Anyone tried out Safari?

Reaction score
Well, a friend of mine came and said "Hey, guess what, there's a cool new browser that's faster than IE, Firefox or Opera!"

So, we decided to take a look.

Safari, designed by Apple, for MAC OS, is now available for Windows users too.

Neat feature I've noticed there are the search, pages don't load "Up to bottom", but instantly, yet you have to wait untill it is loaded.

One Significan con - it eats twice as much memory as Opera. Quite a lot I'd say. Yet, it's still on beta, and the fact that some scripts aren't working yet, it looks nice.

Go and try it at http://www.apple.com/safari/

Share your opinions ;]

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
Ha. Ha. Ha.
I downloaded it, browsed to TH.net, tried to log on, and got this:

"Safari can’t open the page “http://www.thehelper.net/forums/login.php?do=login”. The error was: “unknown error” ((null):10053) Please choose Report Bugs to Apple from the Help menu, note the error number, and describe what you did before you saw this message."

Good game Safari.

FhelZone

Have a drink of a nice cold mellowberry juice!
Reaction score
What you dont know is there's something more superior than firefox. I know a lot about browsers, and what I'm talking is not what I use. The interface of my firefox skin makes it easier :D But this one is better than firefox as far as I know. Only that firefox has a lot of plug-in than this one. But dont worry I'll explain to you why.

Heres Avant Browser

Try to read, by I don't encourage you to dump your old browsers.

And by the way Safari is I think not yet well developed since apple is not into softwares I think.

InfectedWithDrew

I used to go here a lot.
Reaction score
FhelZone, you shouldn't go around touting that browser, since it's basically an IE mod, which means it's inferior. If it's a tweaked IE for security and useability, it's still IE. And that makes it bad.

Rad

Reaction score
I was using a Mac at College last term. They had Safari right before Firefox on that stupid bar on the bottom that eats 20% of the screen and blinks constantly when you open things from it.

I was told to use that by the instructor. We were given a simple task to go to the college website and find our way to this catalog database to view for things.

It wasn't even comparable. Mostly due to the layout of the Mac we were using. Really missed right-click (Ctrl+Click, wtf?). But anyway, I used it at first to test it out, it would as you say instantly load the page. Of course, if you leave a page and say the server is loading the list from the database you wouldn't be able to touch any of the links until it was done.

It didn't make sense. Its there... let me click it! It may have been an old version. They had an outdated version of Firefox, too (Pre-spell check)

Anyway, that wasn't very bad because it was an intranet so it was incredibly fast at loading. I tried opening a new tab, I couldn't figure out how. Can you even do it? I couldn't find a link in the menu at the top and the Firefox shortcuts obviously didnt work (Middle click, ctrl+click was obviously taken to RIGHT CLICK!)

I just used Firefox after awhile. Really no reason to debate them, its probably preferable on a Mac as its designed for it.

Seannny

Why GUI when you can Jass?
Reaction score
you guys are nubkakes (joke). You grew up with pc so you must defend pc, i get that.

Unfortunetly no one ever gets past the right clicks or the command button... or even just the layout

Give it some time.

Work with a mac... You will learn to love it.... A lot

So many times mac has great features.. like.. Unbelievabley great, to the point where you say wtf was pc thinking when they didnt include this.... for example.. a built in search feature that accesses all of your files in the hard drive.... and its instant... Oh and no damned stupid dog telling me that no items were found in the search...

by the end of 2010... MACS will be superior.

ps. you can get mice with right clickers. So that shouldnt even be a problem.

Rad

Reaction score
So many times mac has great features.. like.. Unbelievabley great, to the point where you say wtf was pc thinking when they didnt include this.... for example.. a built in search feature that accesses all of your files in the hard drive.... and its instant... Oh and no damned stupid dog telling me that no items were found in the search...

I don't use the Search feature very often. But I do have it customized. Did you know theres several settings available, such as indexing (Compiles the list of files so it is much faster, like Macs do by default apparently)... And yes, you can even turn the dog off :p

Lets not have this turn into an OS debate. Once again, its personal preference and until there is a solid reason to switch over there is no need for most users to learn how to use a Mac just because they have (questionably) "better" features.

You say I don't know macs enough but at the same time, how much do most Mac users know about PC's? Surely more than the other way around just because Windows is much more mainstream for standard users.

Seannny

Reaction score
Alright i agree that this shouldn't turn into a mac/pc war. and yes those who grow up with mac are skeptical on the pc's also. Me, im both mac and pc, what i was trying to say was to at least give them a good chance before shunning them. Don't give up pc, just try something new. I wasn't saying you suck if you don't use macs.

Anyways to the OP i for one love safari. Have not had any problems yet with it. Although it could be because im running the Mac Version and thats more ironed out than the Pc version. Its faster than everything ive seen so far... Not to user friendly. I'm still Firefox on PC because Firefox owns all. But IMO if you have a mac then safari is ideal, otherwise its not to great yet.

Duwenbasden

Ver 6 CREATE energy AS SELECT * FROM u.energy
Reaction score
I have Safari, and it screams "X.org" to me. But until they have decent plugins, I am sticking with Fx.

Seb!

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
jeez people REALLY hate macs.. My mac owns :p

But yeah safaris good, in my opinion, but im just an apple fan..

Rapmaster

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms689718.aspx - in Windows since 2000. The indexing did its job but the search GUI was a bit limited in that you had to be pretty specific about where the item you are searching for is located :) Google came out with their own app that did a better job. Windows built-in search is much improved in Vista of course :)

Seannny

Reaction score
jeez people REALLY hate macs.. My mac owns :p

But yeah safaris good, in my opinion, but im just an apple fan..

i know! im getting negative rep left and right from my lil pro mac speech! =(

Just to prevent any more... Im not against PC...simply for mac.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.