3D Java - what do I need?

The Pigeon

Cool Member
Reaction score
I need some help learning how to do 3D games with java. I've searched high and low on the internets, but I haven't found a 3D java tutorial which tells me all the current software I need and how to use it. Usually they're 10 years old or old enough that the software they list isn't current. What should I do?

Xorifelse

I'd love to elaborate about discussions...........
Reaction score
First link on google, "java 3d engine".
http://www.jpct.net/
Now you should have a Java compiler and you're on your way.

However, Java is an interpreted language meaning it isn't fast in execution compared to most compiled languages. C++ has a larger set of available library's just because it's so damn fast in execution.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
like above, java isn't made for 3d games.. it's just not that fast to keep up with other languages

that being said, take a look at this

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score
Please, don't use Java for 3D games!
Use C or C++.

Java is a terribly slow language. Not suitable for 3D gaming at all.

The Pigeon

Cool Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your comments replies ^_^. My problem is that C++ is a pain in the arse to find any information on and requires buggy software like MS VS studio to run on. I'm trying to make a game, but my uni games course missed a few important things. What I want to know is how to do:

Message boxes (Display variables)
Input Boxes (enter number/characters/press buttons/scroll down a list)
Load/Save files (load and save your game)

I had to use some pretty crude work arounds for input and message boxes, and found nothing on loading/saving files.

Ideally I want to do each of these things in a few lines of code (including classes if necessary). The MSDN website is pretty incomprehensible and intimidating - i.e. pages of code for a message box whereas java can do it in one...

Sintoras

Shaaakaa!
Reaction score
Can't say I know java but saving and loading is pretty much the same in all languages. What you need to know is basic Input and Output concerning files. Just store the necessary information in a file which can look along the lines of this, depending on what you need. XML would be suitable as well, as all you're doing is parsing a file and loading the information.

Save Slot 1 [date&time]

Stats
Quests
Time Played
etc....

You can crypt this to stop people from "hacking" their progress or changing around values.

Lyerae

Reaction score
> C++ is a pain in the arse to find any information on and requires buggy software like MS VS studio to run on.

C is easier, and you don't need VS.
Use Dev-CPP or Code::Blocks (I personally can't get Code::Blocks to work. :/)

ertaboy356b

Old School Gamer
Reaction score
Thanks for your comments replies ^_^. My problem is that C++ is a pain in the arse to find any information on and requires buggy software like MS VS studio to run on. I'm trying to make a game, but my uni games course missed a few important things. What I want to know is how to do:

Message boxes (Display variables)
Input Boxes (enter number/characters/press buttons/scroll down a list)
Load/Save files (load and save your game)

I had to use some pretty crude work arounds for input and message boxes, and found nothing on loading/saving files.

Ideally I want to do each of these things in a few lines of code (including classes if necessary). The MSDN website is pretty incomprehensible and intimidating - i.e. pages of code for a message box whereas java can do it in one...

Use Code::Blocks.. I use it on Vista.. You'll need a little tweaking if you're on vista though..

codemonkey

Code monkey not crazy, just proud.
Reaction score
> C++ is a pain in the arse to find any information on and requires buggy software like MS VS studio to run on.

C is easier, and you don't need VS.
Use Dev-CPP or Code::Blocks (I personally can't get Code::Blocks to work. :/)

Lies C++ is much easier.

Lyerae

Reaction score
C++ is OOP, C is not.
I find non-OOP syntax to be easier to learn.

Lyerae

Reaction score
I know you don't, but learning C++ and not using OOP is a little pointless, I think.

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I know you don't, but learning C++ and not using OOP is a little pointless, I think.

But then it would be pretty much the same as C, so would that make C pointless?

The Pigeon

Cool Member
Reaction score
A couple of questions;

1)
"What you need to know is basic Input and Output concerning files. Just store the necessary information in a file which can look along the lines of this, depending on what you need. XML would be suitable as well, as all you're doing is parsing a file and loading the information."

What site would teach me I/O for files? I've found one for java, but not C++.

2)
"Code::Blocks"

What are blocks? I haven't seen them before (I am using Vista by the way). I know methods, structs, classes and template classes (seen them anyway), but not blocks.

I want to stick to C++ or Java as I've done units and written programs using them. Python I'll probably learn at a later date as apparently one of my local games companies uses it. I think I'll translate my code into C++ from java (which admittedly isn't hard to do), but message and input boxes and files i'm not sure of. I might try using irrlicht for the boxes, though can't remember if it could do them. I think I once learned how to save an array as a paint .bmp image, so I might use that as a base, but how to save the state of an entire program, i'm not sure.

Xorifelse

I'd love to elaborate about discussions...........
Reaction score
My problem is that C++ is a pain in the arse to find any information on and requires buggy software like MS VS studio to run on.

There are a couple of things wrong here:

1. Microsoft Visual Studio is not buggy, as said before you configured it wrong.
2. In this IDE (MSVC), you're programming for Windows, which is Visual C++ with different set of library's than the normal C++.
3. C++ doesn't require any software to run on, you just need a compiler such as the GNU GCC, this is required for any compiled language.
4. C++ has a wide set of available library's which are fully documented, take a look at curl and truecrypt for example. You just have to Google it and not be lazy.

On top of that, there are a lot of available shared library's which can be with a simple click embedded or included into your application.

I don't get it, why do you make statements like that while you clearly don't know what you're talking about?

1)
"What you need to know is basic Input and Output concerning files. Just store the necessary information in a file which can look along the lines of this, depending on what you need. XML would be suitable as well, as all you're doing is parsing a file and loading the information."

What site would teach me I/O for files? I've found one for java, but not C++.
As said before, you just got to know where to find and use Google properly. Let us do a query of.. "C++ XML Library".
And look what we got here:
  • Xerces-C++ XML Parser
  • TinyXml Main Page
From experience, TinyXML is good and fast for simple XML sheets, it supports all basic things.

2)
"Code::Blocks"
What are blocks? I haven't seen them before (I am using Vista by the way). I know methods, structs, classes and template classes (seen them anyway), but not blocks.
Alright, I've had it. Visit this page or ANY OTHER search engine.

First result on the following search engines:
  • Google - Codeblocks is a cross-platform IDE built around wxWidgets, designed to be extensible and configurable. Runs on Windows and Linux.
  • Bing - Codeblocks is a cross-platform IDE built around wxWidgets, designed to be extensible and configurable. Runs on Windows and Linux.
  • Yahoo - Code::Blocks is a free C++ IDE built to meet the most demanding needs of its users. It is designed to be very extensible and fully configurable.

Do I need to continue or do you get the point? The time you spend writing that post you would have saved you a lot of time and effort to just search it on the web in the first place.

Seriously, if I were you I'd just stick with MSVS. It's much less complicated than codeblocks. In there you can create a GUI in an instance while in Code::Blocks you need to import complete sets of library's.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.