Bigger maps: JNGP or shrink models and camera zoom?

Galatius

Reaction score
Hi all

I want to create an epic RPG map that will be roughly twice as big as the maximum map size permitted by WE.

From what I have already found, there appear to be two ways of achieving this: (1) use the JNGP editor to create a 480 X 480 map, or (2) create a 256 X 256 map, reduce the size of all the models, and use camera zoom.

I have two questions:

1. Is either option clearly superior with respect to map load time and performance? I suspect that the second option is and, therefore, intend to use it. But if there is no significant difference, then I would rather use the first option and save myself the time of custom-sizing every model that I intend to include.

2. If anyone has used the second option, do you have any tips regarding which camera settings to use? I've played around with basic zooming but it looks a little clumsy. I think that zooming in while tilting the camera back and/or lowering it a bit might yield better results. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Xan_Kriegor

I can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I'm not experienced enough to give an answer, but I do know that one thing that can mess with cameras is if the players use the mousewheel to zoom in and out, as it will adjust the camera zoom back to the default. I'm not sure how it is that you'd fix this (aside from constantly resetting their camera), but this will probably be an unintentional side-effect.

dianamod27

Reaction score
I'm not experienced enough to give an answer, but I do know that one thing that can mess with cameras is if the players use the mousewheel to zoom in and out, as it will adjust the camera zoom back to the default. I'm not sure how it is that you'd fix this (aside from constantly resetting their camera), but this will probably be an unintentional side-effect.
I just allow players to go back to the original camera distance by pressing escape.

Dameon

"All the power in the world resides in the eyes"
Reaction score
Why do you want to make such a large map, do you actually need to space or is it just a compensation thing?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.