Are swimmers caps supposed to cover the ear?

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
Title. I tried googling it, but there are variations, it helps prevent swimmers ear, and all of that. But im having trouble pulling it all the way over my ear, and im afraid it will tear :confused:. Its made of silicone. When i went to buy it, it looked like there was a one size fits all thing. And they only had one size.

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You should ask Miz. He's a keen swimmer.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
swimming.jpg
By the looks of it.. Nyosh.

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
Title. I tried googling it, but there are variations, it helps prevent swimmers ear, and all of that. But im having trouble pulling it all the way over my ear, and im afraid it will tear :confused:. Its made of silicone. When i went to buy it, it looked like there was a one size fits all thing. And they only had one size.

Yes, I mean it should cover the top part of your ears, not your whole ear though and If its the Silicone one it shouldn't rip, and pretty much unless you have some weird head size, one size fits all. (My team they hand them out by the dozens.)

I don't wear a cap in my swimming though, but I haven't ever seen someone keep there ears out of the cap.

P.S. Both kind of caps are very stretchy, with four people pulling on it and filling it up with water we can fit a 6 foot guy into the caps. (don't attempt that with the Silicon caps though). So you shouldn't worry about it tearing, it will only tear after a lot of use in the chlorine or salt waters.

Also make sure, like most things for swimming that you rise them out in the sink with freshwater when your done. Especially for salt water swimming, it will allow it to last longer.

Jimpy

The Invisible Observer
Reaction score
I've always worn it covering most of my ear (like in the image supplied).

Less resistance by covering ear, plus it looks really goofy if its not on your ears since it pushes them out.

ElderKingpin

Reaction score
so it could be either cover the whole ear or just the top? It seems like its meant to cover your entire ear, and it doesnt exactly point out the difference between it being "snug" and "tight". Ill try it covering the top part. And when you put it on, are your eyebrows supposed to be squeezed between your goggles and the hat? do you rinse it immediately after you finish swimming? do you pull your hair back then put it on? or while you have it on lift up the front and sweep your hair under it

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
so it could be either cover the whole ear or just the top? It seems like its meant to cover your entire ear, and it doesnt exactly point out the difference between it being "snug" and "tight". Ill try it covering the top part. And when you put it on, are your eyebrows supposed to be squeezed between your goggles and the hat? do you rinse it immediately after you finish swimming? do you pull your hair back then put it on? or while you have it on lift up the front and sweep your hair under it

1) You could probably wear it over the whole ear but I am not sure if it will be comfortable, and you probably won't hear that great. I mean it can cover the tips of your ears all the way down to the middle, but after that I think it would just be painful.

2) You can show some of your forehead, but pretty much the eyebrows are suppose to be close your goggles and your swim cap. Tight is a good thing as long as it isn't like hurting you.

3) I rinse it when I get home, or when I take off my suit in the YMCA Locker-room. So you don't have to do it immediately but as soon as possible is best. (Same goes for suits if your wearing a Jammer, Speedo, etc.)

4) You can do it ether way but I see most girls with longer hair then the guys with long hair, pull it back first with hair ties, etc. and then put on the cap.
I have also seen some guys just put it on and tuck the back of their hair in.

Its up to you, I don't like caps so I just buzz my hair. (Because I swim year round) :p

ElderKingpin

Reaction score
1. Do you put it on before or after you get in the pool (or when your hair is wet, as to when its dry)
2. When does it stop feeling awkward to wear

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
1. Do you put it on before or after you get in the pool (or when your hair is wet, as to when its dry)
2. When does it stop feeling awkward to wear

1. Most people fill there caps up with water and then put it on there heads, so I would assume hair wet is best but you can do it ether way.

2. Well basing it off what I tell people about the Jammers and the other swim suits, is that you will get used to it in a few weeks or so.

uberfoop

~=Admiral Stukov=~
Reaction score
Get your hair wet before putting the cap on. And when the cap goes on, get it wet first.

Anything less is suicidal.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
To Miz:

1. When you wear a cap and cover the top of the ears with it, do they protect the waters from going into your ears?

2. Same question above, except after covering your whole ears?

3. When water goes into the ear, is it painful? Hard to get the water out? Uncomfortable?

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
To Miz:

1. When you wear a cap and cover the top of the ears with it, do they protect the waters from going into your ears?

2. Same question above, except after covering your whole ears?

3. When water goes into the ear, is it painful? Hard to get the water out? Uncomfortable?

1&2 - No water, can still get in there, you will still need to use rubbing alcohol* of some kind to dry out your ears after swimming.

3 - No, it just depends, I mean if you get water in your ear and don't use rubbing alcohol sometimes nothing occurs.
However someone like me who swims daily for hours at ta time, if I don't use it, I can get infections, etc. (Swimmer's Ear is the most common) and that hurts like hell...

So I suggesting using the rubbing alcohol almost all the time you can, because it isn't the water that causes the pain is when fungi or bacteria develop in those damp spots in your ears that can cause pain.

*But I request that you buy the special kind of rubbing alcohol made for drying out ears.

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Ew, I don't like cap. Feel funny. Look funny. Is funny.
I never swim with cap!
But I guess it helps.

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

ElderKingpin

Reaction score
swimming caps are usually for the more "adept" swimmer. because jammers goggles and caps cost about 20-40 dollars when added up together. People who use those instead of the normal swimming trunks are usually more serious in swimming. Its a sign of being learned in the art of swimming. Plus it helps swim faster (maybe, im going to run some tests for my science project on hydrodynamics)

uberfoop

~=Admiral Stukov=~
Reaction score
swimming caps are usually for the more "adept" swimmer. because jammers goggles and caps cost about 20-40 dollars when added up together. People who use those instead of the normal swimming trunks are usually more serious in swimming. Its a sign of being learned in the art of swimming. Plus it helps swim faster (maybe, im going to run some tests for my science project on hydrodynamics)
Adeptness is more a symptom of the real reason than anything else; it all stems from competitiveness. People who actually compete at any reasonable level are going to wear lycra competition suits, and, if applicable, caps. It has nothing to do with being 'learned'.

Although, it's a little weird to act like the caps cost any substantial amount of money. :)

It's also important to note that jammers don't have any real advantages as compared to speedos, and the latter affords much improved leg flexibility.

ElderKingpin

Reaction score
my cap cost 12 dollars :/

still. i wouldnt spend 12 bucks on something i sucked at

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Yes, caps and tight suits shall give you an extra .5 seconds.
Did you buy a cap btw?

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
Yes, caps and tight suits shall give you an extra .5 seconds.
Did you buy a cap btw?

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

Actually more, the more drag you have the more you can add on seconds and for something like the 50-100 Free, places are made between milliseconds in big meets. So it can be a big deal if your really are determined into getting into finals or the top 8, etc.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.