Arena Battlemage

Broderick

Reaction score
Hey all! Just thought I would spread the word on the map I just (more-or-less) completed. After a "year" (more like a couple of months, on-and-off) of work, I present to you...

Battlemage by Broderick

Current Version: 0.24 Beta

Choose from six different classes, each of which has access to 3 combat styles and 12 abilities. Once the match begins, it's a 6 on 6 brawl to see which team can destroy the opponent's Archmage first. The focus of this map is really on team strategy and adaptability, with little to no emphasis on building up individual players.

Map features:
- Numerous JASS enhanced custom spells.
- No gold! That's right. There is no farming and no leveling. The action starts right when the match starts.
- Quick combat. You don't really have the time to sit around and regenerate mana (and there is no Fountain), so we have taken care of that for you. Standard mana regen can bring you from nothing to full in pretty short order, keeping the action flowing.
- The team is greater than the sum of the individuals. In Battlemage, we don't worry about who killed who, or what particular build is "the best" for your class. The only stat we keep in this game is which team wins.
- Multiple objectives. While Battlemage may lack the idiosyncrasies of getting to create your own hero, it makes up for this in tactical complexity. Cap multiple shrines to give your team advantages, destroy enemy NPCs to give your team a bonus at sudden death, or just bum rush the enemy Archmage.

If you would like to notify me about any bugs, exploits, imbalances, or complaints, please send an email to [email protected]

You are also free to leave any comments or suggestions here (of course).

Happy Battling!

Broderick

Changelog:
Update to v0.24 beta (8-27-2008)
- Various cosmetic changes and typo fixes.
- Added new tutorial at map start-up so players are familiar with objectives.
- Minor balance issues (pretty much just made the Shaman Fire and Earth style spells more expensive to match with the amount of devastation they can cause at Sudden Death).

Attachments

• Battlemage v0.24 beta.w3x
    377.6 KB · Views: 247

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
So we are all mage-like hereoes? The fast-action sounds cool, I'll test it out. :)

EDIT: I only tested it in single player, and it was pretty fun, even by myself, lol...

The terrain is good, too. Not much else to say about that; it's realistic, fits the forest-style, and is balanced. The shaman was the only hero I tested, and I like that you can use different styles and change (and the triggered spells, I liked the earth style Ravage-like spell from dota, lawl). Not sure if this is cheap or not, but the players can pick up there own flag and put it down anywhere.

Good luck!

Broderick

Reaction score
Thanks for taking a look thewrongvine. I just updated it to make the map a bit more user friendly. And the deal with the flag: you are supposed to be able to move your flag! The objective is not to capture the other team's flag, but rather to bring your flag to the center shrine (Guild Wars players may be familiar with this concept). Picking up the opposing flag just returns it to their base (useful if you kill the enemy flag runner).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.