Best Framerate you'd Expect?

Best Framerate you'd Expect? (fps)

• 60+ - This map should run at the best framerate my computer normally allows! Art is not important!

Votes: 21 41.2%
  • 50 - 60 - Oh well, I don't mind lowering the graphics to get it back up to 60.

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • 40 - 50 - I appraicate the eye candy, so I don't mind.

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • 30 - 40 - Sure it's annoying, but it's playable.

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • 20 - 30 - I guess I can put the graphics on low...

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Less then 20 - I have a terrible computer anyway!

Votes: 3 5.9%

• Total voters

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
You can't even notice the difference between 60 and 40 :rolleyes: .
You realize that the human eye sees at about 20 frames per second, right? 60 is just plain unnecessary. Movies these days are 24 (sometimes 30 I believe) fps. I'm happy to get movie quality.

kingkingyyk3

Visitor (Welcome to the Jungle, Baby!)
Reaction score
I always get >60fps in DotA. My pc works good and performance are high, with amd 64x2 5200+, 1GB Ram, and geforce 8600gt 512mb. However, when some massive spell come in, then it will fall to about 50fps. I luv >55fps. ^^

Valeur

Reaction score
You can't even notice the difference between 60 and 40 :rolleyes: .

If that was for me, it sure feels like I can :/. Or else it's because low fps is an indicator of spikes to come, or whatever it is. I always make the /fps command upon entering a game. But on this brand new comp of mine, I haven't really dropped low yet :/.

WastedSavior

A day without sunshine is like, well, night.
Reaction score
You realize that the human eye sees at about 20 frames per second, right?
Where did you come up with this information?

There is no evidence suggesting that the human visual system works in the same way as computers and video frames. Therefore, it is impossible to express the limitations of human perception as a given maximum framerate.

60 is just plain unnecessary. Movies these days are 24 (sometimes 30 I believe) fps. I'm happy to get movie quality.

There is a difference between Movies and Video games.

Movies are filmed in 24p, Yes, this means 24 frames per second.

Video games are viewed in 30-60 frames per second.

Whats the difference? How can movies be less and look better?

Movies use a different method,

Rather than capturing a single moment in time and using the whole image to represent one frame, video cameras always capture 2 snapshots (or moments in time) for each frame. The camera separates each snapshot into odd and even lines. It then makes a complete frame by combining the odd lines from one frame (the first) with the even lines from the next frame (the second field). This way, you can capture the scene nearly 60 times every second and display nearly 30 frames every second.

This process is called interlacing, and video games do not interlace.

In a video game, each frame represents a single moment, so to have the same quality as a movie, you would need to be running at twice as many frame's per second.

At 60 FPS:
A quick 180 degree turn in a game in only 1 second. A still object in the game would render 60 times evenly on that 180 degree arc (at 60 Hz frame rate), and visibly this would separate the object and its afterimage by 3 degrees. A small object and its afterimage 3 degrees apart are quite noticeably separated on screen.

There are 2 methods to make this less noticeable. The first, interlace it (the above mentioned used for movies), The second would be to simulate a motion blur.

kingkingyyk3

Visitor (Welcome to the Jungle, Baby!)
Reaction score
Actually what is the maximum fps of Warcraft? Seems warcraft can only run maximum 75fps.

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
lol, my map runs with 60+ for me with shitloads of eyecandy and a lot of art...
voted 60+

> Actually what is the maximum fps of Warcraft? Seems warcraft can only run maximum 75fps.

there's a command in wc3 named 'maxfps'
Code:
maxfps 150
will set your max fps to 150

Angel_Island

Much long, many time, wow
Reaction score
I would say 30 - 40 fps. When i play DotA, I got 30 - 40 fps and it is still playable.

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
I don't even notice a lag really until like...10-15 FPS;
Even though I never get that low (With 'good' maps; no leaks, lag, etc.) .
I'm also running a crappy graphics card too and still don't get that low.

GooS

Azrael
Reaction score
Laptop: Im glad if it keeps over 25+ in which I think it's playable, but it has many drops below 10.

Stationary: Which I will be getting back in a couple of days uses some very odd drivers that doesn't display the correct FPS, if it does I have 182 FPS in WoW and beyond in wc3, which is ridiculous so something is wrong, but it has no lags whatsoever in WoW (maybe some lower framerate in a fully crowded Dalaran), wc3, and the latest half-life game, so I'm fine with it!

However I think anything around 30 is enough!

PS: Don't like to comments in the poll so won't vote!

Tyrulan

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I can't say I've really ever played a game where I lagged due to FPS. I guess my vote in on 60++.

By the way to whomever said your eye sees at 20FPS? It's 16, it's why things blur in real time, like a train passing by. It's called residual memory, your eye is still registering the images before and will start to merge them together. :D

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
When I get my new computer it'll probably have 8GB of RAM ;) .
I think I'll be good for any game for quite a while :p .

leo120120

Reaction score
I have 8 Gb of ram, and all the maps run 58-60, and if the map is full of leaks it runs to 50-60 fps

Eyonix

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Some people are so lucky they can afford a good computer and internet.... Like the guy that said 50fps was "unplayable" lol..... I had to raid in WoW at one point in my life at 20fps constantly.... so 50 in WC3 is most definitely playable....I vote 20+

elmstfreddie

The Finglonger
Reaction score
I said 60+, since my computer is crazy leet and Warcraft shouldn't lag...
and if it does lag, it's due to the engine being crappy and regardless of what the map is, it's going to lag. That' sthe one thing I found with Warcraft:p

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
My FPS in WoW never goes 20+.
I do raids usually at 5-10 FPS and it's fine for me.

And like Eyonix said;
Lawl at the people who say 50 FPS in 'unplayable' :p .

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.