Aquisition Range Trigger

Father_Yetti

Reaction score
I have this trigger that I can't get to work and was wondering if anyone could help.

I don't have the computer its on in front of me so this is what I remember:

Events:
Unit - learns a skill

Conditions:
If, then, else.

Actions:
If;
-learned Hero skill equal to Power Scopes
-level of power scopes for triggering unit equal to 1

then:
-Unit - set triggering unit or (learning Hero, I have tried both) acquisition range to 700.

My unit is a sniper whose range I have set all the way to 1200 however I have his acquisition range starting at 600 and would think that as the aquisition range went up it would allow his range to likewise increase? Or is something wrong with my trigger?

Nexor

Reaction score
you should do it with upgrade(Long Rifles) it will increase your unit's attack range

Father_Yetti

Reaction score
I appreciate it, but it can't be an upgrade as it is meant to be learned as a Hero skill through experience gain, not the purchasing of an upgrade. Thanks anyway though.

Father_Yetti

Reaction score
btw, u have to use learning hero, its a native function.

Cool, thanks Vassilev, I have tried both, however, and neither has seemed to work. By the way what does a native function mean?

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
Do get any effect at all, start the Hero with the largest possible acquisition range in the object editor.
And reduce it to the starting value when he enters the map.

Note though that his range is his range... just because he doesn't shoot automatically at a target outside acquisition range doesn't mean he can't shoot it at all.

And, yes, upgrades are better.
Unless, of course, one player would have several such Heroes...

Father_Yetti

Reaction score
Do get any effect at all, start the Hero with the largest possible acquisition range in the object editor.
And reduce it to the starting value when he enters the map.

Note though that his range is his range... just because he doesn't shoot automatically at a target outside acquisition range doesn't mean he can't shoot it at all.

And, yes, upgrades are better.
Unless, of course, one player would have several such Heroes...

I don't know if this is true though as I can set a heroe's acqusition rage to 900 and his range to 1800 and have yet gotten him to hit anything behond his aquisition range of 900 even though his range is greater.

So I likewise thought that I could set his range high and work up to it through changing his aquisition range per levels gained via triggers. How come this doesn't work? I can't use upgrades it has to be through the gaining of expereince and learning of levels. It's a Hero, not a unit, and needs to be treated as such.

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
If his acquisition range in the object editor is, let's say, 200, that will be it...

With an object editor acquisition of 2000 and a range of 2000... it will sort of work. (reduce, the increase as needed)
However, he can shoot anything within 2000, regardless of acquisition.
He just won't shoot anything outside that range automatically.

Vassilev

Reaction score
Cool, thanks Vassilev, I have tried both, however, and neither has seemed to work. By the way what does a native function mean?

a native function is a function thats er.. the most basic and doesn't call other functions.

You see, in GUI, to make things easier for you, they code most of the GUI functions by making it call multiple various native functions for you so that you don't have to do them one by one.

Its like A is the gui function which calls B + C.

An example is:
Event response - Get Attacked unit

This function simple calls Event Response - Get Triggering Unit

which is really stupid because you could have just used Get Triggering Unit directly. But Blizzard made it so that GUI users could understand and easily know which one suits which purpose.

The reason we should call native functions instead of non-natives ones is because they are faster.

Kind of like talking to your neighbour directly instead of asking your mom to call your neighbour for you :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.