Apple software consuming constant CPU

Xorifelse

I'd love to elaborate about discussions...........
Reaction score
I don't use Apple software much, so I'm not sure what the issue is. So the problem is that either Itunes or Safari are constantly consuming CPU ( 0-50% ) also I hear my hard drives reading data constantly as well.

This only happens when I'm running the software and I think it's pretty annoying.

For the browser part, I haven't really opened up objects such as flash. Just plain html and css without Javascript.

Any idea on how to fix this issue?

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
They shouldn't be, make sure all applications are shut down and then check what your CPU usage is via Task Manager.
Then open Safari and a few tabs and see what it goes to, and then close Safari and do the same with iTunes.

It'd also be helpful to know your computer info - OS, RAM, Processor, Hard Drive size, IE: Windows 7 32-bit, 4GB, Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.2GHz, 500GB.

Are you using a laptop or desktop computer?, and I'm assuming you're running Windows.

Xorifelse

Reaction score
It actually shouldn't really matter what hardware I'm running, or how many applications I have opened. If I had a very slow PC I wouldn't have bothered posting. :eek:

Anyways, to make you happy.

WinXP 32bit, 2.2Ghz AMD Athlon x64, 1.5gb ram, 1x37gb wd raptor ( this is where windows is located ), 2x120gb raid striped wd 7200 rpm.

The applications I'm running doesn't consume more than 0 to 1% of my CPU most of the time, where both apple software jumps from 0 to 20-50% every second.

It's a 5 year old PC, but it should be capable to run Safari or Itunes with ease, while it doesn't. I didn't have this issue in the past, just started to do that recently. I don't know when, I have it installed on my PC for a while. I just started web designing and I noticed the behavior.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
just curious, why are you using safari?

itunes isn't too surprising, since it does a lot of stuff in the back-ground, but safari really has no reason to be using a lot if you just have a simple static web-page open

Xorifelse

Reaction score
just curious, why are you using safari?

itunes isn't too surprising, since it does a lot of stuff in the back-ground, but safari really has no reason to be using a lot if you just have a simple static web-page open
Safari is one of the few browsers using webkit, thus being fully html 5.0, css 3.0 compliant, which is the standard I'm using to write me website. All browsers will eventually go to this standard thus I don't have to write fixes for every single one out there.

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
It actually shouldn't really matter what hardware I'm running, or how many applications I have opened. If I had a very slow PC I wouldn't have bothered posting.

Anyways, to make you happy.

WinXP 32bit, 2.2Ghz AMD Athlon x64, 1.5gb ram, 1x37gb wd raptor ( this is where windows is located ), 2x120gb raid striped wd 7200 rpm.
Wohh, you're a bit hostile there, considering I'm just trying to help, and I didn't necessarily say that it should matter what hardware you're running, just that it would be good to know.
The applications I'm running doesn't consume more than 0 to 1% of my CPU most of the time, where both apple software jumps from 0 to 20-50% every second.

It's a 5 year old PC, but it should be capable to run Safari or Itunes with ease, while it doesn't. I didn't have this issue in the past, just started to do that recently. I don't know when, I have it installed on my PC for a while. I just started web designing and I noticed the behavior.

So if you just open Safari and don't open any tabs, it uses 20-50% CPU? and the same for iTunes, if you open it and don't do anything it uses 20-50% CPU?
What version of Safari and iTunes are you using, and have you updated recently?

Xorifelse

Reaction score
Wohh, you're a bit hostile there, considering I'm just trying to help, and I didn't necessarily say that it should matter what hardware you're running, just that it would be good to know.
It wasn't meant to be hostile, sorry if you got the wrong impression of me. I just wanted to point out that it wasn't my hardware, but perhaps an apple service, such as ItunesHelper.exe not functioning correctly. I've Googled this issue and found that some people have the same issue, but no helpful answer.

So if you just open Safari and don't open any tabs, it uses 20-50% CPU? and the same for iTunes, if you open it and don't do anything it uses 20-50% CPU?
What version of Safari and iTunes are you using, and have you updated recently?
I just updated Safari to the latest version before I posted this issue ( 4.0.4 ), for Itunes I updated that recently as well or at least it updated itself ( 9.0.3 ).

And it's not all the time constant. After about 10 minutes of doing literally nothing the browser it stops for a few minutes, after that it continues again. The page opened in Safari is a self build page that consists of just plain html 5 / css 3.

foi0ee.png

This is the load, it stopped for a little while when I was waiting for the line to get a little longer, but as you can see Safari was doing it's stuff the first part of the line. After that it was all the other 58 processes consuming the top 6% load ( and most of them are pretty heavy ). I just rebooted my computer for the most accurate data.

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
It wasn't meant to be hostile, sorry if you got the wrong impression of me. I just wanted to point out that it wasn't my hardware, but perhaps an apple service, such as ItunesHelper.exe not functioning correctly. I've Googled this issue and found that some people have the same issue, but no helpful answer.
Ah ok, it's all good. I have encountered an issue that Apple Software Updater consumes 50-70% CPU constantly if I start up Windows 7 as a virtual machine without internet connected.
I just updated Safari to the latest version before I posted this issue ( 4.0.4 ), for Itunes I updated that recently as well or at least it updated itself ( 9.0.3 ).

And it's not all the time constant. After about 10 minutes of doing literally nothing the browser it stops for a few minutes, after that it continues again. The page opened in Safari is a self build page that consists of just plain html 5 / css 3.
Alright, just a thought, if you created a new account and run Safari and iTunes do you get the same problems?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.