UK News Christian refuses to drive athiest bus

DogOfHavoc

Future Tragedy
Reaction score
Honestly, there is nothing wrong with this man saying no to driving the bus. It offends his beliefs. He didn't ask them to take down the ads, he just said he wouldn't drive them around. People are so quick to attack Christians because it the popular thing to do. If the sign had been about supporting a political party, and the man had refused to drive it people would not be so quick to attack him. As soon as I read the OP, I knew it wouldn't be long till i found anti-christian posts. I wasn't disappointed.

As a side note, don't assume I'm christian. I'm not going to state my beliefs (or possible lack thereof) because they are irrelevant to the validity of my previous statement.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
If the sign had been about supporting a political party, and the man had refused to drive it people would not be so quick to attack him.

Check the people that didn't give candy out to kid's whose parents supported certain candidates.

Atheist or religious, people will still 'attack' people who refuse certain things like Ads on a bus.

Akatsuki

Reaction score
I'm sure that there are bus drivers that refuses to drive the bus because the bus has a picture of his most hated Baseball/Football team. Then again, this might not be the best example because Baseball and Football teams are like gods to some groups of people.

1. _________ is the best team in the world
2. You shall make no other team above _________
3. Thou shall keep the Sundays free for Sunday Football
4. Honor thy athletes
5. Thou shall not boo for _______
6. Thous shall make a yearly travel to a Television to watch the Super Bowl.
etc.

DogOfHavoc

Future Tragedy
Reaction score
My point was, there is no valid reason to attack this man because he refused to go against his beliefs. His Christianity is the reason why this thread quickly deteriorated into discussion of Christianity in general. The fact that he is Christian was used as a means characterize him as silly. When in fact atheism and religion are equally silly. I'm pointing out that were he not Christian this whole situation would not be "newsworthy".

esb

Reaction score
The fact that he is Christian was used as a means characterize him as silly.
No, the fact that he made such a big deal over a few words on paper is what makes him silly.
Don't worry, everyone made fun of the Atheists trying to remove "God so help us" from the oath too.

Seb!

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I'm pointing out that were he not Christian this whole situation would not be "newsworthy".

This isn't really even newsworthy. The point isn't that he's Christian, it's that he's the type of person to cause a commotion and bring attention because of something like an advertisement on a bus. It could have been anything that he disagreed with.

DogOfHavoc

Future Tragedy
Reaction score
Notice that I put newsworthy in " "s. Furthermore, it didn't say he made a commotion. He simply refused to drive an ad around that offended him. I'm pretty sure no one would think it was a problem if a black man refused to drive a bus with an ad for the KKK on it. Yes, that's a very extreme example but it illustrates the point well.

Seb!

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Furthermore, it didn't say he made a commotion.

Yes, well, a commotion was made.

He simply refused to drive an ad around that offended him.

This is what I take issue with. Does he have to believe what it says?

I'm pretty sure no one would think it was a problem if a black man refused to drive a bus with an ad for the KKK on it. Yes, that's a very extreme example but it illustrates the point well.

That's completely different, and he would probably drive it anyway.

DogOfHavoc

Future Tragedy
Reaction score
Yes, well, a commotion was made.
That isn't his fault. That's the fault of the media who classify events like this as "news".

This is what I take issue with. Does he have to believe what it says?
If he says he does, then he does. If he feels uncomfortable with helping in the advertisement of something he doesn't believe in, there should be no issue with him refusing to do it.

That's completely different, and he would probably drive it anyway.
It's not completely different. Both examples include someone refusing to advertise for something they are opposed to. One may be more drastic, but they are both understandable.

Also, I'm going to take the "he would probably do it anyway" as sarcasm.

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
It says "There is probably no God"; which isn't offensive and so whimsically lighthearted you can't really argue with it.

People just need to stop thinking political correctness means bending over backwards for people who have an obvious bias. This isn't even "free" speech; someone paid for the adverts and as such should have their advertisement driven round as desired without complaints.

