Ability shell

substance

Reaction score
Is there a certain ability that works well as a blank ability to build upon? Say you wanted to make a ability and most of your abilitie's actions were to be mapped out in the GUI, which ability would you make it based from?

I know most of the abilites seperate themselves on how they activate (by just hitting the button, or activating then picking a target etc.) so are there certain abilities you guys use as templates for your corrolating idea?

I ask because I was making a ability and I used 'roar' as the basis and I noticed that there was a slight delay from when I casted untill the first action in my trigger went off. Not to mention I couldnt get rid of that roar icon.

Anyway I dont wanna go through all the spells to find one that works best?

Tonks

Reaction score
I suggest you base your ability off of stomp with no graphics and no effects except what you want. And that delay is the "Casting time"

substance

Reaction score
I suggest you base your ability off of stomp with no graphics and no effects except what you want. And that delay is the "Casting time"

Stomp, I'll give that a try. Heh, and yeh I know about casting time ;]

What about other types of spells like target spells or target ground?

(btw i didnt play regular wc3 so i dont know most of the spells 8[)

Tonks

Reaction score
Well, what kind of spell do you want? On/off (Like Immolation), Target Unit (Like Heal), Target Ground (Like Flamestrike), No Target (Like Stomp) etc?

substance

Reaction score
Well, what kind of spell do you want? On/off (Like Immolation), Target Unit (Like Heal), Target Ground (Like Flamestrike), No Target (Like Stomp) etc?

Well your question just gave me some good examples ;]

Is there a 'no stomp' ability that doesnt 'stop' the unit to cast? Say you send your unit to walk somewhere and you activate this ability and he does it and keeps walking. War Stomp and Roar both stop the unit.

**edit** WindWalk works without stopping the unit... but it also makes him invis. Im sure I could fix this with a trigger but it also makes the crit text even if you have crits off***

rayquaza218

Reaction score
Err why stomp? Stomp is a unit ability, to make it simpler use thuderclap =p

BTW if you want a no stop spell, the first thing that comes to my mind is a fan of knives, from the warden no stopping for that

substance

Reaction score
Err why stomp? Stomp is a unit ability, to make it simpler use thuderclap =p

BTW if you want a no stop spell, the first thing that comes to my mind is a fan of knives, from the warden no stopping for that

K I'll check out fan if knives. And why is it more simple to use thunderclap instead of stomp? if i remember correctly they both did the same thing?

S

Super_Duck

>>> Is there a certain ability that works well as a blank ability to build upon? Say you wanted to make a ability and most of your abilitie's actions were to be mapped out in the GUI, which ability would you make it based from?

There is. And it's called channel.

Darius34

Reaction score
Amazing. Only one guy suggested Channel? Lol.

**edit** WindWalk works without stopping the unit... but it also makes him invis. Im sure I could fix this with a trigger but it also makes the crit text even if you have crits off***
Set duration to 0.01, and it'll work perfectly. You can use any channeling spell for that matter with the duration set to the same value.

K I'll check out fan if knives. And why is it more simple to use thunderclap instead of stomp? if i remember correctly they both did the same thing?
Fan of Knives is a good one, though it does have casting animation. War Stomp has a microstun which interupts channeling spells no matter how small, while Thunderclap doesn't. War Stomp is a hero ability btw.

There is. And it's called channel.
Channel is the best one for this. You have multiple Channels on a single unit, you can change the target type to point, unit, instant, etc. You can make it channeling, you can edit almost anything about it. Search for the Channel tutorial, you won't regret it.

Note that some abilities might work better as a base for some, since their effects are similar. So, find out which is best for your ability, and use that one.

Misc: Good ones for unit target (if you don't want Channel): Acid Bomb, Chain Lightning, Healing Wave
Point: Carrion Swarm, Blizzard
Instant: Berserk, Wind Walk, Fan of Knives
Activation: Defend, Immolation
Autocast: Slow, Curse
Attack Autocast: The best one is Frost Arrow.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.