• Yes

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • No

Votes: 52 94.5%

• Total voters

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
Because the apps are only zoomed, and its still not able to be used for any good office functionality.
Actually that's not quite right, the iPad is compatible with the existing 140,000 iPhone applications on the App Store, that can be used at the normal resolution, or upscaled 2x.

There will be a massive rush for getting iPad specific applications on the store.
A lot of developers, particularly the larger ones, will bring out iPad versions of a lot if not all of their iPhone apps.

A lot of media magazines, press will bring out iPad apps etc... for example, the New York Times are brining out a subscription based iPad application, you'll be able to view colour pictures, video, sound clips, etc...
The iPad has some amazing hardware behind it, but it's really the 9.7" 1024x768 screen that allows more creativity when developing applications, you'll see more "computer like" apps, even ports of computer applications like iWork on the iPad.
Apple said its basically iPhone OS with a few tweaks. And if not so, tell me the new features plase.
The iPad runs the iPhone OS 3.2, which funnily enough, the iPhone won't. But the iPhone OS 3.2 is not a tweaked version, it's more like an overhauled version.
They've completely redesigned the user interface to fit the larger screen, improving it greatly, and not just that, they've completely redesigned the apps that are on the iPad.

I'm not sure if that's what you consider new features, but it's no doubt new and improved.
Don't forget about the iMac, which is basically a Mac just in the size of an iPod.
And some cool things will be the iWater, the iStone (which is basically a stone that can be touched and is different for each customer) and don't forget about the iFlower, which will be quite handy because you only need to touch it to water it.
You'd be hard pressed to find a desktop computer that's better value than the Core i7 iMac, it's only flaw to gamers is the weaker GPU.
Yes how can those operating systems that aren't full operating systems not be awesome?
Tablet computers have failed for the last ten years because they run full OS's, you get slow performance because the hardware can't handle it well, poor battery life and programs that aren't great because they are designed to be used with a keyboard and mouse.

Anachron

Reaction score
Actually that's not quite right, the iPad is compatible with the existing 140,000 iPhone applications on the App Store, that can be used at the normal resolution
But then again, what's the sense of the iPad?
, or upscaled 2x.
But it looks ugly, because its zoomed.

There will be a massive rush for getting iPad specific applications on the store.
False, there are so many apps right now on store, that most won't create apps for the iPad design, because the apps are written for the iPhone actually.

A lot of developers, particularly the larger ones, will bring out iPad versions of a lot if not all of their iPhone apps.
Not really. The iPhone is on number one, and things will not change since all are going to buy iPad who have iPhone and Ipod Touch right now, and that won't be that fast because there are much customers for iPhones and iPod Touch within the 3 years they are available.

A lot of media magazines, press will bring out iPad apps etc... for example, the New York Times are brining out a subscription based iPad application, you'll be able to view colour pictures, video, sound clips, etc...
The iPad has some amazing hardware behind it, but it's really the 9.7" 1024x768 screen that allows more creativity when developing applications, you'll see more "computer like" apps, even ports of computer applications like iWork on the iPad.
Basically, iPad is awkward. Just think about the MacBookAir. Why do you need an iPad when you can use MacBookAirinstead? MCA is small, fast, flexible and has a real OS.

The iPad runs the iPhone OS 3.2, which funnily enough, the iPhone won't. But the iPhone OS 3.2 is not a tweaked version, it's more like an overhauled version.
To bad, that isn't really a pro.

They've completely redesigned the user interface to fit the larger screen, improving it greatly, and not just that, they've completely redesigned the apps that are on the iPad.
Well, those 20 apps that are by apple are maybe redesigned, but not the iTunes apps.

I'm not sure if that's what you consider new features, but it's no doubt new and improved.
Basically, its just a must for new products and you falled for it, because iPad is really nothing, just a bigger iPhone.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Tablet computers have failed for the last ten years because they run full OS's, you get slow performance because the hardware can't handle it well, poor battery life and programs that aren't great because they are designed to be used with a keyboard and mouse.

Solution: use better hardware. The thing costs maybe 200 dollars to make.

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
think about it.

