Exide

I am amazingly focused right now!
Reaction score

Genkora

Frog blast the vent core!
Reaction score
1. Name a country that starts with a U.
I thought of the U.S.A. and the U.K.

2. What countries are in the Coalition of the willing?
Never Heard of it, maybe I know what it is and they call it something else here than they do in the U.K.

3. What's the religion of Israel?
Judaism

4. What religion are buddhist monks?
Buddhist, but it's arguable whether or not it's a religion at all as there is no deity.

5. Who won the Vietnam War?
Well, we pulled out, so we didn't win. I guess you could say the Vietcong won.

6. Who is Fidel Castro?
Dictator of Cuba. Old dude.

7. What is the currency used in the UK?
I know that the UK was still using the pound while many countries used the euro, I am not sure if they switched yet, but I want to say they still use the pound.

8. Sri Lanka on the map?
I thought I knew but it turns out I don't.

9. Iran on the map?
It's in the Middle-East, by Iraq.

10. Kofi Anan is a drink, true or false?
I don't know who or what that is.

11. Who is Tony Blair?
Sounds familiar. Sorry, I'm bad with names.

12. Which countries are in the axis of evil?
Axis of Evil? Do they mean the axis from WW2? If so, then Germany, Italy, and Japan.

13. Who was the first man on the moon?
Neil Armstrong. Buzz Aldwin was second. The Russians were the first in space, but we beat them to the moon.

14. What is a mosque?
I think it's a place of worship for Islamic believers. Like a church sorta.

15. How many kidneys does a person have?
Two.

16. What is collateral damage?
Excess damage to civilian stuff from military combat. I think.

17. What are Hiroshima and Nagasaki famous for?
We dropped atom bombs on them.

18. What is Al Quada?
We would call them a terrorist group that is funded from drug trafficking and extortion, but I suppose they wouldn't call themselves that.

Looking up the ones I didn't know or wasn't sure about, now I feel kinda dumb. But come on! How many of you knew all the answers, huh? Go to New York, smart people are there.

Cornface

Avoid, if at all possible.
Reaction score
Okey, I knew like 16/18 without looking it up on google.

But honestly, if you would target some people in Sweden too, you would get the same stupid answers as those Americans. :rolleyes:

Exide

I am amazingly focused right now!
Reaction score
But honestly, if you would target some people in Sweden too, you would get the same stupid answers as those Americans. :rolleyes:

Only if you ask people older than 30, and younger than 15. :p

T.s.e

Wish I was old and a little sentimental
Reaction score
Uzbekistan.

I have no idea.

Judaism, some Islam, Christianity and Druze.

Buddhist...

The Vietcong, whether or not Americans like to believe it :D

6. Who is Fidel Castro?
The president of Cuba until 2008.

Pound, but I believe Euro is also a viable currency.

8. Sri Lanka on the map?
Just to the north of Australia, in the middle of the ocean. A rather large island.

9. Iran on the map?
Borders to Iraq, Afghanistan, Armenia and others. It's in the Middle-East nonetheless.

False.

11. Who is Tony Blair?
The former prime minister of the United Kingdom.

Iraq, Afghanistan and Iran.

Neil Armstrong.

14. What is a mosque?
The Islamic house of worship.

Two, unless it has been surgically removed.

Civillian damage in war.

They are the only cities who have been bombed by atomic bombs.

18. What is Al Quada?
An Islamic group.

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
Don't worry, there's a video where an american goes around asking even easier questions to brits (things like how many sides of a triangle), they don't know either ;P.

Seb!

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Describing Al-Qaeda as an "Islamic group" is like describing the KKK or the American military as a "Christian group". Yes, they are predominantly Christian, and many may refer to them as such, but do they represent anything Christian? About as much as Al-Qaeda represents Islam.

BlowingKush

I hit the blunt but the blunt hit me.
Reaction score
Sadly, Americans ARE stupid.

