Automated pick new unit after a spell has been used

Solu9

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
This is going to be tricky to explain.

I have this map which is inspired by Final Fantasy, especially the battle system of FF VII - FF X where you encounter enemies as you walk around in the world without seeing them. When you get an encounter you get moved to a battle area where you battle whatever enemies the trigger choose.

To my question.

When your characters has been moved I need a system to pick one of the playing characters at first. When that unit casts a spell/uses an ability the game will automatically change character which you can that use another spell/ability with. This will happen for all of the characters in the battle area until all of them has been picked, and then start all over again with the first picked.

While this is happening the characters which are not picked will just auto attack the enemy.
Lastly, you should not be able to pick any of the none automated picked units yourself.

I am not able to do JASS but please explain anyway if this is possible.

Thanks in advance.

Sil3nt

SUP?
Reaction score
You could use a unit group variable and add your characters into there are no more units in them, and remove them once they cast a spell. I'd also store the characters into their own unit variables to make it easier for the order of battle instead of randomly picking who gets the next move.

Xan_Kriegor

I can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Basically what Sil3nt said. Also I'm assuming that this is going to be for a singleplayer map.

Personally what I would do (I don't know JASS either) is use a unit and 2 unitgroup variables. The unit variable is for the one you want the player to have selected. The first unitgroup is for units that haven't gone yet, and the second unitgroup is the units that can go (e.g. if you have non-combat units, you don't want those to interfere). Using a 0.0X second loop trigger, force selection (this keeps it on the intended unit) on the unit variable for the player and when it does something, remove it from the first unitgroup and select another one from that unitgroup. When the unitgroup is emptied, set the first unitgroup to the second unitgroup and start over again.

If you want to have units go in a certain order, I'd suggest using either the custom value (easiest but you might be using that already) or make a hashtable and give each unit a number or something like that and go through the list.

Smitty

Reaction score
Instead of a 0.0x second loop, which is ugly, what about 'selection event'? If a player selects another unit, just tell it to select the one you want them to.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.