The iPad has 1Ghz of processor power.

So does the Nexus 1.

I think with so much room apple could do better then a tiny nexus one.

I personally have nothing with Apple (other then it being too friggin hard to reliably right-click with a MacBook Pro)
Apple doesnt need a tablet, because i honestly dont see a lot of people carrying around tablets now-adays, its all on their phone now.

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
But it looks ugly, because its zoomed.
So you won't be using iPhone applications on it, maybe a few at first if you wanted. Wait until launch, there will be thousands and thousands of apps pouring into the App Store designed just for the iPad.
False, there are so many apps right now on store, that most won't create apps for the iPad design, because the apps are written for the iPhone actually.
That's not so, they may be written for the iPhone... but it wouldn't be that difficult to take your iPhone app and re-designed it for the iPad.
Not really. The iPhone is on number one, and things will not change since all are going to buy iPad who have iPhone and Ipod Touch right now, and that won't be that fast because there are much customers for iPhones and iPod Touch within the 3 years they are available.
The large developers, like Gameloft, and Electronic Arts, that have anywhere between 40-60 titles on the App Store each, will no doubt bring 90% of those apps, if not all to the iPad. They make millions of dollars a month from selling those apps, the iPad is just another target market for them. It wouldn't be very difficult to take an iPhone application, and redesign it for the iPad - particularly for those big companies.
Basically, iPad is awkward. Just think about the MacBookAir. Why do you need an iPad when you can use MacBookAirinstead? MCA is small, fast, flexible and has a real OS.
It's also 3-4x the price, and isn't really beneficial to me. I wouldn't buy the iPad if it ran OSX, I don't need another computer, I want a media centre - and a gaming device.
Solution: use better hardware. The thing costs maybe 200 dollars to make.
Yeah but better hardware costs more, you still hit the problem of poor battery life and applications that just don't suit a touch based environment.
You can only fit a battery of a certain size into a slate before it becomes too big, until there are big break throughs for batteries, 4-6 hours at the best is kind of what you're going to get.

Who needs a slate that runs a full OS? if you need a full OS using a net-book or laptop should be sufficient.
The iPad has 1Ghz of processor power.

So does the Nexus 1.

I think with so much room apple could do better then a tiny nexus one.
Well for one, the Snap Dragon processor won't be nearly as good as the processor in the iPad. 1GHz A4 vs 1GHz snap dragon is not the same. Wait for benchmarks... I could be wrong of course, but I doubt it.
Also, what is that processor going to be doing that it needs to be 1GHz? There won't be any need for anything faster than the 1GHz A4 in the iPad, not at the moment anyway.

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
just general speed.

The processor makes up for the internet speed of T-Mobile.

And if you want to watch like 5 Hulu episodes at once... its not a bad thing to have too much power

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
just general speed.

The processor makes up for the internet speed of T-Mobile.

And if you want to watch like 5 Hulu episodes at once... its not a bad thing to have too much power
Hmm ok, check this video out, I think its pretty cool. I can't wait to get my hands on one, video goes for 5 min 45 s, it's using Safari on the iPad simulator.
http://www.ipadinsider.com/ipad-safari-broswer/

I think when the device comes out, we'll see it having a camera. There are APIs through out the SDK for video chat and camera functionality. Plus, I think we'll see it coming out slightly cheaper, by a $100 or so, maybe not though.

Varine

Reaction score
So you won't be using iPhone applications on it, maybe a few at first if you wanted. Wait until launch, there will be thousands and thousands of apps pouring into the App Store designed just for the iPad.

And none of them will be on my phone?

Who needs a slate that runs a full OS? if you need a full OS using a net-book or laptop should be sufficient.

Who needs a slate to begin with?

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
And none of them will be on my phone?
I'd say that's pretty much right.

There are three possible scenarios that I see:

Some apps will be developed for the iPad only and will not have an equiv. iPhone app sold or bundled with it.
Some apps will be sold as a bundle, you buy it you get the iPhone version and the iPad version.
The iPad and iPhone version of an app will be sold separately.
Who needs a slate to begin with?
Personally, I don't need one for my work. It's more entertainment, my own portable media centre / gaming machine.
But there are plenty of people who need slates, a lightweight touch screen device to work on and input data. Doctors, for example.

