[tutorial] Change your Warcraft3 background!

Lloyd.T.W.W

Reaction score
I noticed that you do not have this tutorial, so I will say how to change your main menu background:

Picture given:
screenshot0036eh.th.jpg

This is done in 3 steps:
1: Extract the wanted background
2: Delete the normal background
3: Add the new background

Warning: We are going to modify War3x.mpq, you have risks to damage your WarCraft file, so attend:

PC Requirements : WinMPQ - Warcraft3Viewer
Mac requirements : MPQ2K (It's the WinMPQ for Mac) - For Warcraft3Viewer, I haven't found a Mac version, but you can ask me for the background you want and I'll try to get it.)

It's in the MPQ that all models and textures files of WarCraft are, in 'war3.mpq' for RoC and in "war3x.mpq" for TFT. I suggest you copy the file you will use an paste it somewhere in case if you fail everything and that your MPQ file is damaged.

1: Extract the wanted background

Use Warcraft3Viewer to extract your model, use the log to find your files:
Go to "File > Open MPQ > War3.mpq (orWar3x.mpq)". If you want a TFT background use "war3x.mpq". Here you will find your background files in "UI > Glues > SinglePlayer > (your background)".
Then right ckucj > extract MDX, you can save it on your desktop or another place, I use my desktop.

2: Delete the old background

Run "WinMPQ", it will allow you to modify the background.
Click on the button "Open", then go to your Warcraft 3 file an open "War3x.mpq", a list of files will appear, they are you models and texture files of WarCraft. Watch out not to delete any random file.
Look for the file "UI\Glues\MainMenu\MainMenu3d_exp\MainMenu3d_exp.mdx", right lick of it, and click "Delete" (the file won't we deleted if it's already used by another program, so remember to close Warcraft3Viewer).
For the moment, your background in WarCraft will turn black.

3: Adding the new background

You are always on "WinMPQ", click on the button "Add", then search open the MDX file you saved in Step 1.
Call him "UI\Glues\MainMenu\MainMenu3d_exp\MainMenu3d_exp.mdx". Remember to look if there isn't anything at the end of the file name after applying the name, you can always rename it!
Then, quit "WinMPQ" (or you can leave it open), and start Warcraft, you will have your background!

Other Results: If you background is black, then you misfollowed the Step 3, and if your background remains to be always the Frozen Throne of the Lich King, then you misfollowed step 2.

[!]Credits also go to www.wc3sear.ch
~~~~~~~~
Thanks for reading. Use it and have fun!

Exide

I am amazingly focused right now!
Reaction score
Really neat trick! ^^
I wonder if I will manage to fix it :p

A few questions, if I may:
*Can this be done in RoC too?
*Can I use any picture I like -like a picture of a dog or something? (maybe a stupid question :p)
*Are there any risks of crashing the game severly? (So that I have to re-install or something to fix it)
*In RoC, there are metoers and stuff flying across the sky. Upon "landing" they generate a sound - Will these sounds be heard if I change the background picture? - Are there any ways to remove these?
*Above mentioned Meteors won't fly across my new picture, will they?
*The picture wont move or anything.. Just be a plain picture, right? :p

Thank you.

Lloyd.T.W.W

Reaction score
*I don't think so.You have RoC, don't you?
*I think you can add any picture that fits.
*Only if you are careless :p
*Again, I don't think that it will happen to RoC, still in TFT the sounds are heard.
*No.It's a matter of the picture.
*If it's a moving picture, it will move.However, I'm not sure, I've tried it with the Lich pic above only.

Hope I helped you somehow.

Exide

I am amazingly focused right now!
Reaction score
Ok. Well I might try it out ..If I dare, when I get home. :p
Thank you.

Lloyd.T.W.W

Reaction score
In fact, I am not totally sure to any of the things I told you.

But I will try out all of them, and correct them :)

G

g1real

Would you be able to map something up and place it as background?

IE Some exciting battlefield with the cam between em :D

L

Lordbevan

Cant u just use the import manager to over-write the exact file? So much safer.

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
*Can this be done in RoC too?
Yes, but you probably need a different path. Apart from that the procedure is the same.

*Can I use any picture I like -like a picture of a dog or something? (maybe a stupid question)
Yes and no. You can probably do that by using the same mdx we use for a loading screen (check out my tutorial for more info).

*Are there any risks of crashing the game severly? (So that I have to re-install or something to fix it)
The risk always exists. Its never wise to use something that isn't generally supported by blizzard, but we actually use a lot.

*In RoC, there are metoers and stuff flying across the sky. Upon "landing" they generate a sound - Will these sounds be heard if I change the background picture? - Are there any ways to remove these?
The meteors are a part of the model - yes, its not a picture, its a model. So once you replace it you'll get the new model's sounds (for example you'll probably hear Misha roaring if you use the bonus campaign screen).

*Above mentioned Meteors won't fly across my new picture, will they?
Same answer as above.

*The picture wont move or anything.. Just be a plain picture, right?
It will move since its a model. But if the loading screen method works then it won't.

> Credits also go to www.wc3sear.ch
Does this mean you took this thing from them or what...?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.