Alpha Skinning Help

N2o)

Retired.
Reaction score
In responce to reading Orc_Tamer's Alpha Skinning for PhotoShop, How do i alpha skin exactly?
Select all you layers and make them visible (click the box with the eye). You should have your image all red, don't worry about that just ignore that. Select your Alpha Layer and start to edit your skin.
It doesn't explain how to alpha skin at all, just to "edit" it, I've tried 2 Things, Adding to the alpha selection and brushing out the things i wanted to remove. Neither Worked, so can somebody explain properly how to alpha skin and i will +rep.
Thanks in advance.

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
when you open the skin in psp and choose the layers tab there should be one called alpha. all you need to is select it and then use black color to alpha skin something.

N2o)

Retired.
Reaction score
I must sound so so stupid ...
anyway, that doesn't help I'm using PhotoShop CS2. I selected Alpha 1 Channel and using the brush tool i brushed out his weapon and part of his leg (the only reason he is pink is because i want to know i have the right path):

I saved it to a 32bit tag converted to blp and imported into my wcIII this is how it looked ingame:
(the path is: "Units/Orc/Grunt/Grunt.blp")

so where am i going wrong?

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
I encounter the same problem with Photoshop 7. I reached the conclusion that the program simply doesn't saves the alpha channel, but I'm not sure and I don't know why. Also, I did not found a way to solve it. I would also +rep if someone helps us to solve this.

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
what software are you using to convert TGA -> BLP? i recommend Warcraft 3 Viewer since Image Extractor may skip saving the alpha sometimes.

Andrewgosu

The Silent Pandaren Helper
Reaction score
All PS what are capable of saving alpha layers, save them. Maybe you forgot to save the selection?

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
The thing is that, when i save the file as a TGA, it doesn't allows me to check the box that says 'Save selection' :nuts: It's disabled.

Andrewgosu

The Silent Pandaren Helper
Reaction score
Hmmm, locked? Maybe its in the PS options prefrences?

I have PS 7-8 including cs 2. All these allow me to save alpha layers.

alpha.jpg

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
I did not found any option that could block that in the Preferences.

wtf.jpg

Wtf?....It's driving me crazy... :banghead:

Daelin

Kelani Mage
Reaction score
Photoshop 7.0 has a problem with saving alpha skins in TGAs. You will need to download patch 7.0.1 or later.

Here is upgrade to 7.0.8. :)

~Daelin

N2o)

Retired.
Reaction score
Hmmm, i'm so confused, i applied a new skin to the grunt, with everything alpha'd except his where his colours should be, No do's. I applied the same skin to a peon, it works??

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.