Reaction score

Release Date: 23 March 2012
Genre: Action | Drama | Sci-Fi
Cast: Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth
Directors: Gary Ross
Writer: Suzanne Collins, Gary Ross
Studio: Lionsgate

Plot:
A young girl volunteers to take her sister's place in a fight to the death in a dystopian future.

Never read the books but heard they were pretty good. And I wonder how this will compare to Battle Royale.

Last edited by a moderator:

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Well, Thursday comes soon.

I can't understand the big hype about this, so many people in my school are all crazy about it. It just came out of nowhere, ha.

Anyone seeing it? Midnight premiere?

Danny Cross

Bunny
Reaction score
Seth got me the first book , ineant to hopefully read it before i see the movie. I'VE heard extremely great things about the books though so i am looking forward to it

C-Death

I love you
Reaction score
In my opinion, the books are the epitome of "average," but that's just me.

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
My brother got to an advance press screening of this... he said it was easily the best film he's seen all year, and a great one to kick off that time of year when the bigger films start coming out. Also, my friend's just read the first book, and she read it in one straight run (which isn't something she usually does) and apparently it's pretty decent.

For some reason I have only just seen the trailer of it, despite all the hype... looks quite good actually. Apparently they had to cut several scenes to get a 12A certificate instead of a 15 in the UK.

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
12A means that if you're under 12, you need an adult to accompany you to see the film. It only applies when the film's in the cinema, when sold on DVD it's just a 12, so only over 12s can buy it.

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
I don't get why people are comparing this to Twilight so much, aside from the fact that it's apparently going to sell out a lot better. This seems like it's going to have a lot more action than romance.

At least, I'm hoping.

thewrongvine

Reaction score
I suppose it's compared to Twilight because it shares the whole "teen-hype" aspect. But besides that, yeah, it doesn't relate.
Yeah, I don't think it's bad, I was just surprised since it came out of like, nowhere.

Some of my friends are seeing it midnight premiere, though I probably won't go. I hope they have some real action though.

EDIT: And from this article: http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/03/20/hunger-games-common-sense-media/ it seems the violence and action is good, :)

Hero

─║╣ero─
Reaction score
I'm pretty curious if this movie is worth seeing. Usually these movies...suck in my opinion. Someone should let me know how good it is. ;)

C-Death

I love you
Reaction score
Movies are NEVER as good as books IMO, so it'll be interesting.

Danny Cross

Bunny
Reaction score
Movies are NEVER as good as books IMO, so it'll be interesting.

I completely agree with that statement, Seth got me the first one for christmas and im lookng to start it today or tomorrow. I like seeing the movie to see how they portray the charatcters and points of views in the book.

C-Death

I love you
Reaction score
If you've read even the first story from "The Fellowship of the Ring" you'll know exactly what I mean.

thewrongvine

Reaction score
Well, I was going to say, and I was going to use Lord of the Rings as my example, it's all perspective.
It's harder to mess up a book, especially if you've already read it, because everything takes place in your own head. So, in a way, if the movie was better than the book, you're insulting your own imagination. However, I think it's fair to say that adaptations like Lord of the Rings are masterpieces in their own respect, and I love both the films and books separately just as much.
But yeah I agree, in most cases, adaptations don't live up to the books.

Jeez, people in my school are like changing the school computer desktops to Hunger Games screensavers and whatnot ha. Crazy people (although I guess I can't really say anything because I go around school changing them to Batman pictures... O.O) I suppose I shall see this movie and read the books eventually.

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
Gotta remember with books like LOTR and whatnot that there is SO much detail and so many different storylines going on that you couldn't possibly squish it all into a 2-3 hour movie.

Never.

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
In my opinion, the books are the epitome of "average," but that's just me.

I agree. I haven't read the next books in the series (though I have them sitting on top of my desk), but while I enjoyed the book, it wasn't particularly amazing.

If you've read even the first story from "The Fellowship of the Ring" you'll know exactly what I mean.

Interesting that you use LotR as an example. I actually found the LotR books to not be all that interesting. Granted, I've read them once, and it was a while ago, but I've always felt that the movies surpassed the books. Not that the books are bad, but the movies were exceptional, and the hype in Tolkien's storytelling is more about the intricacies of the language.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
My 11 year old daughter wants to see this with her friends this weekend. Looks pretty good I guess. I will wait for it on DVD.

thewrongvine

Reaction score
Like almost half my school is going to see the midnight premiere tonight. They even bought the t-shirts...
I will have to see it eventually, when the craze dies down. And read the books, too.
I would laugh if the movie was a huge letdown, but looking at reviews around, it seems to be doing pretty well.

Found this funny post of pictures by Entertainment Weekly showing like spoof posters of how The Hunger Games would have been if directed by other famous directors: http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20419951_20579776,00.html
I like the Peter Jackson, Battle Royale, Christopher Nolan, and Nancy Meyer ones ha.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.