AOS Terrain

emjlr3

Change can be a good thing
Reaction score
Anyone care to make me a basic AOS map terrain, doesnt have to be nothing special, but I just hate starting from scratch, but once I have something there I can usually make it look pretty good

I kinda want to start mine over, I've realized I've done a good amount of things wrong trigger, plus the map itself is being sorta screwy, and the terrain is good, but not as intricate as I would like, sorta to linear....

I know there are some pretty good terrainers around here, and like I said it donest have to be something very in depth, I just need the basic outline, and I can prolly do the rest

if anyone is interested let me know, it would be very much appreciated :)

emjlr3

Change can be a good thing
Reaction score
bump...... nobody :(

I know someone must have a few hours the burn and can hook me up.....in the words of roger rabbit

pppppprrreeeezzzzeeeeeee

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
> basic AOS map terrain
> not as intricate as I would like

Basic and intricate don't go together.

AoS map is also really vague a description.

> need the basic outline

Maybe if you provided a basic description?
Number of bases. Are there bases?
Maze-like pathing?
Left to right?
Top vs bottom?

> pppppprrreeeezzzzeeeeeee

That's a word?

Rad

Reaction score
Attached of a basic AoS terrain done in paint, thats what they generally look like.

emjlr3 I reccomend you do not make an AoS. My god all my lectures on why AoS's are even popular dont even have effect on you people. Its pointless... This will be my last post in a thread about AoS's completely

PS: If you cant even make one of the easiest terrains to make Im sure your AoS will suck immensly. No offence.

uberfoop

~=Admiral Stukov=~
Reaction score
Rad said:
PS: If you cant even make one of the easiest terrains to make Im sure your AoS will suck immensly. No offence.
firstly, not true. some people are godlike in triggering and could go make a parabola jump that throws you in a curvy pattern and has the hero spin and shoot out balls of fire with aoe dmg in like 10 minutes.
other people couldnt edit the field values of trueshot aura if their life depended upon it but could easily terrain the best-looking rpg terrain ever.

secondly, dont be so negative about aos maps. theres reasons why aos and ladder are the 2 most popular things on bnet. except for dota, the only reason thats popular is cuz of all the little kids that suck at microing topo much to do anything else. like the people that play dwarph sniper.

anyway yah, whenever asking for an aos terrain PLS provide an example made in MS paint, prefferably with a key to the side so we know what the different colour blobs mean.

Grundy

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
just do like me, jack a some-what symmetrical Blizzard Melee (or an asymetical map, but those are usually harder to make even for both teams) map and just make what ever changes you need to it.

AgentPaper

From the depths, I come.
Reaction score
I can make your terrain if you want, Just send me a little sketch type thing of what you want, and a theme. Only tip is to make it as different from dota as possible without making the map bad, as many people may judge it based on that alone.

EDIT- I'm sleep now, maybe on the morn.

C

Cepheids

hey i fixed ur sniper trigger... check it out... dont give up!!!

S

Slaughter

Harsh, Rad.

I made a map yesterday, and everything works fine, the gameplay is as I intended it to be (with minor differences) but the map is just Boring. I have spent maybe 1/2 hour on it, so no big deal. Actually, half the reason it sucks is that I don't have any idea what it should be like (which wouldn't be a problem for an AoS).

foop: I never thought of making him spin. That would rock.

Shadowy Fear

I have returned
Reaction score
Start out laying out the pathways and major land features in tiles. That makes it easier to fix at first and gives you a basic idea of where things should go. Make the tiled version, at least, symmetrical, so you have a base to work off of.

Then begin raising major land features - mountains, oceans, and the biggest parts of cities. By doing this before everything else, you can be sure you won't run out of room. Adding a bit of decor helps keep morale up, too. =) I usually place a temple, palace, mountain, or some other large, impressive feature in the very center of my map - it helps you to build a mental map of your creation, and is a good way to either advertise your terrain skills or sketch out a useful structure (map center and corners are the most used areas, usually).

Then map out the smaller land features - lanes, rivers, hills, villages, and forests. (do lanes first, so you won't run out of room for them) Use your tiled areas for an outline, but don't be afraid to deviate from it in small ways - this is a great way to get a map that appears random and naturalistic, but is symmetrical and balanced just right.

There you go, how to easily terrain in 3 or more steps :p I had a thread that talked about this earlier ... I'll see about bumping it again.

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Pyromancer said:
sd_ryoko just posted a map that would be pretty usful

Yeah just do what he said just change the tileset and add different routes and different kinds of terrain.

$

$c0rp10n

yea or just use 5.67 and delete all the units and items and triggers
then just change it to whatever u want

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.