This really doesn't surprise me. A majority of Americans are severely uneducated and live their lives accordingly. It's not surprising that we also have a government stunted by such systemic stupidity. A government by the people, for the people. Its the nature of the bell curve. A few intelligent people, a few super ignorant (eg Sarah Palin), and a shitload of average dunces. Our government is just a product of this 'duncical' equilibrium. We are too naive to admit that someone else might be smarter then us. As a result, to appease the masses, we have to let everyone have a voice, and ultimately thwart the advantage of genetic diversity.

Americans spend most of their lives believing the bullshit fed to us by Anderson Cooper, Jay Leno, and the media. They are to ignorant to answer their own questions and accept the obvious as the truth. Instead of reading a science book, or taking a math course, they would rather update their MySpace page and Twitter their roommate about last weeks Survivor episode. Americans would rather be entertained then educated, and ultimately our society, our culture and maybe even our species will pay the ultimate price.

But what would I know? I'm just a pothead.

CatCat

Reaction score
happy time

Sadly, Americans ARE stupid.

This really doesn't surprise me. A majority of Americans are severely uneducated and live their lives accordingly. It's not surprising that we also have a government stunted by such systemic stupidity. A government by the people, for the people. Its the nature of the bell curve. A few intelligent people, a few super ignorant (eg Sarah Palin), and a shitload of average dunces. Our government is just a product of this 'duncical' equilibrium. We are too naive to admit that someone else might be smarter then us. As a result, to appease the masses, we have to let everyone have a voice, and ultimately thwart the advantage of genetic diversity.

Americans spend most of their lives believing the bullshit fed to us by Anderson Cooper, Jay Leno, and the media. They are to ignorant to answer their own questions and accept the obvious as the truth. Instead of reading a science book, or taking a math course, they would rather update their MySpace page and Twitter their roommate about last weeks Survivor episode. Americans would rather be entertained then educated, and ultimately our society, our culture and maybe even our species will pay the ultimate price.

But what would I know? I'm just a pothead.

Oh dear, are we questioning democracy here ^^?

But I agree with you, Democracy does not work when ignorance rules.

But in theory it's great right? Everyone has equal rights, everyone has the power to vote, to lead their own country. But if the majority doesn't care/know then you might have a problem.

Note this isn't the case for all countries some countries do run a smooth democracy.
But this is also the case for other types of governing. Such as a totalitarian state, communism, despotism, etc. The 3rd reich did a pretty good job in appeasing their people. And indeed their methods may not seem moral and right, but aren't we doing the same to some extent?

Therefore I believe in order to solve this "problem" we need to educate everyone properly.

But is this really a problem in the first place?
If democracy falls due to ignorance, it's a problem.
If not,then there never was a problem, right....?

But even if we educate everyone wouldn't we be enforcing our ideas onto the public? By educating everyone we would have a more collective and unanimous opinion on most subjects.
Yet at the present people have vastly different opinions, which isn't really a bad thing right? it's their opinion in the end. Which brings me to my last rant.

Why should we go against what we have become as a society? Who are we to decide what is good for "our" society, and what is bad?

Now before we all materialize our opinions into words, let us question, let us interrogate our thoughts to better ourselves.

Everyone should take classes in philosophy, history, and Social studies, to further enlighten themselves. (please add to the essentials list)

Zakyath

Reaction score
Okey, I knew like 16/18 without looking it up on google.

I don't think I know anyone that, erm... anyone who knows so little over the age of fourteen...

Seb!

Reaction score
Everyone should take classes in philosophy, history, and Social studies, to further enlighten themselves. (please add to the essentials list)

See, you just chose what other people should learn. :p Not that I don't agree, but in the end the new generations have to trust the older generations to know what is right for them. They should have an open mind about the education, the ideas that are presented to them. But, in the end, you have to decide what you're going to think and what you're not going to think. No one can decide this for you.

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
Why should we go against what we have become as a society? Who are we to decide what is good for "our" society, and what is bad?

A very beautiful thing to say, yet with so many conflicting philosophies and ideas with so many issues, how can we not debate?

