Advancing in WE?

sentrywiz

Reaction score
First of all, question #1 - I just read a couple of JASS-to do, and some introductions, although I get it somehow, some people use JASS, others use vJASS, third party uses pJASS... then theres JASSnewgen and JASSHelper... confusion is a desperate word, there are millions of JASS-es and just few tutorials, whats the catch?

Question #2, I read GUI and JASS have limitations, yet JASS seems nothing more than GUI. Wrong?

Question #3, can you really create somethings with JASS (any kind) that you cannot do with GUI? And the leaks, lagginess and akward bugs and errors cannot be cleaned with GUI? To create a bug free, error smack good looking clean and fast multiplayer map, you just have to use any kind of JASS?

Thanks for all the replies I will get or already gotten.

Dest

Reaction score
First of all, question #1 - I just read a couple of JASS-to do, and some introductions, although I get it somehow, some people use JASS, others use vJASS, third party uses pJASS... then theres JASSnewgen and JASSHelper... confusion is a desperate word, there are millions of JASS-es and just few tutorials, whats the catch?

Question #2, I read GUI and JASS have limitations, yet JASS seems nothing more than GUI. Wrong?

Question #3, can you really create somethings with JASS (any kind) that you cannot do with GUI? And the leaks, lagginess and akward bugs and errors cannot be cleaned with GUI? To create a bug free, error smack good looking clean and fast multiplayer map, you just have to use any kind of JASS?

Thanks for all the replies I will get or already gotten.

1. Jass, vJass and pJass are different codes to triggering. Jass Newgen and Jass Helper are programs installed in World editor to help with JASS. There are smart tutorials of learning JASS, that is why there aren't millions of them.

2. That is almost true, but you can still do almost anything in GUI. Jass is like GUI, only you just type it.

3. Yes. However, you can stop leaks, lagginess and awkward bugs in GUI if they are done in GUI. If in JASS, you'd have to do them in JASS. For the map, that's not true. You don't need JASS to do a good map.

Sorry for my english, my grammar sucks. You can catch leaks in GUI, you just use custom scripts.

sentrywiz

Reaction score
Great!

Thanks I see. Good answers.

The need for advance is there, now I need to choose: GUI or JASS.

Dest

Reaction score
Thanks I see. Good answers.

The need for advance is there, now I need to choose: GUI or JASS.

In order to learn JASS, you have to be smart on GUI. If you are, then you'll have no problem of creating them in JASS. Just look some JASS tutorials in here.

Komaqtion

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Not true... You can learn JASS without knowing GUI, though I'd recommend using both in the beginning...

Like do some simple GUI trigger, then convert it to Custom Script, and finely tune the JASS there, like removing the BJ's :D

But of course, reading the many tutorials here on the forum is a must :D

ArmyOfFrogs

Reaction score
To further elaborate on cake's answer to #2.. JASS seems like GUI , however there are tons of differences. A few of the tutorials go much more in depth ( such as the ones that are GUI -> JASS), but I'll touch on some of the points; Much more efficient and quicker once you've practiced a bit. It becomes natural fairly quickly, and you are able to type something up at 70 wpm (just a guess.. most gamers are atleast decent) rather than clicking at probably 40. JASS has more functions which GUI does not have enabled. JASS can create MUI spells much easier, as well as better timer uses.

Dest

Reaction score
Not true... You can learn JASS without knowing GUI, though I'd recommend using both in the beginning...

Like do some simple GUI trigger, then convert it to Custom Script, and finely tune the JASS there, like removing the BJ's :D

But of course, reading the many tutorials here on the forum is a must :D

That's true, but it's hard to learn JASS if you haven't gotten the hang of GUI.

Komaqtion

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Well, maybe... But if you know almost any programming language, JASS is probably almost easier to understand than GUI :D

And, as ArmyOfFrogs said, JASS is alot better... More efficient, and more versatile in every way :D

trb92

Throwing science at the wall to see what sticks
Reaction score
Post #2
1. Jass, vJass and pJass are different codes to triggering. Jass Newgen and Jass Helper are programs installed in World editor to help with JASS. There are smart tutorials of learning JASS, that is why there aren't millions of them.

The bolded portion is not correct. JASS is normal WC3 coding. vJASS is an extension on JASS, which is changed to regular JASS by JassHelper. pJASS is simply a syntax checking program for JASS.

jwallstone

Reaction score
GUI is significantly slower than JASS due to a number of reasons. Just try it out. Make a nice long complicated trigger in GUI, removing leaks and all, and convert it to custom text. I guarantee it will be a mess. The same thing in Jass will be much cleaner, more organized, and faster.

For one, you can actually do code reuse. For example, if you have a piece of code that you use frequently, you can write a simple function to make it faster and more organized, (and much easier to maintain) whereas in GUI you're often stuck making the same piece of code over and over again, and if you ever want to change it, it's a nightmare. A second point is that GUI uses all the blizzard BJ functions, which cause extra useless function calls and slow down the game. Finally, there are actually natives that are available in JASS but not GUI. Granted, the most important ones are in both.

Overall, if you're making a nice simple map, or just starting out, learn GUI. But any sort of larger or more complicated map will be significantly easier to create, modify, and maintain in JASS.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.