Varine

Reaction score
my own portable media centre / gaming machine.

Yup that processor is one hell of a gaming tycoon.

Doctors, for example.

I seriously doubt a doctor needs one. Have you ever been to a doctors office? They aren't going to use a thing like this for anything, that's why they have rows of files on patients. The only kind of place I can see someone needing this for work is at the Apple Store. Where they don't actually need it, they'll just walk around and use it so that when people walk in they'll be like "Hey, that sharp-looking Japanese man who, if he was wearing a lab coat, would look like a doctor/really hot girl is using the iPad for something! He seems smart/she is hot, it must be useful/cool! I oughta buy one because then I can be useful/hot and cool!"

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
But there are plenty of people who need slates, a lightweight touch screen device to work on and input data. Doctors, for example.

Doctors are not going to train to learn this technology when they can use a simple piece of paper and pen, especially old doctors. I doubt my doctor is going to use a slate.

Pretty much the people who are going to buy it are going to be snooty people who "can just buy it" or the preppy college kids who are gullible. Get me a laptop over an iPad any day during school or work.

Have you ever seen a doctor with personal technology at work? Maybe a cellphone. I doubt doctors need iPatient or iMedicine or iPrecription at work...

"Dammit I'm A Doctor! Not An Apple User"

Varine

Reaction score
Have you ever seen a doctor with personal technology at work? Maybe a cellphone. I doubt doctos need iPatient or iMedicine or iPrecription at work...

They have iRays though! Or... Xrays nevermind. They have nothing dealing i.

Varine

Reaction score
Hello Kitty Clan has spoken! The iPad has not gained HKK approval.

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
Yup that processor is one hell of a gaming tycoon.
Actually, considering the FPS / RPG games I play on my iPhone 3GS, I think the iPad will be quite awesome for gaming.
I seriously doubt a doctor needs one. Have you ever been to a doctors office? They aren't going to use a thing like this for anything, that's why they have rows of files on patients. The only kind of place I can see someone needing this for work is at the Apple Store. Where they don't actually need it, they'll just walk around and use it so that when people walk in they'll be like "Hey, that sharp-looking Japanese man who, if he was wearing a lab coat, would look like a doctor/really hot girl is using the iPad for something! He seems smart/she is hot, it must be useful/cool! I oughta buy one because then I can be useful/hot and cool!"
http://obamapacman.com/2010/02/epocrates-reports-1-in-4-doctors-likely-to-buy-apple-ipad-tablet-within-the-year/
That's to what I was referring, whatever it means, it was just an example... perhaps not the best.

I just hope it gets Warcraft 3 :p

Varine

Reaction score
I'm fairly certain that website is a complete joke. Yes let's interview 350. That's like me interviewing 350 kids and asking if they like high school, and I'll just be sure to find the ones that do. And honestly if your doctor is looking through their phone to see what's wrong with you... I think you best find yourself a new doctor. Meanwhile, here in the real world, I'm going to use my laptop (which, by the way, has a 2.1 GHz processor, 4 gigs of RAM, a 320 gig hard drive, and a 16 inch display and cost the same), and when necessary I will use my touch screen addition for when it's necessary for me to be able to touch the screen and make things happen (which is rarely, sometimes when making early drafts of buildings or something, usually I use a piece of paper like most people though). And I have USB ports, a camera, and my battery lasts 8 or so hours usually. But damn it weighs THREE whole pounds. My calculator has more computing power than the iPad.

AnthraxXx

Reaction score
I was considering getting my dad one for the good ebook function it has, but I will probably wait for the 2G version.

Varine

Reaction score
Buying a dinner plate for him would probably be cheaper and just as effective :thup:.

Or a book. Ebooks usually aren't that much cheaper. And they hold less value too, with printed ones you can trade, lend it, sell it, etc. And you're not screwed if your hard drive dies. Plus printed ones gain value after time, I have a copy of Roadside Picnic, people are selling it for like 200 dollars on Amazon.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.