Blender to MDX conversion?

LurkerAspect

Now officially a Super Lurker
Reaction score
This is something I plan to pursue until I get it solved, but I'm looking for either: A program to convert .blend models (from blender) into .mdx/.mdl models (for warcraft 3); or a python script writer willing to write a script that does the conversion, that can be used by blender.

Although I don't expect ANY response at all, I'm still going to keep on asking this question until eventually I come across someone who can help.

LurkerAspect

Reaction score
Yeah, but it was designed for an old version of blender, and has since lost it's functionality. I'm sure the script could be altered or fixed, but I know nothing of converting 3d models, or about python for that matter.
Thanks for the input anyway.

EDIT: I found this site which seems to summarise the contents or buildup of a mdx/mdl, which might help create a script for it:
http://projects.blender.org/docman/view.php/67/20/mdlxdata.txt

Sooda

Diversity enchants
Reaction score
A fellow Blender user, it is been my secret dream to create such importer/ exporter for Blender. Like you I don't know a dim about Python scripting nor insights of model formats.

Now that you gave these interesting links I have to examine them.

There is user named BlinkBoy on wc3c.net who is behind Gmax and Max exporter modifications. He knows much about *.mdx and *.mdl file formats.

IF we could find Python programmer who is WILLING to code exporter/importer by BlinkBoy instructions it would be crazy.
Then there is Magos (Maggos?) who knows much about *.mdx/ *.mdl formats.

My so far plan was to do it all by myself -- learn modelling in Blender and texturing in the Gimp, learn Python (somewhat), learn *.mdx/ *.mdl formats (somewhat) and write exporter/ importer.
It takes ages to finish, though it is hoby for me.

When I have learned all that SC2 is big and WC3 is outdated. So I aim for SC2.
What are your modeling skills?

LurkerAspect

Reaction score
I can model quite well, given enough time, my skinning is not great, but I'm working on it, and I'm still inexperienced with animation, although I understand the principles and how to do it (in blender that is.)

I also use the gimp, although I'm not very experienced.

Here's a few of my finished projects:
BearTank.jpg

And this is the one I use as my test model when I experiment in converting and importing:
maunerterrifier.jpg

I've played around with gmax before as well, although I can't stand it because it's so confusing. Blender is by far the best for creating meshes, and it's easy to skin and animate with it as well, which is why I will fight for an export script! :D

Sooda

Diversity enchants
Reaction score
Your tank looks impressive, person also looks good. Textures especially on tank are nicely done.
I can model (simple things -- I have done Blender modeling tutorials and experimented on my own). I know how to create UV Map, though creating good looking texture in the Gimp is still hard for me. Not to mention I get confused which UV Map face in the end I am painting.
I don't know how to animate.

You model and texture well (I guess animate decently too). Though I have no better solution how to create Blender to *.mdx format exporter/ importer than I already suggested.

Learning modeling and texturing (creating images) is in its own a game. It takes time and people to push it (develop) then there maybe will be exporter someday.

EDIT:

If you want you can see one of my first public modeling progress from this thread:
http://www.thehelper.net/forums/showthread.php?p=1138776

LurkerAspect

Reaction score
I suppose if I can find magos' or one of the other people you mentioned's email addresses, I could ask them directly, although I'm probably going to be ignored. But it's worth a shot, anyway.

It would be amazing if someone could make an exporter that also remembers UV coordinates for texturing, and even bone movement, and that uses empties as attachment points.

CrapHeap

Reaction score
still working on this?

I have been looking for some way to import warcraft 3 models in blender some time now (about 10 minutes :D ) and I would be happy to help you make something like that.
I have no skills whatsoever in modelling, animating or texturing, but I have a little knowledge about python (although I switched to c++ last year) and I think I could be able to write an importer when given enough time and encouragement.
If you are still working on this, please let me know.

ps: sorry if I made some grammatical errors, English is not my primary language

LurkerAspect

Reaction score
Hi there :) I'm still alive on these forums. I havn't been working on this project, but if you think you can help, that would be great :) unfortunately, I don't really know how to start or anything, so if you have any suggestions, I'll listen intently.

And don'y worry about your english, it's very good :)

Sooda

Diversity enchants
Reaction score
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.