Across the Universe

1JadedJen

Send Lawyers, Guns and Money
Reaction score
I made my husband take me to see this movie because I like the Beatles, and I heard this movie was pretty good. It wasn't his kind of movie, and he said it was good, but not great. I liked it more, but I agree it wasn't super great. It was pretty cool to sit through 2 and a half hours worth of Beatles music, but the story line didn't present any new angles or insight into the 60s. It seemed to be more of a caricature of the 60s, giving you what you would expect with psychedelics, drugs, a Janis Joplin character, a Jimi Hendrix character, war protests and 2 young kids in love caught in the middle.

It was also pretty left wing, which I understand it's a hippie movie, peace love dope, I get it, but it was strongly anti government in any way and police men, government workers and military were portrayed as the enemy. In the military scenes, guys drafted into the war were shown as victims and recruiters had block heads and were shown as meat grinders. I wasn't too startled by this (after all, it is a hippie movie) but the scene with the draftees trudging through a model of Vietnam countryside carrying an obviously heavy statue of liberty on their backs was a bit much for me.

All in all, I don't feel I wasted my money or 2 and a half hours, parts of the movie were touching and after the show I did pull out my Beatles cds with renewed vigor for their songs. I might even buy the dvd when it comes out, but I wouldn't compare it to Pink Floyd's The Wall and I won't be wearing out the dvd till I have to buy a replacement.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.