DUMMIES GUIDE TO WORLD EDITOR
--------------------------
I didnt see a tutorial for it, so i decided to make one ^^

Introduction
------------
There are many features to the world editor, some you might not have used,
or even heard of. Even the most experienced user learns something new now
and then, so this isnt just for beginners, its for everyone ^^. In this guide
i will cover the basics and some more advanced sections.

CONTENTS
------------

#1 variables
#2 Triggers

------------
1 VARIABLES
------------
This is the very basics of the editor, they hold different information, in this
case it can be numbers, text, mixture of both, even units, theres many more, but i didnt want a huge paragraph listing them all, so here's a list of the most common ones instead :p

Boolean - This can either be True or False
Integer - This can be Numbers only, no letters, But it must be a whole number, not 03254.23452371 etc
String - This can be text, numbers, a full sentence, you get the idea.
Real - This is the same as in integer but is more accurate as it allows decimals
Unit - This can hold any unit type, just 1 unit
unitgroup - This can hold a group of units

The ones not listed here are really obvious, like ability, it holds an ability ^^.
To access the variable editor you can press 'Ctrl + B', or look for the button
which has an X on it, NOT THE CLOSE BUTTON!
Click this -->
goodxhg1.png

NOT THIS -->
badxvm7.png

Once opened you should see a table, it should be empty if your on a new map ^^
this table lists all of the variables you have created, it shows the name and
value of the variable, the value is the data that its holding, and it shows the
variable type, this will be one of wat i listed above. To create a new variable,
click the green cross with a small + on it, Type in the name which you want to call it, and select the correct variable type, leave the box named array for now, i will come to that later. Click the inital value field, and enter what you want its initial value to be, this being the value it will be at the start of the game, and will remain this until you change it during the game.

Arrays, these are variables still, but with a difference, they can hold multiple pieces of data, their name will look different, it will show up as, Variable[1] for examples, you can have hundreds of data in just 1 variable.
These are often used in the 'for each integer a from # to #', like this eg.
Code:
For each (Integer A) from 1 to 10, do (Actions)
    Loop - Actions
        Game - Display to (All players) the text: Variable[Integer A]
This will loop it 10 times, each time it will change integer a to the next number, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10, then it ends at 10. so this action will display the data you stored in Variable from [1-10]. This is the end of the variable section now ^^
---------------------------------------------------------------------

If you think this guide is any good ill write the rest of it ^^
If its not ah well :p

zylack

Reaction score
touch it up a bit with screenshots, bolds and color to make it easier to read :D

G

Goauld

If there's a similarity to dota put sentence "just like in dota" after it. ;)
There are so many newbie map makers who started to make maps because "dota is so cool I want to make a cool map like this, too".

dragonhord

Knowledge is true opinion. - Plato
Reaction score
Goauld said:
If there's a similarity to dota put sentence "just like in dota" after it. ;)
There are so many newbie map makers who started to make maps because "dota is so cool I want to make a cool map like this, too".
oh but i must disagree... i started map making for the OPPOSITE reason... you see i started map making because of wc3sear.ch... this inspired me because every spell in the history of dota is on that site... icons... anything you name it its on there... after asking friends who also made maps i realized that everything from dota... icefrog in fact did not make... which is why i greatly dispise icefrog, yet never stop playing dota because its the only thing hosted on bnet... and if its the last thing i do i will beat dota in the aos competition and make my map the new dota... for my map contains MY SPELLS NOT SPELLS FROM OTHER MAPS!!!

Knights

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Make it larger, with more ideas, triggers, functions, problems, errors, screenshots, you know, the typical things! :D
But still nice..:D

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.