But what we do know is that all men have a right to speak and think. He can say, "God is here." He can also say, "God is no where." Taking that right away will be catastrophic. For if one man, which claims that there is a god, kills all of other men who claim there is no god, what would he do with any other doubting men? And what would the doubting men do with the believing men? There is a high chance for civil war.

Democracy will work. Remember the American Civil War? Two different people with two different ideas clashed to keep one nation together. A house divided can not stand, so we must compromise and compromise!

In America, liberal minded people usually succeed in the political world. Once gay men were beaten at gay bars by police men, now they're protesting for gay marriage in public. We should all continue to compromise and talk. Taking radical changes such as installing a one party rule would be a terrible tragedy for the world and its future. Regression, not evolution.

Jaujarahje

I have now changed this in the User CP
Reaction score
U.S.A. Ukraine, Uruguay, all I can think of right now

No Clue

Judaism

Buddhist.

United States pulled out. Arguably Vietnam Won

6. Who is Fidel Castro?
Cuban Dictator

Pound or Euro, not sure which

8. Sri Lanka on the map?
By India somewhere I believe (Not the greatest at Geography)

9. Iran on the map?
By Iraq, in the Middle East

No Clue
11. Who is Tony Blair?
British Prime Minister I think

If it's the ones from WW2, Germany, no clue about the rest

Neil Armstrong

14. What is a mosque?
Place of Worship, like a church, Can't remember what religion it is.

Two.

No Idea

The A Bombs

18. What is Al Quada?
Terrorist Group, Responsible for 9/11. Based in the Middle East, more specifically Iraq i think.

There's my answers with no cheating and looking them up or at other peoples. Now i'm going to go look where Sri Lanka is.

CatCat

Reaction score
Happy time 2

hihihi I'm such a hypocrite, I know! But I'll use the excuse "I'm only human" this time.

When you state that democracy will work if we compromise, well um we weren't really putting the emphasis on differences in opinions. But rather on the lack of interest or abundance of ignorance in a democracy. I'll give a better example.... for instance: When in a democracy not even 50% of the democratic citizens comes out to vote, well don't you think that this is pretty... sad?

Democracy is where the people are in power, the people decide what is right, they are the government. Yet if not even 50% care to vote... isn't this saying that they don't care how they are run?

I just find it appalling that people will only come out to vote if there is something horrible going on and must change.
E.g. the economic crisis in America made many people quite unhappy. And as we all know once you are unhappy you crave to be happy, so they vote. And not to forget the Great depression of 1930, which caused many many people to be unhappy, so unhappy that many people decide to vote for a more promising party, no matter how radical they were. (great depression caused Hitler to gain power through democratic means, but I'm sure you all already know that)

I want people to have their own opinion. I want people to have their values and morals. But I also want them to express it and go vote. Most importantly I want them to care about the importance of being a democratic citizen. If you don't care then you most probably wouldn't care if some king ruled over you (ofc as long as the king was a good one and didn't treat you cruelly)

Squll2

je'ne sais pas
Reaction score
Please dear god don't let this be real, Please, please please please!

-

However... Kofi Aran (or w/e). Seriously how could someone get that? Rofl.. But I would have said false.

Seb!

Reaction score
However... Kofi Aran (or w/e). Seriously how could someone get that? Rofl.. But I would have said false.

An educated person should seriously have known who the Sec-Gen of the United Nations was. And what a mosque is.

Squll2

je'ne sais pas
Reaction score
I'm New Zealand and only 14.. I don't really keep up with old US Sec-gens.. but ofc I knew what a mosque was.

Seb!

Reaction score
I'm New Zealand and only 14.. I don't really keep up with old US Sec-gens.. but ofc I knew what a mosque was.

Yeah, but most adults should know. I guess that's what the point of the video is :eek:.

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
try asking a college student, or for that matter. a high school students, older people tend to forget a lot of stuff xD

"Who should be the next target on our 'war of terror' "

Answer: Italy
?!?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.