Other Battleships Antarctica project

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
lol, cool. Okee, so we'll wait here...

Off-Topic: Btw, nice signature on that website with the top-posting thing. Took me a few seconds to get it. :D

SerraAvenger

Cuz I can
Reaction score
lol, cool. Okee, so we'll wait here...

Off-Topic: Btw, nice signature on that website with the top-posting thing. Took me a few seconds to get it. :D

yes, I love it too.

@Gigaresh: Nothing, currently ; )

EDIT:

Do you think I should implement an autokick trigger that automatically kicks players if they haven't done anything for 2 minutes?
Unless they typed -afk, which will increase the timeout to 5 minutes.
-afk will also pause all the player units, making them invulnerable also. Also, income for the other players will be rearranged so that they get income as if the player had left ( afk players will receive the money, too - just that they can't get money on another way ).
-afk only works 2 minutes after game start ( you can't go afk during the first 2 seconds of the game ).

Also a button will be implemented ( for the commandline-haters )

What do you think of it? Please discuss ; )

EDIT 2: @ all Betatesters: Please send me your email address via PM! I will start sending you the TradeSystem betas on Friday. Note that the buttons are currently absolutely ugly, but MurderMode is currently working on nice buttons! Also note that neither the AI nor the Upgrade system have been implemented yet. All cities are randomly placed, named, and have a random production rate ( leading to imba sets from times to times, where all cities produce wood and none produces tools ). Trading is limited to 2 resources for testing purposes.
-help should give you some advice on how to trade ; )

@ everybody else:
I'm currently implementing the resources and the buildings for production. This is what I lately came up with:

Food
Wood
Coal
Iron
Tools
Weapons
Luxury Goods
Spices

-Farm
Food/Spices
Always requires tools in the city

-Mine
Iron/Coal/Gold
Only Neutral Empire cities have productive gold-mines

-Forest
Wood

-Forgery
Iron, Coal, Wood -> Tools
Iron, Coal -> Weaponry

-Charburner
Wood -> Coal

-Gold smithy
Gold -> Luxury goods

Population requirements:
0-10: Food, Wood
10-30: + Tools
30-50: + Iron
70-90: + Spices
90-100: + Luxury goods

I don't know wether all this will be possible without creating serious lagg due to the huge amount of intense calculation I will need to do periodically in order make all this work. I hope so, but don't bet for it.

Best Regards, Davey

giragesh

Reaction score
Do you think I should implement an autokick trigger that automatically kicks players if they haven't done anything for 2 minutes?
Unless they typed -afk, which will increase the timeout to 5 minutes.
-afk will also pause all the player units, making them invulnerable also. Also, income for the other players will be rearranged so that they get income as if the player had left ( afk players will receive the money, too - just that they can't get money on another way ).
-afk only works 2 minutes after game start ( you can't go afk during the first 2 seconds of the game ).
It sounds like a good idea but needs some refinement or people would take advantage of some bugs heres what i suggest:

1. add a 30 second timer during which the persons boat is paused but still vulnerable this would stop players using afk as an escape mechanism.
2. remove the boat completely or take it to a unaccesable location. this would stop using it to block important paths etc
3. make a prompt to cancel afk so people can get out of it early. also start them back in the main harbour so they cant use it to ambush an enemy

other than that i think it would be an extremely worthwile addition to battleships.:thup:

thewrongvine

Reaction score
Ok, I like Giragesh's add on. :D

But not with the auto-kicking - what if it's so urgent and you forget to type -afk. ^_^ Maybe make it 5 minutes - it won't really change much, a lot of times I wait in Battleships for like 10 minutes to harvest money. :) It works.

SerraAvenger

Cuz I can
Reaction score
It sounds like a good idea but needs some refinement or people would take advantage of some bugs heres what i suggest:

1. add a 30 second timer during which the persons boat is paused but still vulnerable this would stop players using afk as an escape mechanism.
2. remove the boat completely or take it to a unaccesable location. this would stop using it to block important paths etc
3. make a prompt to cancel afk so people can get out of it early. also start them back in the main harbour so they cant use it to ambush an enemy

other than that i think it would be an extremely worthwile addition to battleships.:thup:

This was a really valuable post = ) I haven't thought of the escape yet.
How does it sound for you if you could only use -afk if you are in a base and have at least 80% health? Would prevent 1, 2 and 3. Or that -afk orders the unit to actually return to the main base, and THEN activates invul etc ( unless the unit has been ordered to do something else meanwhile ).

@The wrong vine: Well you know, in other BS maps 2 minutes of afk are enough to ruin the game for the rest of the team. I don't think this would be different here. This is a class based Battleships game, and one class less or more can really get you into trouble during a ship vs ship battle.

