Cant post on Bnet forums, need a hand.

Effane

Save/Load Code Tutorial
Reaction score
So, I am trying to post in the Map Making suggestions forum on Bnet under this topic I have linked, and I cant post. All three of my CD keys say account doesnt exist. And I know it does, but oh well. :banghead:

http://www.battle.net/forums/war3/thread.aspx?fn=war3-maps&t=170041&p=22
So, can someone post the following text on this forum for me? Much thanks in advance for the help.

-------------------------------

I searched and didnt see this suggestion.

The ability to Save and Load a text file or some other file format for multiplayer games.

This is something I have been working around for some time and it would be a big option to have available. Right now Bnet doesnt save just a single players info for them to use later. Alot of multiplayer/bnet games use save/load codes, but its a crude system at best. Its like playing some 1990s console game with level codes. This is evident as an issue in ORPG and other multisession map styles.

Now I know many people are nervous about file creation and exploitation. There are plenty of ways to stop that and make this safe. I will list limitations first so people dont freak out.

Limitations
-Would only save to a specific folder, such as "WarcraftIII\Saves\<MapNameWithoutExtension>\"
-Would not be able to pass a certain file size.
-Saved file would only have the name of the map it was created from and will always end in something like .SAV or .DAT so its not executable.
-Make an option to turn off this feature in WC3 for players, but give the map someway to detect if the feature is off so we dont leave the player out to dry.

Features
-Allot both a generic save/load so average players can save Hero, Gold/Lumber, Items and other simple things with very few commands/actions. This would be fine if it didnt have GUI implementation.
-And a complex custom save/load method or JASS function set. So more advanced map makers can format, add special variables, and even have multiple saved instances in one save file to load from. No way to reasonably do this in GUI, so it would be purely JASS
-This could be pure implementation through caches, or just a simple direct read/write to file access. Caches would be safer though and maybe easier.
-Make sure some form of encryption either is able to be implemented or already in use for the save file.

-----------------------------------

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.