AI and Workers

Conal

Reaction score
Making a tag type of map and have given the runners the worker classification to prevent auto attacking.

However, when somebody trains a unit and that unit attacks an enemy, all the enemies flock to that unit, ignoring the runners entirely.

I added the peon-type classification to the trained unit which fixed most of my problems but I can't seem to wrap my head around why the trained units are so attractive to the enemies.

Conal

Reaction score
Well I fixed one part but now when the trained units attack the enemies, enemies (every single one on the map) that have a different target in their sight will drop their current order to kill the threat. Any ideas?

Bump.

Some more details...I'd like to preserve the large acquisition range the enemies have because that's what allows them to funnel/maze properly.

Conal

Reaction score
The runners are the highest priority. But the enemies still attack vigorously when a trained unit attacks.

NuQ

Reaction score
I think the worker classification causes the ai to treat them as little to no threat, regardless of the unit priority. For instance, in some meelee games a single worker can walk right through an enemy attack force, sometimes obstructing their path, and yet be totally ignored. Try this: Change the runner's classification to suicidal (which i believe only enables auto-attacking if the unit has a kaboom/possession/sacrifice ability, if not it does not aquire targets automatically.) But, This should make the ai kill the runners on sight.

Conal

Reaction score
I gave the runners both the worker and suicidal class in the object editor but that didn't seem to work. Adding suicidal alone makes the runner auto attack and the trained units are ignored completely. Still a very good suggestion +rep.

Edit: I tried some other classifications added via trigger such as "A Melee Attacker" which sounded promising but still no luck. I'll keep trying to see if some combination miraculously works.

Edit 2: I'm slowly convincing myself that the trained units are fine how they are. They make good decoys when I lower their HP but still have firepower if produced in bulk. Maybe I'll just give up on it.

Weep

Godspeed to the sound of the pounding
Reaction score
Maybe try this approach:

Originally posted by The Warcraft III Ability Guide
To create a unit that ignores all enemies except when it is being attacked you can use 'Apiv' (Permanent Invisibility) with the duration set to -1 and auto acquire attack targets to false. Now the unit won't be invisible but still not auto acquire targets.

Conal

Reaction score
With that spell on the runners, they still auto attack. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong...If it worked, that would be perfect because then I could add the peon class to the trained units so they're treated on a lower level and still have them auto attack. I could then add a trigger to force the attacked kodo to attack the trained unit.

I'll try a couple more things. Thanks a lot for the idea +rep.

Edit: Is there a classification that's treated on an even lower level than a worker? I need something to stop auto attacking runners while making the trained units less attractive even while attacking. I've already tried the combination of perm invis and suicidal but the runner gets angry if one of their nearby units gets attacked (they have low acquisition too).

Edit 2: I tried to make the enemies treat the trained unit as a building since they can attack and get away with it. Not having much luck either as I've tried changing its 'Targeted As' and gave it 'a Structure' classification.

Weep

Godspeed to the sound of the pounding
Reaction score
This might be a stupid question, but why do you want the runners to be able to attack, but not auto-acquire? Why not make them unable to attack?

Conal

Reaction score
The runners are able to buy hp and eventually have the option to fight physically. I'm willing to sacrifice trained units entirely for that aspect.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.