Access unit properties

JapeyJapes

Reaction score
Am I being dense, or is there no clear way to access a unit's properties in JASS?

I assumed a unit could be treated as a class or structure, and you could just use Unit.property to access anything about it (movement speed, animation backswing, etc)

What I want to do is make an ability that gives the target unit the sight radius of the caster. Why can't I just say:

Target.sight = Caster.sight
(assuming I have set the "Target" and "Caster" variables accordingly)
?

I'm sure there are ways to get the effect i want using items/dummy units etc but I'm sure there must be a neater way similar to what I've described, using JASS?

Any help would be appreciated.

Rainther

I guess I should write something of value here...
Reaction score
By looking at is quickly I see for example GetUnitAquireRange(), but nothing about sight. Haven't looked all too deeply, but I'm not sure if that data can be taken that easily.

Naga'sShadow

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
There's a list of functions in blizzard.j but I don't believe there is anyway to check or alter the properties of a unit in game. War 3 simply isn't that dynamic. If you really need this info you should place it in a table, probably a parallel array with all the units stats. Most important properties can then be modified with abilities.

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
Unit Properties system is used to modify all properties you can modify with Jass and some custom triggered properties too.

Note that this is an old version and does not have stuff like vertex color and stuff like that.

Cassiel will probably upload new version to tidesofblood.com when they got Jass tags working there.

Sight range can be dynamicly edited with some triggering. You need to set every units initial sight range to 0 and use sight range bonus abilities to set range to whatever you want. Note that if you do this, you gotta trigger night/day sight range changes too. ( There is some bug with negative sight range abilities, which makes this li´l more difficult than other properties )

As far as I know, animation cast backswing cant be controlled, but time scale is no problem.

JapeyJapes

Reaction score
Unit properties looks awesome! Doesnt have sight range but has loads of other stuff that im going to need as well.

Thanks a lot, will definately give it a try.

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
Its probably the coolest vJass system around here currently.

It shouldnt be hard to add sight range there, if you can do some coding. And even if it takes some work, its worth of it, when you can just type:
JASS:
set target:SightRange = caster:SightRange

Anyways, keep eye on that thread and tidesofblood.com , Cassiel might soon release new version when hes less bussy with ToB v.O

edit. Actually if you have time, could you test if adding and removing negative sight range ability still buggs? Base it on ItemSightRangeBonus ability. I woudl like to know.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.