Changing damage

moonlight

Reaction score
Hello, I have a weird problem where the damage of a hero changes when he picks up an item, his base damage is 4-9 (agility as main stat) and the item adds some agility, but when he picks up the item, the damage changes to 5-10 (+ some numbers). Anyone has a clue of why the base damage changes?

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
the primary attribute also affects damage, you can disable this in the gameplay constants

Genkora

Frog blast the vent core!
Reaction score
yes, but the added damage would be put after a + sign. The only way the base damage could increase (to my knowledge) is if his base agility changed, or he leveled up.

moonlight

Reaction score
yeah, I also found it very strange, cause it changes back when he drops the item (it has nothing to do with level up, and the problem is not that he gains damage (not after the + sign), but still can't understand why the base damage changes...)

Happy

Reaction score
i know it this way :
adding bonus damage : shown as a green number behind a + sign
but if youre adding main attribute then wc3 changes the dmg (white number) because you have more main attribute and the green number behind is the bonus damage. it this way :
main damage (the white number) uses complete main attribute

bonus damage (the green number) just uses the added attribute (the green number behind the main attribute) and the added damage (an item adding 50 dmg for example)

so it looks like this :
7-9 normal

adding some main attribute =>

8-10 + 4

this is just an example...

i hope you all got it now and the problem is solved.

greetz happy

moonlight

Reaction score
Thanks for the help so far (+creds), but I have one thing left to ask:

Exactly when does the main damage change, because I noticed that when I pick up item #1 (all items change main attribute, but with different numbers) the main damage increased by 1 (8-10), item #2 = main damage increased further by 1 (9-11) and when I finally pick up item #3 = main damage decreased by 1 again (8-10), I just can't find the pattern of how this change works. (if you want the attribute changes I can check them)

(it might be worth to mention that each main attribute increases damage by 1½, I am wondering if this is the thing behind all of this).

Happy

Reaction score
i would like to know which items you used because i never had an item adding main attribute but decreasing dmg.....so pls tell me the items (if custom made tell me what the item adds) and the hero so i can test it myself.

now without testing i have no clue....

greetz happy

moonlight

Reaction score
I can try to create a small map with the items needed (+ a hero), just for testing and then upload it so that you can try it out. (it will probably be uploaded by Sunday), thx for the help btw ;)

moonlight

Reaction score
There, I uploaded a small map with a hero 5-10 damage and 3 items which if you pick them up in order 1, 2, 3 they will increase the damage to 6-11 (+ numbers) then to 7-12 (+ numbers) then back to 6-11 (+ numbers).

Hope this can help ;)

Attachments

• testmap.w3x
    16.3 KB · Views: 167

jackall

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
thats because damage is a real value so, if its for example less than or equal to 4.4 it shows up as 4 but if its between 4.5 and 5 it shows up as 5
so basically warcraft just rounds up/down damage

moonlight

Reaction score
That would mean:
base damage without items: 5-10
each agi point gives 1½ damage
item 1 gives 1 agi

damage with item 1 in inventory: 5-10 + 1½ = 6-11 + 1 (instead of 5-10 + 2)

---------------------------------------

that would explain what happens when you pick up the first item in the testmap, but the base damage changes again after the second item (to 7-12) I find this quite strange... (and then changes back to 6-11 while having all 3 items in the inventory)

Manix

Reaction score
If you've noticed, damage per attribute point is actually a REAL value, try setting it to an Integer? I mean 1,2,3 etc not 1.01/1.96 or wtvr

moonlight

Reaction score
The only problem with that is that 1½ damage is what the agility should give in my map...

I don't have a real problem with the damage changing, but I can't understand how it works, that's what my thread is about (increased understanding)

KileRatZ

Reaction score
I noticed the same thing in one of the maps.
My hero (let's say his primary att. is Agility) would pick up multiple Amulets of Agility +15, with each agility increasing damage by 0.6 (so 15 agi -> 9 damage). First 3 amulets increased the green bonus damage by 9 each. But the fourth increases the base damage by 4 and green bonus damage by further 5.

I consider it a war3 interface bug.

jackall

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
no offense... or maybe because an integer looks better than a real in just about any interface

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

• Ghan
        Administrator - Servers are fun

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.