@Pureownage: With that you mean player read can use -afkkick to kick a player that was in active for more than 2 minutes? I don't think this is a good idea, the following things might happen: The host wants to play on dark green, rather than on red; The red slot is empty. Also the red player might not know who of the other team is afk, or just don't kick them becouse it is punishment for them. What I would use, however, is a -kick afk command that is available for everyone and that starts a dialog "shall player xyz be kicked?". Setting -afk should prevent this from happening though.

By the way, the other possibility for it to work would be calling -afk automatically for a player once he hasn't moved for a while, at least distributing to the teams gold rather than just sitting arround.

Greetings all, Davey

PureOwnage

Minecraft Server OP, Inactive.
Reaction score
How does it sound for you if you could only use -afk if you are in a base and have at least 80% health? Would prevent 1, 2 and 3. Or that -afk orders the unit to actually return to the main base, and THEN activates invul etc ( unless the unit has been ordered to do something else meanwhile ).

@The wrong vine: Well you know, in other BS maps 2 minutes of afk are enough to ruin the game for the rest of the team. I don't think this would be different here. This is a class based Battleships game, and one class less or more can really get you into trouble during a ship vs ship battle.

@Pureownage: With that you mean player read can use -afkkick to kick a player that was in active for more than 2 minutes? I don't think this is a good idea, the following things might happen: The host wants to play on dark green, rather than on red; The red slot is empty. Also the red player might not know who of the other team is afk, or just don't kick them becouse it is punishment for them. What I would use, however, is a -kick afk command that is available for everyone and that starts a dialog "shall player xyz be kicked?". Setting -afk should prevent this from happening though.

By the way, the other possibility for it to work would be calling -afk automatically for a player once he hasn't moved for a while, at least distributing to the teams gold rather than just sitting arround.

Greetings all, Davey
Can't you do a detect host function?
(I know the system isn't perfect)

Don

Rise with the Fallens!
Reaction score
Final draft of the Trade Route icon pack is up!

This (lemme say it) is fucking nice, it will give the map a pirate-like-trading-game-mode, i really like it.

Also Giga's idea are the best but host afkkick would sure be abused as a kick for people in your team, giving you ll their gold at the beginning.

PureOwnage

Minecraft Server OP, Inactive.
Reaction score
This (lemme say it) is fucking nice, it will give the map a pirate-like-trading-game-mode, i really like it.

Also Giga's idea are the best but host afkkick would sure be abused as a kick for people in your team, giving you ll their gold at the beginning.
I guess your right.

Don

Rise with the Fallens!
Reaction score
what would be better is that host (get the host detection system) type -afkkick, and then, it kicks all the player that havent done anything for like 3-5minutes and that obviously will leave a minute or 2 later.

I mean, if it auto does it, it is not decided by the host, making one of his target fly away. Host shall decide that way!<

Else, stick yo your idea with giga's implement!

giragesh

Reaction score

if more than one player went -afk wouldnt that clog the base a bit?

@ reconfiguring the money.
wouldnt that give an advantage to a team if all but 1 went afk just before a payout and came out of it after?

it would be good to get a beta test too i wont be able to do much in the testing department but it will give me an idea on things like size and flow which will help me give better input on future ideas.

SerraAvenger

Cuz I can
Reaction score
if more than one player went -afk wouldnt that clog the base a bit?

@ reconfiguring the money.
wouldnt that give an advantage to a team if all but 1 went afk just before a payout and came out of it after?

it would be good to get a beta test too i wont be able to do much in the testing department but it will give me an idea on things like size and flow which will help me give better input on future ideas.

oh no, I meant the money giveout that happens every second and raises with the fewer players are in game.

The base is big enough ; )

Sure you can betatest. Note though that apart from the basic trading system, I got nothing done that is in beta mode ; )

giragesh

Reaction score
Sure you can betatest. Note though that apart from the basic trading system, I got nothing done that is in beta mode ; )

thanks - will send my email

oh no, I meant the money giveout that happens every second and raises with the fewer players are in game.

whoops my bad i missinterpreted

SerraAvenger

Cuz I can
Reaction score
Serra are you working alone on this map?

Depends on how you look at it. Apart from ABC and PUI, I have done all the coding on my own. None of the icons nor the models are done by me.
I also got a lot of ppl that are helping me a lot by suggesting ideas, or offering help in one or the other way.

The only one that works on unprotected copies though am I, currently.
Hence why map creation takes as long ; )

Why are you asking that?

Greetings, Davey

thewrongvine

Reaction score
Perhaps... he wants... to help you... on your map... or maybe... he just wants... to know...

Do you need any more ideas? Just asking.

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.