Wierdness With Beacons

G

I have only seen this on a couple of maps, but it was a nice effect.

Usually, when you have to choose a hero or cast a spell, there is a beacon that you stand on. Sometimes, when you click the beacon, your unit will wander around like a moron until eventually stumbling onto the wrong beacon.

A few maps I have seen have beacons, but they are actually in the Terrain. You dont click on them. You just move to them like any other piece of land. You cant click on them or anything. The 'beacon' is usually a silver color.

How do I make something like this?

Ilendil

Most Respected Former Admin
Reaction score
Originally posted by Unregistered

Usually, when you have to choose a hero or cast a spell, there is a beacon that you stand on. Sometimes, when you click the beacon, your unit will wander around like a moron until eventually stumbling onto the wrong beacon.

Thsi is not an "effect" this is occuring because the person who put in the beacon made it go over terrain, making sometimes impossible to go on to the beacon... hard to explain but easy to see why this happens.

A few maps I have seen have beacons, but they are actually in the Terrain. You dont click on them. You just move to them like any other piece of land. You cant click on them or anything. The 'beacon' is usually a silver color.

I have seen this myself, but I can't figure out how they do this... it may seem they changed the player color of the beacon to match the terrain, but it doesn't seem so because you can't select it... HELLSS?

H

HELLSS

blek

*in a miss cleo voice*

Come to the hellss, i'll solve your problems child!!!!

What they did is a very cool trick, which can be applied to many other things in a map.

They disabled the doodad state of the beacon through triggers. It's a trick I wasn't sure of until a few months ago myself. Kinda wierd that it works how it does.. but oh well, more fun for editing!

Conditions:
- anything you want

Actions:
- SET DOODAD STATE
'Disable' doodad state for 'unit of choice' for 'player' at 'location'

Just recently at another StarEdit forum I frequent (and moderate) a discussion involving disabling doodad state on units occured, I recommend you go check it out if you wish to look further into this, some units cash Sc when their doodad state is disabled and many of them are listed here.:
http://www.customc.net/cgi-bin/forum/forum.cgi?board=editing&action=display&num=1023193386

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.