Tutorial 3D Modelling Theory

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
attachment.php

Introduction
In this tutorial I will be telling you things about modelling - what they are, what they are made of and so on.

And that's basically it! Shouldn't take too much time.
Hell, it even has a fancy logo!

Thanks to UndeadDragon for some help on the logo.

Contents

• Models - what are they?
  • Models - what is a mesh?
  • Mesh - what does it consist of?
    • Vertices;
    • Edges;
    • Faces;
    • Polys;
  • The last stuff before you get started.

Let's get started!

Models - what are they?
A model is a complex 3d object - when in a computer it is basically a lot of text defining how the model is shaped. It can actually be written by hand, but most people use tools such as 3d studio max and Milkshape. In this tutorial we are not going to talk about the different modelling tools.

So, other than being a pile of text, what can they be used for? Well, what you see in games, everywhere, are 3d models. Player units, rocks, palms, flowers, hell, even the ground you move on is a 3d model!

But 3d models aren't only being used in games - firms use them to illustrate, for example a car company use them to show off their latest wagon before they start production, doctors when they scan your brain, you get the idea. So even though a guy isn't a game modeller, it doesn't mean he can't do anything good in 3d modelling! To be honest, mostly those that make models for companies are the best as those requires the most detail.

And then, last but not least, people that do modelling for fun, like me, and you currently - although modelling might seem boring and dull in the start, it becomes funner and more relaxing over time as you start doing progress. Trust me, it'll become great!

Models - what is a mesh?
A model consists of mesh(es), different objects of a model. For example, we have Arthas, in his model we have Mesh_Head, Mesh_Sword, Mesh_Torso, etc. It makes it easier to keep clean and so on.

Mesh - what does it consist of?
A mesh consists of 4 things - vertex (plural vertices), edge (plural edges), face (plural faces) and poly (plural polys). Each of those are what defines the mesh, gives us the shape that we want. Basically we only edit the vertices' location, but when you get more used to modelling, you might start manipulating the other types.

Now to the explaining of the types:

Vertices
A vertex is a dot. A manipulatable, invisble, extremely useful dot. In the editor you're able to see them, but when they are shown outside your editor, you will be unable to see them. All the other types are basically links between vertices, and vertices is what we most of the time use to shape our mesh.

Edges
An edge is a line between to vertices, thus connected those two vertices. Not much else to say about these, they are very simple yet very useful when you want to work fast and efficient.

Faces
A face is a triangle, made of 3 edges (3x3 vertices). Those are in the low end of the usefulness 'graph', IMO. I personally never use them, and they can cause quite some problems in your geometry. (Check example in Poly chapter)

Polys
Polys, also known as polygons, is harder to explain. If you want a really detailed explanation I suggest you to go to Wikipedia. I'll try:

A poly consists of faces. Any number of faces. Polys can be triangles (1 face), squares (2 faces), hexagons (6 faces), any geometric shape. Although a poly can be anything, what people mostly use is squares, as they look best.

Now, remember that fuckup I talked about in the Faces chapter? If you use nGons (Polys with more than 4 edges), it will somehow fuckup the smoothing of the modelling tool. For example, look at this picture (not mine):

Ngon_warning.jpg

"A Model with a n-gon (left) will be converted to tri-sided polys by ZBrush (middle) - this geometry will cause render-artifacts in Houdini (right)."
Note: both ZBrush and Houdini is modelling tools. ZBrush, Houdini.
Source

The last stuff before you get started.
While you model, you will figure that there are some rather cool tools to easen the progress, here I will list some of the really cool tools of 3D Studio Max: (I use 2009, so if you don't see the tool in the version you're using, excuse me)

• Weld - a vertex tool. I use this all the time, when the vertices you have selected are close enough to eachother (you can determine how close), they will be 'melted' together to one vertex.
  • Turn - an edge tool. This turns the targeted edge, so you can make the model look smoother and better. (You should try this one, it's really, really cool)
  • Attach - a mesh tool. This tool simply attaches another mesh to the current mesh. Simply awesome.
  • Cut - an edge tool. 'Cuts' from one point in one edge to another point in another edge, creating a new edge between the two points. Great tool.
  • Flip Normals - a poly tool. In case your poly has the wrong end up (you can see this when you poly is completely black mostly), you can use this to turn it around. Also really awesome.
  • Extrude - can be used in every type. Last but not least, the best and most used tool of ANY modelling program! I present thou: extrude! When holding Shift and you move your type (mostly used on edge and poly), it will create a copy of the selected types the direction you move it! This is an incredibly useful tool, as it is used extremely much for medium-high poly modelling. I personally use this for all my models, it's fast, it's cool. Awesome, try it.