No-no-no.

How is this a politically incorrect/correct issue? Complaints are part of free speech, genius. Is it slowing down the advance of human evolution? Sure, but you gotta understand that some people are different from you. They have the right to voice their opinion too. If a Christian bus driver doesn't want to drive a bus that has a pagan phrase, then he shouldn't be forced or even expected by the general population to drive it. But that's only my opinion.

Honestly, I think there was no need to post this article. TH just wants to get his kicks from watching teenagers duke it out on a senseless discussion about the value of religion. I'm kidding, man.

esb

Reaction score
TH just wants to get his kicks from watching teenagers duke it out on a senseless discussion about the value of religion.

It all makes sense now.

And yeah, he has his right to not keep his job and not drive the atheist bus.
I still keep my right to say he whines about little things. But little things go a long way... or something like that.

MurderMode

Giving new meaning to co-op... slowly
Reaction score
The £140,000 atheist advertising campaign features the slogan: "There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life."

The problem is he's getting all amped up over the first sentence and not reading the rest. If most religious people took this advert on as a way of life the world would be a better place. Who cares about sucking your way into a 'hopeful' chance of getting into heaven when you make life hell by doing so?

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
The problem is he's getting all amped up over the first sentence and not reading the rest. If most religious people took this advert on as a way of life the world would be a better place. Who cares about sucking your way into a 'hopeful' chance of getting into heaven when you make life hell by doing so?

I didn't know there was a problem. The bus driver chose to devote himself to his God just like you like to devote yourself to your ideas and theories. That's not a bad thing. You can do whatever you please; that's your human right. But there are consequences for everything. The bus driver chose to be a Christian. Thus he decided he must stand up for that belief even if it meant quitting his job. Can't you just appreciate the man's nobility to his belief? He could've just took the job, yet he choose not to because a single phrase on the bus had a very pagan tone.

The sentence would also make the man embarrassed or feel uncomfortable. What if an atheist was forced by his Christian boss to wear a Jesus costume and carry a cross all around down town preaching the gospel. Would you expect the person to do this job just because he should keep a job? No, it's humiliating. The bus driver knew it would be humiliating for him to drive around town with such an advertisement on his vehicle. He loves his God, so he shouldn't be expected to love him in private.

Now, as much as I love independence I can understand it becomes a problem. Sometimes a person snaps while he/she is in a certain position. Usually it'd be a Christian told to sell books like "The Origin of Species," or it could be an atheist in Jesus attire. These individuals are doing something that doesn't feel right. Now, you may tell them to suck it up and just do the job, but while they bottle up all that emotion sooner or later a customer will make a subtly comment that'd enrage the employee. While the person either verbally abuses the customer or physically attacks him, the person will be in big trouble. He'd lose his job, and someone will sue him. The media would make him infamous, and no one would want to employ him. He'd be just a victim of accidents like we all are.

CaptDeath

Reaction score
well just to add to this
in Washington state there was atheist that made it so there would be no "christmas" imo basically no jesus and what not
so if we cant enjoy christmas then why should we let them have the POS adds?

Berserk

Reaction score
I wouldn't get angry due to one sentence...
I've been told multiple times that I'll go to hell since I don't believe in God.
I still don't care if they say "There is a God"... None of my business.
What comes to the buss, I wouldn't have any problem riding a buss that supported religion... or was against it. So I find this to be silly not to drive a bus due to one sentence.

esb

Reaction score
Yeah he can do what he wants. We do what we want, and laugh at what he does.

I just think there's bigger things to worry about. Unless (obviously) he cares about it soooo much.

H34DhUnT3r

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
No, you may not add that. That is exactly what the christians say. They say that everyone is welcome, and that god is forgiving:nuts:

If god was forgiving, then they would not need hell now would they?

I can turn this all day, and it will still stay the same.

I am not christian, nor atheist.

with all due respect.. but you don't know shit about the christian believes..

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.