Discussion Are swimmers caps supposed to cover the ear?

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
With caps on, are they faster than those who are bald?

uberfoop

~=Admiral Stukov=~
Reaction score
With caps on, are they faster than those who are bald?
Technically speaking, yes. Going capless and bald means you are indeed presumably generating very little hair drag, but you still have those ears sticking out. Not to mention, it's hard to beat the smoothness of a plasticky cap surface.
Usually the difference is mildly negligible though. It's kind of like speedos versus jammers; unless you're doing breaststroke, who the **** cares?
Unless you're at like, olympic finals or something. Then these things sort of matter.

Speaking of high-level meets, lol at all the LC records that aren't ever going to be broken. It's rather possible that the two breaststroke records Hardy broke at the US Open will wind up being the last WR's in swimming that'll be broken for a long time.

Yes, caps and tight suits shall give you an extra .5 seconds.
As compared to the usual board shorts type stuff and no cap it's musually a LOT more than .5 second. You're talking about removing a parachute :)

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
you wouldnt know unless you have a water-proof watch, with milliseconds on it. Ive been starting to think that the Flip Turn takes more energy to flip hit the wall and push then its worth. Sure, your momentum gets turned around but i could probably do the same speed by tapping the wall, turning around, bending my knees, and jetting off. Plus, if you screw up on the flip turn, yur done for. Its cool to show off even if you dont go faster :thup:

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
you wouldnt know unless you have a water-proof watch, with milliseconds on it. Ive been starting to think that the Flip Turn takes more energy to flip hit the wall and push then its worth. Sure, your momentum gets turned around but i could probably do the same speed by tapping the wall, turning around, bending my knees, and jetting off. Plus, if you screw up on the flip turn, yur done for. Its cool to show off even if you dont go faster :thup:

actually no, you will lose your lead not doing Flip turns anyone will tell you that and most coaches will hate you if you defy their words and not do a flip turn in a race.

You can actually win a race because of your turns, Michael Phelps does it.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
I swam for four years. Flip turns are a must.
I swam for 8 years floating...Coupled with a swimming hula.

There's another thing I wanted to ask about swimming:

Do I look attractive if I were to shave all of my body hairs just to reduce drag in the water? I know my thighs have long hairs, but I'm the only swimmer who has the most hairs in my local public swimming pool facility.

ElderKingpin

Reaction score
its body hair, figure it out

>I swam for four years. Flip turns are a must.

Not really.

uberfoop

~=Admiral Stukov=~
Reaction score
Timing yourself in a turn would be silly. You could never do the movements properly while striking watch buttons.

For that matter, flip turns don't just maintain momentum. They're also started earlier than a 1-hand turn and involve bending in a more flexible direction as far as the body is concerned.

The one situation I can think of where 1-hand turns are great is if you're using a kickboard, at which point you aren't in a race and won't be able to execute a flip with as much smoothness as normal, at which point it doesn't matter.

For that matter, why is this even a debate? I mean, people do have their turns timed, EKP. They started doing flip turns back in the day when flip turns were timed as being far faster than 1-hand touch for every practical racing purpose.

ElderKingpin

Reaction score
im going to time it anyway :thup: its my part of my hydrodynamics science project too :/

ElderKingpin

Reaction score
since we are on the subject of swimming, does the hair color change that comes from swimming permanent?

uberfoop

~=Admiral Stukov=~
Reaction score
What manner of hair color change?

The bleaching effect of swimming a LOT of hours and not cutting your hair thus letting it be affected for a long time is permanent until you get a haircut, of course. Or dye your hair, I guess. Or something.

Technically speaking, there are some effects that can cause hair color change that are not though.

ElderKingpin

Reaction score
If you have black hair (i do) and you swim a lot, it changes the black into a lighter hue, like brown

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
If you have black hair (i do) and you swim a lot, it changes the black into a lighter hue, like brown

If you swim daily, like me, Yes it will eventually get lighter but randomly. Not every strand of your hair is going to become highlighted, and it isn't extremely sudden its a transition.

I am naturally a dirty blond, but I have the darker blond strands, the really light blond strands and then white/silver strands caused by the Chlorine.

ElderKingpin

Reaction score
ok. im back.

For my science project im testing if jammers caps and flip turns increase swimming speed

To do this, i have to know the flip turn
I know how to do it, but i dont have enough lung capacity to flip and boost off without having to come up before i can do the butterfly kicks. Any tips on that?

Jimpy

The Invisible Observer
Reaction score
how long do these normally last

It depends how many times you swim per week, etc. and how good you take care of your cap.

I don't really know from experience.

Mine has lasted over a year so far of moderate outdoor swimming. (Like 1-3 times a month in the swimmable months of Ontario). My dads seem to be ageless and he uses them in chlorinated pools, but he rinses them off imediately after swimming.

1. Do you put it on before or after you get in the pool (or when your hair is wet, as to when its dry)
2. When does it stop feeling awkward to wear

I have longish hair and putting them on dry hurts immensely, taking it off if bits are mixed wet and dry hurts even more. Wet is the way to go of the hair and the cap.

I find it only feels weird out of water, and if its a wackey ass tye-dye color.

swimming caps are usually for the more "adept" swimmer. because jammers goggles and caps cost about 20-40 dollars when added up together. People who use those instead of the normal swimming trunks are usually more serious in swimming. Its a sign of being learned in the art of swimming. Plus it helps swim faster (maybe, im going to run some tests for my science project on hydrodynamics)

Doesn't help you swim faster, it just helps you reduce drag. I'd also say its not for a more adept swimmer, but someone who takes swimming more seriously (though seriousness and adeptness do probably go hand in hand).

Do I look attractive if I were to shave all of my body hairs just to reduce drag in the water? I know my thighs have long hairs, but I'm the only swimmer who has the most hairs in my local public swimming pool facility.

Uh I think that's a matter of opinion. If you do it, go to some sort of waxing salon place so its done right. Less hair will be less drag.

since we are on the subject of swimming, does the hair color change that comes from swimming permanent?

Some pools where I am are switching to other natural salts instead of chlorine, and they are said to be less damaging to hair. Far as I know though, its temporary, doesn't harm the scalp. Assuming you take a good shower after your swim.

To do this, i have to know the flip turn
I know how to do it, but i dont have enough lung capacity to flip and boost off without having to come up before i can do the butterfly kicks. Any tips on that?

Increase lung capacity via jogging regularly? I think this is a scenario where techniques won't help too much, practice and cardio work being the answer.

I realize the topic has changed a fair bit, but no ones mentioned the importance of swimming caps when doing outdoor distance swims. Their key to being visible, and are enforced swimmers wear them.

ElderKingpin

Reaction score
you are up in Canada, its colder up there and swimming caps help teh head keep warm

Swimming faster is a result of less drag :3

That is assuming you are swimming at the same speed and not just reducing your actually energy output to go at the same speed with drag

Avaleirra

Is back. Probably.
Reaction score
Swim
caps should cover around half of your ear. I stopped using swimcaps 6 years ago when I started playing water polo instead :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.