son and the awkward position he's in."

She was "astonished" by how far her son's story had spread, but said the issues he had raised about unpaid internships were "really interested" and needed to be discussed.

Last edited by a moderator:

KMilz

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I don't think this information would've even warranted an edit to the original article, let alone an entirely new one.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
I don't get why you would want to be an unpaid intern. I mean I had a paid internship for a little while, but it was terrible.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
I don't get why you would want to be an unpaid intern. I mean I had a paid internship for a little while, but it was terrible.

I don't really get it either, but supposedly in some fields paid internships don't really exist - I had some good (paid) internships though (and some not-so-good ones, but hey, it was paid)

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
They must not get very good interns then. Mine was with the GOP, so I got paid pretty well and learned the valuable lesson that we've been pronouncing government wrong.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.