c++ struct enumerations

Xorifelse

I'd love to elaborate about discussions...........
Reaction score
I'm currently thinking about possible ways to make mmorpg, the basic view is like 2d, but I'm hammering about the best way to create emumerations.

For example, I'd like only that the server sends packages about units in range of a player, but how to do this isn't as easy as most people think.
Yeah, ofcourse I can loop though all the units x and y pos on registered on the server, but that can lead to giantic loops and slow down server execution.

Now I have a theory in mind, that instead of using x and y positions I just have a unit struct with an unsigned integer named pos. Where I'd do a mathematical formula which would store both the x and y postion in 1 integer. This would seriously improve the loop speed.

However, my experience with c++ isn't that good, in fact I barely know the syntax. So I'd like to ask some of the C++ guru's here if their are better ways to do struct enumerations of player struct position.

Thanks in advance.

GooS

Azrael
Reaction score
Sry for asking but why check for units in range every cycle? shouldn't it only check when an action is made?

Xorifelse

I'd love to elaborate about discussions...........
Reaction score
The basic idea, is that units must be able to wounder around. However, if a player is not in range, the unit struct should be left alone.

Yes, it should enum when an action has been send to the server, however I don't want this game to be a point and click gerne, players should be able to walk around with their keyboard and move the camera with their mouse.

In that sense, it should continue to send packages to the server because an event is fired and the unit moved position?
What I intended was creating the range big enough that the unit structure it is out of view, and the server checks if the player struct moved every, 5 seconds?, and if it did it's going to enum structs around the players position. If no new unit is added the the list, no package is send.

However, this works two ways.
If a unit is dead, a timer is activated reviving the unit after some time.
Upon reviving, the server must either check if that struct is in a player struct list, or it should detect if a player is in range of the revived unit.

This is the best idea I could come up with, however perhaps there are better ways to do this, the reason why I asked.

However, I've changed my mind into making a mmorpg. I'd still be making it but in another gerne. Something more simpler to program, but yet unique. While the asked information is now mostly irrelevant I'd still like to know the outcome.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.