$500 Challenge

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
well anyways, to close this thread lets just post a recent build for 400 and then leave the monitor/OS out of it

ram - 8gb for $55 after code NEWCUSTOMER10 (make new account, subscribe to newsletter, then use)

graphics - 5750 for $100, go here first for $10 off coupon

PSU EMCKEJC32 $40 AR

case - $23

mobo + CPU combo
- $130 AR for a Phenom II X4 965 (3.4) and a compatible motherboard

Hard Drive - $40 500gb WD blue

total is 100 + 55 + 40 + 23 + 130 + 40 = 388

emjlr3

Change can be a good thing
Reaction score
could save some money on the gpu - here is a GT 240 for $50 shipped (final price), and I am pretty sure I have seen them even cheaper (I remember seeing the 1GB for like $45 shipped at one time)

the CPU is way overkill IMO, could shave off another $40 or so there easy, and then have enough left over to splurge on a monitor.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
gpu - here is a GT 240 for $50 shipped

dosen't "shipped" mean before any rebates?

anyways, yes, I suppose you could go even cheaper (and slower/less performance).. but I thought I would get as much value (performance/price) as I could for ~400

also, what CPU/motherboard would you recommend instead?

emjlr3

Reaction score

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
IMO for his needs he does not need anything near the top end Phenom II X4. A mid grade Athlon II X3 will do the job fine (with the possibility of getting an unlocked Phenom II X4 anyway), at half the price. SC2 does not use four cores, it barely uses 3, and 3ghz/core is plenty.

at $130 for the motherboard AND the CPU I think it was a good deal, even if it was overkill - im asking what components (where/price), since the motherboard + a mid-grade athlon would still cost you about $120

emjlr3

Reaction score
i'd have to research it - if you can get the MOBO+CPU for $130 that is pretty good - I am sure my MOBO+CPU were more then that even with a combo, again though that was a year ago, just goes to show you how things have changed.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.