And finally, some small tips:
  • When holding Ctrl, you can 'add-select', basically adding the selected type to your selection. Same thing when holding Alt, except the other way around.
  • Use the middle mouse button to move the camera around.
  • Use Alt + middle mouse button to rotate the camera.
  • Make kick-ass models!

I hope you learned something from this tutorial, and that you will look into modelling and eventually start it too!
- Vestras​

Attachments

• 3D Modelling Theory.png
    3D Modelling Theory.png
    11.6 KB · Views: 1,823

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You wanted me to post this so you don't forget:
Code:
<Romek> > ubersplats in Warcraft - those are not images created, they are 3d models!
<Romek> They are? o_O
<Romek> News to me.
<Vestras> yeap
<Vestras> indeed they are
<Romek> They're basically the same as images.
<Vestras> yes
<Vestras> simply flat 3d models
<Vestras> no Z
<Vestras> but, 3d models they are
<Knight7770> wouldn't that make them 2d models?
<Romek> I was about to say that
<Vestras> depends on how you think of it
<Knight7770> No it doesn't
<Romek> 2D 'model' = Image
<Vestras> =(
<Vestras> cba to change that
<Vestras> <.<
<Knight7770> A 3D model without the Z is a 2D model
<Knight7770> fail

Also, the banner has giant spaces above and below it. Fix please. :p

> 1D line
Just 'line' would suffice.

I'll read it thoroughly soon.

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
Fixed everything except this:

> Also, the banner has giant spaces above and below it. Fix please. :p
Ehh, when I edit my image in photoshop, it resizes the text too, which makes it look awkward. Sorry, I'm no photoshop expert =(

Dirac

Reaction score
Awesome, i also use 3d Studio max, but why is this related to the warcraft 3 world editor?

Knight7770

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped aliophobia
Reaction score
nGons (Polys with more than 4 edges)
Are you implying that polygons with more than 4 edges don't have names? You've got the pentagon, hexagon, heptagon, octagon, even a megagon (1 million sides).

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
Knight7770 said:
Are you implying that polygons with more than 4 edges don't have names? You've got the pentagon, hexagon, heptagon, octagon, even a megagon (1 million sides).

No, I am implying that I'm too lazy to write them all when I can write this.

BRUTAL said:
i dont plan to model or anything, but i read through it all; i think you forgot a word here

Hehe, thanks, the word was 'scan' :D

Andrewgosu

The Silent Pandaren Helper
Reaction score
You should blend this with your other tutorial.

This one is too short to be approved as stand-alone.

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
You should blend this with your other tutorial.

This one is too short to be approved as stand-alone.

My idea was to make a series, like Romek's Jass tutorials, so I could you just refer to this as a first step. This really haven't got much to do with the other one either, SFX and mesh models aren't made of the same thing.

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
attachment.php

Photoshop: Select area to keep and click Image > Crop.

Attachments

• 3D-Modelling-Theory.png
    3D-Modelling-Theory.png
    11.6 KB · Views: 1,726

_whelp

Reaction score
Seems quite useful; do those models that are used in Zbrush or Houdini get affected in the game?

Renendaru

(Evol)ution is nothing without love.
Reaction score
I found a tiny grammar error, but it's not of importance.

Note: both ZBrush and Houdini is modelling tools.

Nice tutorial, hope to see more.

GoGo-Boy

You can change this now in User CP
Reaction score
In my opinion you could add a bit more, don't ask me what since I've no clue but even though this helped me and it shall be just the basics... it's a bit plain. Aren't there further basics? :D

And pictures are important in a model tutorial. The one you showed there wasn't really clear (or not for me at least).

Andrewgosu

The Silent Pandaren Helper
Reaction score
It's currently still too short to be approved as a stand-alone tutorial, like I said earlier.

Continue writing your series and add more details here, and I'll gladly revive this resource from the graveyard.

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
It's currently still too short to be approved as a stand-alone tutorial, like I said earlier.

Continue writing your series and add more details here, and I'll gladly revive this resource from the graveyard.

What more do you want? It's the basics. But I'll see what I can do.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.