RPG Against All Odds

Sneakster

Reaction score
Against All Odds: A Role-Playing Game
aaobanner.jpg
UPDATE (9/12/09): Hero selection system testing!!
I have lost all copies of the map...I am very very sorry.

Custom Experience System Released to ClanMapz.com and thehelper.net!!!!
Check it! http://www.thehelper.net/forums/showthread.php?t=127387

Models??
I am currently looking for some nice medieval models. If you have any links to some cool models, please post them!! (note - wc3 models, not women......................)

More Screenshots (as of 5/18/09, outdated!)
screen1lty.jpg

screen2dfa.jpg

screen3h.jpg

Story (so far):
The game begins in the kingdom of Armstag, when all chaos has errupted when the Undead summoner, Ferahk, sold his soul to Cir, the demigod of intellect, in order to control the minds of all in the Undead Lands. Now, using his un-resting minions, he foreshadows the doom of the entire world. It is up to the shattered human race to stop him. That doesn't mean that other races won't fight too...

What is it?
-Against All Odds is a Role-Playing Game (if you couldn't tell from the title). It will involve questing, killing, and gaining equipment, but, a storyline with REQUIRED quests will force players to work as a team in order to accomplish a common goal. (Will be changed if RPG seems better single-player)

What makes AAO (Against All Odds) so unique?
-Many Role-Playing Games have been created, but they all involve wandering around and looking for things to do. In Against All Odds, events will find YOU! Of course, you can always just wander aimlessly swinging a sword at everything you see, but the game will surely keep you involved! Also, in order to create a character of a race besides human, you must gain enough good reputation within a society to have their magic-user transform you into one of their own.

What Systems will AAO include?(Update 5/18/09)
-AAO will include many systems by awesome coders here on thehelper, and also a few of my very own.
Current implemented systems:
Save/Load - AceHart http://www.thehelper.net/forums/showthread.php?t=49392
Equipment System (with heavy modification by myself) - linamus http://www.thehelper.net/forums/showthread.php?t=88230
Creep Respawn System - Tinki3 http://www.thehelper.net/forums/showthread.php?t=55581
Hero Selection System - Sneakster (Myself)
Exp. System - Sneakster(Myself, check top of thread for link to system!)

Systems in near future: (Update 5/18/09)
New Equipment System - Help me find one!!
Custom Spell System - By Myself
Custom Instance System - Myself
Custom NPC talk system - Myself

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Why is the terrain horrible?
-Please note that I do not really terrain that much, nor have I looked at very many tutorials. I am planning to read very many tutorials in order to really bring the mood that I want to the RPG. If you have any suggestions about terrain or links to tutorials, please post them!
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This RPG is in its very early stages. Some of you may be asking, "if there is a save/load system, why isn't it an orpg"? Well, I am actually still debating on whether or not to make it an Open Role-Playing game. It may become a single-player RPG. The game is in too early of a stage to really tell.

As stated above, this ORPG is still in its very early stages, so expect much more information in the near future. Thank you to all here at thehelper! NOTE- This map will be a type of read-only (not edit unless you take the time to un-protect it) map, because I feel everyone should learn from each other in order to create really great games in the future!

-Sneakster

Attachments

• Against All Odds Hero Selection System Testing.w3x
    463 KB · Views: 281

WastedSavior

A day without sunshine is like, well, night.
Reaction score
I like the idea

Very well organized, i hope you can keep up with it, rpg's tend to be very demanding.

I must admit though, i am a little concerned about the terrain.
Im sure, since it is just in the beginning stages that it is not as good looking as it should be, but this epic idea deserves epic terrain and im not seeing that.. heh..

:thup:

Sneakster

Reaction score
Oh yeah...forgot to note...I need suggestions for terraining! I'm adding it to the post right now!

mr_fj

Reaction score
Looks like a good start, but remember to add doodads and stuff even in the places the players wont be seeing, because we can still see it through the fog of war :)

Also, try using the other lower/raise tools to make it look more naturally :)

Reaction score
> because we can still see it through the fog of war
Or iseedeadpeople. :p

Looks interesting for now, I hope you can manage and finish this since RPG type maps take a lot of time and need a lot of polishing. Good luck!

Sneakster

Reaction score
Looks like a good start, but remember to add doodads and stuff even in the places the players wont be seeing, because we can still see it through the fog of war :)

Yeah this is still in its very early stages. I'm gonna improve terrain.

mr_fj

Reaction score
Yeah this is still in its very early stages. I'm gonna improve terrain.

I know, but you said: "If you have any suggestions about terrain or links to tutorials, please post them!" So i posted a suggestion :)

Sneakster

Reaction score
I know. I will consider the suggestions while mapping. I never said that I wasn't going to consider the suggestions. I don't really understand why you quoted me without reason...

SerraAvenger

Cuz I can
Reaction score
Oh yeah...forgot to note...I need suggestions for terraining! I'm adding it to the post right now!

Try to size doodads so they fit with the units.
eg, your Campfire and a couple of the crates are a little... huge : D

Sometimes, less is more.

And try to look at your terrain from many angles, that way you can mark bad terrain height spots.

Also make avid use of the flatten tool in the terrain editor!

The game itself looks really good for now : )

Hope you'll finish this project^^

Best wishes, Davey

Sneakster

Reaction score
Try to size doodads so they fit with the units.
eg, your Campfire and a couple of the crates are a little... huge : D

Sometimes, less is more.

And try to look at your terrain from many angles, that way you can mark bad terrain height spots.

Also make avid use of the flatten tool in the terrain editor!

The game itself looks really good for now : )

Hope you'll finish this project^^

Best wishes, Davey

Well I actually made the fire and crates huge for a reason. When I update the chat system in-game the Captain will explain why. What do you mean by "bad terrain height spots"? Thanks for the tips! I'll probably be releasing the alpha version sometime in the near future.

WastedSavior

A day without sunshine is like, well, night.
Reaction score
Terrain is looking good
I don't really know what else to comment on =]

Sneakster

Reaction score
Terrain is looking good
I don't really know what else to comment on =]

Thanks! Too bad I discontinued that map and started a new map with new terrain because my imported models somehow got screwed up. I just hope that more people will comment on this thread so I can get some more feedback.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.