Computer randomly resets

Renendaru

(Evol)ution is nothing without love.
Reaction score
Just installed a new Motherboard, Processor, and graphics card, but the computer will randomly restart itself, no warnings, nothing. If I try to open any game that used 3d graphics, it resets itself. If I leave it on, it resets itself in a random interval.

Card is Ati Raden HD 4200, graphics.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
And the CPU and motherboard?

Are you sure you followed the steps correctly in attaching your heatsink? If the heatsink didn't come with a thermal substance already on it then you have to apply your own!

Restart your comp, go into the BIOS and look through the menus till you find one that displays your CPU and your motherboard temperatures? What do they read?

Renendaru

Reaction score
AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 435 is the processor.
GA-MA785GMT-UD2H is a Gigabyte motherboard.

I'm pretty sure the issue is the power supply, since it's only a 500w Power supply, with the new motherboard and processor, and graphics card installed.

sqrage

Reaction score
500w is plenty for that. Check the temperatures. If you can't find it in the bios then download SpeedFan and check it out. Definitely sounds like a heat issue to me.

Renendaru

Reaction score
Well I'm looking at it and it's saying the temperature is about 27 C, but it will spike really bad at times up to temperatures that are dangerous for the computer..

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
Well I'm looking at it and it's saying the temperature is about 27 C, but it will spike really bad at times up to temperatures that are dangerous for the computer..

27C is very low - room temperature low (80º f), what temp is that? cpu? also, does it give you a BSOD (blue screen of death)? any errors on that screen that you can see?

Renendaru

Reaction score
27C is very low - room temperature low (80º f), what temp is that? cpu? also, does it give you a BSOD (blue screen of death)? any errors on that screen that you can see?

I used to get a blue screen of death, but as of late it has not appeared. When I did get them it was talking about my video card, but it's perfectly fine, I tested it thoroughly. After that, an hour, the BSOD's dissapeared and now it simply resets itself.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
after this "update", did you go get new drivers for everything (graphics/motherboard atleast?)

Renendaru

Reaction score
The drivers I have are from the disc that came with the motherboard, ATI had no updates, motherboard is at newest, everything is at the newest version.

sqrage

Reaction score
By "dangerous" temperatures, what do you mean?

And are you sure you're looking at the correct field? It's typically Temp1 not Core0 core 1 etc. that is important.

Renendaru

Reaction score
Well, I made it so it would show the BSOD now... Apparently a graphics error. Might be a faulty card, so what should I do then.

sqrage

Reaction score
I'd check the temp of the video card. If it's alarming or even if it isn't, I'd RMA it.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
just a FYI - there is no "card", the 4200 is integrated, meaning it's the motherboard you would be RMAing, and you would need to take out the CPU + memory first

you might just be better off buying a cheap graphics card

edit: you said you bought a card, what card did you buy? the 4200 is not a card and is integrated into the motherboard?

DarkRevenant

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
It could be any number of things.

1. A spiking PSU or insufficient PSU can cause random restarts.
2. A non-professional-level motherboard coupled with a horribly faulty video chip/card, or any other device in the expansion slots, can restart when the device fails for whatever reason.
3. Overheating CPU, video card/chip, or RAM will cause a system crash, plus a restart.
4. A motherboard-connected device that is rocked out of place, not firmly in the slot, or wiggled sufficiently so that it loses connection with its host, will cause the system to instantly crash.

A while ago my computer would randomly restart if I tapped the case. Eventually I got fed up and wiggled each component in turn. The computer apparently shat itself when i poked the RAM.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.