General Catholic board bans 'Golden Compass' indefinitely

Demonwrath

Happy[ExtremelyOverCommercializ ed]HolidaysEveryon
Reaction score
HALTON, Ontario -- "The Golden Compass" and two other books in the "His Dark Materials" trilogy have been banned indefinitely by the Halton Catholic District School Board despite a committee's recommendation that the titles remain on library shelves.

Board chair Alice Anne LeMay told CTV.ca that the committee found the books suitable for students in Grades 7 and up, but the majority of board members voted against the committee's report Tuesday night.

----------------------------------------------------
I find it utterly sad that the Catholics have taken it into their own hands that the kids in the school are not allow to for their own opinions on religion. To me it seems that the Catholic board just wants it's students to become slaves in their religious cult.

Last edited by a moderator:

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
True, but just as you feel you are 100% right, so do they. It's like a mental problem... or thing.

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Don't read this book or your going to hell! - Nun

Says who? - me

:rolleyes:

Demonwrath

Reaction score
I had to deal with this crap in the catholic system when they were debating about letting us read harry potter or not

School Board - There is Witchcraft in it, that goes against our religion
Students - SO!?!!?

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
Don't they know... the more they say don't watch it the more we want too XD

I'm sorry I am Christan (Actually Methodist Christan but w/e) and theres nothing in the bible saying I can't go see a movie or read a book...
Really as a writer I am angry, the Golden compass is a great book :D

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
I'm sorry I am Christan (Actually Methodist Christan but w/e) and theres nothing in the bible saying I can't go see a movie or read a book...

True, this is very true. The only thing I warn all Christians is that when you put in bad things you take out good things (meaning your head). There's plenty of examples, but I know for a fact that if you start heading for all the negative things in life (according to the Bible, you political people), you won't know who Jesus Christ is anymore (and I've done plenty of bad things in life).

Note: I never seen the movie, but this makes me want to see it more. I have a grudge against the Catholic church, sorry Catholic TH members.

ArmedCitizen

Kisses Cats
Reaction score
It isn't right. Even in my town, it was taken out of theaters. People are so narrowed minded and hypocritical. They let everyone see the Chronicles of Narnia but they let no one see this? Let people make the decisions themselves!

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
It isn't right. Even in my town, it was taken out of theaters. People are so narrowed minded and hypocritical. They let everyone see the Chronicles of Narnia but they let no one see this? Let people make the decisions themselves!

They took it out of the theater... Unlike some parts of this country we still follow the law
The State will not be controlled by the Church,
I plainly don't get it ...

undeadorcjerk

The Ulitimate TheHelper.net Lurker
Reaction score
I'm thinking this boarders on illegal. If the school is an all Catholic school, then no. But having religion determine whether or not children can read a book in a public school is illegal.

Demonwrath

Reaction score
Their are two main reasons I believe why they banned and removed that books;

1. The book was written my an atheist man who always strongly tells people his believes.

2. In the book there is a religious cult that is trying to control the world I believe. The Catholics are paranoid that this cult is the Catholic religion.

I'm thinking this boarders on illegal. If the school is an all Catholic school, then no. But having religion determine whether or not children can read a book in a public school is illegal.

This is something that Catholic School Board has done, it has nothing to do with the Public School Board. So it is only the Catholic School this happened to. Either way Halton is just like 30 minutes from my city so it is only a matter of time before our CSB decides to follow suit.

SilverHawk

General Iroh - Dragon of the West
Reaction score
I'm Catholic, and I've read (and enjoyed) the entire series. I do that because I acknowledge that the series is fiction, and would only contradict my beliefs if were true.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.