Classroom: Persuation & Debate

Father_Yetti

Reaction score
uh, has anyone except esb read this?

I just read it, and I appreciate the effort you are putting out. Unfortunately at this time I am extremely crunched for time, but may be able to make some in the next couple of days. I'll keep posting and watching how things progress.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
I have a question, exactly what are we looking for? (For the homework)

Any subject? Like what?

New_U.S.

ITS OVER 9000!
Reaction score
my bad, wasnt clear on that

umm, any subject works, just say what subject it is for when you give all the sources

esb

Reaction score
No but like... what should it be like?

"I am for abortion because ...."
or "The iraq war is negative on our economy because..."

Rheias

New Helper (I got over 2000 posts)
Reaction score
New_U.S. I'm pleased to see a member with initiative as yours. I appreciate the effort that you are doing. Keep it up! Who knows, if this class works well, a chance may be given to a debate forum.

New_U.S.

ITS OVER 9000!
Reaction score
I got bored so I decided to post...
Lession 2

We have now covered preperation before you debate. Now we need to learn how to use this information effictivly. For this we need two "vocab" words - Analysis and Synthesis. Analysis is taking one big piece of info and breaking it down into smaller pieces of info. Don't worry about physically doing analysis, if you know your facts well enough then you're good. Its synthesis that is the more important part.
Synthesis is taking small pieces of information and putting them together to make the big picture (or what you want the big picture to look like). Adding up these pieces of information should be used to paint a picture that will support your view. When debating, it is best to show your synthesis in a very spelled out way. In this I mean, leave no holes, make it idiot proof.
I'll use a very basic example:

You find that..
1) A stange sort of food makes you come down with a strange sickness
2) This strange food only grows in Argentina
3) The President was just in Argentina and is now sick.

You add up the pieces of info and find that maybe the President ate this strange food. No facts are there to say that he did, but you can guess. The example above is not the best but it gets the point across. Technically, your synthesis doesn't need to be all hard facts. Common thoughts can be used to bridge together pieces of info or to take information one step farther. For example, taking our previously used strange food - Presidential sickness story, you could guess that the President was probably eating with important people and top officials, not random people on the street. These people would be smart and not feed the President harmful foods. However he is still sick so maybe he was feed this food to make him sick. You see?! Most of that was just inference. Use this multiple times on different pieces of information and maybe you might show something that supports your views.
This sort of thought of events can be used to predict future events, and explain why things have happened. DO NOT get too far ahead of yourself. At the end of the entire thing if you look at the picture as a whole and it is too illogical, then you have gone too far. You are using out of the box logic. If you can't think logical then you can't really convince anyone of anything. However if you don't have enough imagination to think up anything then how do you expect to solve problems.
This sounds a lot like the relevence from your origenal facts you collect, and it is, but its just one step farther.

This should only be used on your main points. If all your points sound like really "what if" or sound like conspiracy theories, then its just annoying. Your main arguements will be showing information and logical pieces of information and adding it together to support your own view.
Once you can think of good ways to present your view, you should do it in a structured order. If you're saying theres problems with the system or you are answering attacks, you could structure it like this-
[A1]Problem/Attack
[B1]Answer to Problem/Attack
[A2]
[B2]

or

[A1]
[A2]
[A3]
[B1]
[B2]
[B3]

You can stucture it however you want as long as you are not jumping all over the place looking up different parts. Its just makes it easier for the reader.
My final suggestion is knowing who you are talking to. I can probably guess you talk differently to your parents then you do with your friends. In debates, you must know who you are persuading and how they think. This means for TH, you shouldn't be talking like your in the ghetto, but it shouldnt sound like another language or we need a dictionary to understand you.

Thats all for this lession. No homework. Questions or anything you want to add, just post it or PM me.

New_U.S.

ITS OVER 9000!
Reaction score
BUMP / Please say if you read it, I'm not making these for noone to read!

~THX!:D, New

esb

Reaction score
I read them, but there isn't much/anything to post.

I learned most of this in my history class :p

New_U.S.

ITS OVER 9000!
Reaction score
Hmmm, have like 3 readers. I'll make the last basic lession in 5-7 buisness days and not go any farther in. Then I bet when I say "Iraq Debate" we have ppl ready to say it was a bad idea and shit like that. I guess I should tell you the rest of my plan for classroom-

1) Make final lession
2) Post debate (topic will probably be course of action now in Iraq to generate more interest)
3) Start debate and see how it goes.

Hopefully people with be mature. You have the topic so you can start looking stuff up. Besides from that, pats on the back are greatly accepted for attempting this.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.