Connecting two computers

Reaction score
Not really easy question, or is it?

If I wanted to connect two computers, but the only way is:

Connecting one computer via bluetooth to a cell phone
Connecting cell phone to the other computer via USB cable.

Now, is it possible to connect two computers using this hybrid connection?

enouwee

Non ex transverso sed deorsum
Reaction score
That could work, if one phone acts as dial-in server and the other does the call.
But it's going to be very slow and very expensive. Are you sure you want to do that? :p

Reaction score
No, you didnt get the idea. It's much easier for me to use bluetooth phone as a modem for it is like 1ct/MB

What I've meant is to connect devices as in:
Code:
 ______    cell-phone->   _|  Computer ->   ____             
|Laptop| (Bluetooth)     | |               |    |
|___ __| ))) ))) ))) ))) |_| (USB cable)   |    |        |Internet|
                              \___________/[____|\_______/

It's more like "Is it possible to do" question, as I know it's not practical at all ;)

juty

Zoom out problems look smaller
Reaction score
It might be possible but do u want to go on the net with it? Because I used 30 dollars of credit connecting my phone to my pc via bluetooth for 20 minutes note I was using the net

enouwee

Reaction score
What I've meant is to connect devices as in:
Code:
 ______    cell-phone->   _|  Computer ->   ____             
|Laptop| (Bluetooth)     | |               |    |
|___ __| ))) ))) ))) ))) |_| (USB cable)   |    |        |Internet|
                              \___________/[____|\_______/

I doubt a cellphone can be misused as USB-to-Bluetooth bridge. It'll listen at most to one PC, but not at both.

Why don't you interconnect both PCs using a USB cable?

Reaction score
Connecting two PC's via USB would fry the motherboard :)

I just used my LAN cable, althrough it's not very handy for a laptop as each doors I pass usually end up slicing my cable. Anyway, I still can't connect to the internet as the port 192.168.0.1 doesn't work on host computer when connecting laptop to it, and on laptop internet settings I can't set it to connect to internet via other IP, it gives me "Port mapping Failed" error to which I haven't found solution yet.

enouwee

Reaction score
Connecting two PC's via USB would fry the motherboard :)

A-A cables may only be used to connect peripherals, not computers. But as you'd have to buy a USB cable anyways, just purchase a "bridge" one. Or use Firewire if available, it doesn't require such gadgets.

I just used my LAN cable, althrough it's not very handy for a laptop as each doors I pass usually end up slicing my cable.
:confused:

Anyway, I still can't connect to the internet as the port 192.168.0.1 doesn't work on host computer when connecting laptop to it, and on laptop internet settings I can't set it to connect to internet via other IP, it gives me "Port mapping Failed" error to which I haven't found solution yet.

If you've got a router, connect both PCs to it and you're done. The hard way is to configure the PC as gateway and make the notebook connect to the internet through it. Requires two network cards inside your PC, ICS (if you're on XP or 3rd party NAT software) as well as some serious networking knowledge.

Reaction score
"I just used my LAN cable, althrough it's not very handy for a laptop as each doors I pass usually end up slicing my cable."

I like to go outside to balcony, to kitchen and various other places with laptop. And usually someone decides to close the doors right before noticing that there is a cable in the doorway ;)

I've got a Cable connection to internet, I've got 2 LAN Cards, and I've already connected both computers. Yet, HTTP server (port 80) seems to no way accept the first computer as the host, and my non static IP is automatically assigned by my ISP.

And I don't have "some serious networking knowledge." :p

That's why I'm asking for help here ;)

enouwee

Reaction score
I like to go outside to balcony, to kitchen and various other places with laptop. And usually someone decides to close the doors right before noticing that there is a cable in the doorway ;)
That's why "they" invented wireless networking. Apparently it's "great". One day I'm going to configure one to annoy the neighbours. :p

I've got a Cable connection to internet, I've got 2 LAN Cards, and I've already connected both computers.

So, you've got (replace by your own IPs/netmasks):
Code:
  [B]Notebook[/B]    --------->       [B]PC[/B]       --------->    [B]Internet[/B]
(10.0.0.2/24)     (10.0.0.1/24)  (public IP)

You've got two solutions. Either install/configure the following on your PC:
  • address translation: the easiest way is probably the ICS, that comes with XP. While the PC acts as gateway for your notebook, the notebook uses the following configuration:
    • IP: 10.0.0.2
    • Netmask: 255.255.255.0
    • Gateway: 10.0.0.1
    • DNS: the one from your ISP or 10.0.0.1 if ICS provides relaying
  • a proxy, be it SOCKS or HTTP. You won't be able to play games, but it's more than enough to surf. On the notebook, you'd set 10.0.0.1 as proxy in your browser.

Reaction score
Actually, I've set it all up like

First Computer:

LAN 1 (Internet)
Automatic

LAN 2

IP: 192.168.0.200
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: Empty
DNS: Empty

Laptop:

IP: 192.168.0.199
Gateway: 192.168.0.200

The oddity in here is that computers share data perfectly, and laptop even got Internet Gateway up (sort of):
internetla2.jpg

Still, internet doesn't work, the only thing that it let's through is Torrent.

Yet, on "Settings" it does not let me to set host for the internet connection on this network to be computer with IP:192.168.0.200 , just throws out "Configuration of port mapping failed" and unchecks the internet connection.

And, if I try to assign 192.168.0.1 IP adress to the first computer and 192.168.0.2 IP adress with 192.168.0.1 Mask to the Laptop, I get "Limtied or no connectivity" problem.

enouwee

Reaction score
Laptop:

IP: 192.168.0.199
Gateway: 192.168.0.200

Not good. What's the output of nslookup www.google.com ? Should you not get an answer (compare the output of your PC and notebook), you have to fill in the official DNS servers of your ISP, or try 192.168.0.199 (assuming ICS has a DNS relay feature, as mentioned above).

Other possible cause: the personal firewall on your PC prevents the notebook from accesing the internet.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.