230KB/s with lan?

Rad

Reaction score
I've never really used my LAN to send files but I was sending a 291MB and its only about 40% done, with 16 minutes remaining.

I'm not using Vista so I can't see how fast its actually going, but it said around 21 minutes when I first started and its held true so far.

291 / 21 = 13.8MB per minute
13.8 / 60 ~ .23MB per second

So thats like 230KB/s for lan, slower that my internet speed... Is this normal? I know if I were transferring it online it would only be about 60kbps because thats my upload rate, but its only being transferred through a router (and a hub).

Would a router and hub make it go this slow, or is a LAN normally this slow?

I figured transferring like this would be faster than putting it on my flash drive.

enouwee

Non ex transverso sed deorsum
Reaction score
I'm having similar issues with a Windows XP SP2 notebook running Kerio Personal Firewall. As long as Kerio is activate, the transfer slows to a crawl (eating up 100% CPU), but as soon as I deactivate the firewall, new connections (not already established ones) run at wire-speed.

Rad

Reaction score
My laptop was also connected wirelessly, I didn't give that a thought. But I don't have a firewall installed on either.

Does the amount of ram have anything to do with transfer speeds? I wouldn't think so but I know the laptop only has 384mb of ram. It's slow as hell for just about anything.

B

Bluewind

RAM shouldn't be a problem. How good is the wireless signal? Is the file an .exe? Try make it .zip.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.