1.4.2 Now live !

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
PROTOSS
Forge
The cost of Upgrade Shields Level 1 has been decreased to 150/150, down from 200/200
The cost of Upgrade Shields Level 2 has been decreased to 225/225, down from 300/300
The cost of Upgrade Shields Level 3 has been decreased to 300/300, down from 400/400
The cost of Upgrade Ground Weapons Level 2 has been decreased to 150/150, down from 175/175
The cost of Upgrade Ground Weapons Level 3 has been decreased to 200/200, down from 250/250
The cost of Upgrade Ground Armor Level 2 has been decreased to 150/150, down from 175/175
The cost of Upgrade Ground Armor Level 3 has been decreased to 200/200, down from 250/250

TERRAN
Ghost
EMP radius has been decreased from 2 to 1.5

Nothing huge.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Its pretty huge in my opinion. Its pretty obvious which race got favoured here.

GFreak45

I didnt slap you, i high 5'd your face.
Reaction score
but thats simply balanced, protoss early game hasnt been great and that extra little push might be enough to add to their usefullness, eventhough it is a very small push

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
The only notable difference is in the shield upgrades, which get researched after the 30th minute mark, if at all.

The protoss have the least units, that is why their upgrades are the least effective.

The changes are welcomed but it isn't anything like the zerg patch a long time ago, the infestor buff, the prism buff, or the removal of the amulet, like I said, nothing huge.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
The emp nerf is kind of similar to the recent infestor nerf. Okay, the difference from 2 to 1.5 might not be too big of a deal but its still a factor to keep in mind when playing terran now.
And the cost buff for the upgrades might as well make a difference in the mid-game. Not so much the lower mineral cost but most likely the lower gas cost.
With the shield upgrades alone they save 225 gas. Thats not little in this game. Might make for another collosus.
Might make the shield upgrades more viable as well and thus encourage archon play even more.

Okay, maybe it is not completely true to call it "huge" but its definitely pay out unlike other changes we have seen this far.

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
You make it sound as if the research time of upgrades is in seconds. Even if you use double forge it takes the entire time from the mid to the late game to get 3/0/3. Also I'd like to add that unless your build is upgrade specific, like the terran gasless expand into double engineering bay, (the build continues but I will stop here) you start your first upgrade in the mid game, since by then it is pretty much a waste of gas.

EDIT: The emp nerf is pretty big news. (for the infestor more as the HT though LOL but still)

GFreak45

Reaction score
you forget the 50% boost if you double forge, you can be fully upgraded pretty damn fast

Siretu

Starcraft 2 Editor Moderator
Reaction score
Bloodcount is a master protoss. I don't think he forgot about chrono boost. Even with chrono boost, it takes 6 1/3 in-game minutes to upgrade 3/0/3 with double forge if you chrono boost it the ENTIRE way(which requires 38 chrono boosts) This is without armor upgrades. To get fully upgraded(3/3/3), it almost takes 10 minutes with 2 forges and constant chrono boost.

That is basically from mid to late game as bloodcount said.

GFreak45

Reaction score
oh i thought BC was zerg/terran, and with some expos you could get it done, and research is meant to be finished by late game, but that little extra you no longer have to spend on getting the research can go towards an extra worker or 2 helping with more income for a bigger army :/

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
oh i thought BC was zerg/terran, and with some expos you could get it done, and research is meant to be finished by late game, but that little extra you no longer have to spend on getting the research can go towards an extra worker or 2 helping with more income for a bigger army :/

The time, resources, and energy you spend trying to crank out upgrades that fast would hinder your army and income more than the end result would help you.

Your army will be 1/3 of what it would usually be, even though it's got upgrades, it's the size that matters more at this point.

I mean think about it. 10 Marauders vs 30 Zealots (0/0/0). Then, 10 Marauders vs 10 Zealots (3/3/3).

Given no micro on either part and both encounters have other upgrades for each side (Legs/Stim/Concussive Shells), the Zealots would win the first round, but lose the second round.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
I doubt that 10 3/3/3 zealots lose against 10 marauders without micro.
And even if they do, it would be very close. And after all marauders are more expensive as well!

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
[video=youtube;8yifDTbLGBs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yifDTbLGBs&feature=feedu_more[/video]

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.