Actors and Units

Joker(Div)

Always Here..
Reaction score
Can someone explain what actors are? I'm having a really tough time creating a custom unit. :banghead:

Zwiebelchen

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Man, thank you Steel for writing tutorials on the Data editor. I am pretty sure it will help out a lot of people ... I'm definitely going to read them as soon as I can finally start editing in SC2 on Tuesday ... :D

Your explanation of what are actors and units seems plausible. Wow, the data editor is really mighty if it really works like that.

I always felt like galaxy is a step back from JASS, but the new data editor really makes up for that.

Steel

Software Engineer
Reaction score
Man, thank you Steel for writing tutorials on the Data editor. I am pretty sure it will help out a lot of people ... I'm definitely going to read them as soon as I can finally start editing in SC2 on Tuesday ... :D

Your explanation of what are actors and units seems plausible. Wow, the data editor is really mighty if it really works like that.

I always felt like galaxy is a step back from JASS, but the new data editor really makes up for that.

The only major problem I'm seeing is... you can't manipulate behaviors through triggers. Not quite sure how to do this.

You need to realize that the game is very modular with every intention of expansion. The Wings of Liberty? That isn't a game, it's a mod. They have the base game where everything starts. The complexities of the Data Editor are so heavily ingrained that you are almost doing more work than you did before in the World Editor to complete simple actions. Making the Uberlisk from their tech demo, there is no way a novice will be able to sit down and create that in just a few hours. I could probably pull it off now since I have a greater understanding of how everything works, but holy shit, this thing is overwhelming.

I'm doing my best to start with the basics and work my way up to more complicated tutorials. I've got containers figured out. I know how "Banks" work. I know how to make custom abilities, units, etc...I know how to make custom weapons. There is just too much here. The behavior manipulation is the most worrying. I have an attribute on a unit, I have given another unit veterancy for experience. I can't create a trigger to modify either of those, I can't add 50 experience to the unit. I can't increase a unit's attribute points by 1 if I want. There is no function in the trigger editor that handles this and there is no example on how to do this either.

I can equate using the StarCraft II Editor to playing an FPS by braille: It's really confusing and I'm always afraid of what I'll find.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.